White Noise Texture

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

02 Aug 2015

Hi!

I have been trying for a while now, to make a white noise woosh that descends in frequency rather than ascends, so falls and not rises. I want it to sound like a jumbo jet landing on a runway.

I have used the Subtractor and tried the Thor. The Subtractor sounds too atmospheric if you get me, too much like your old tv set when you used to have the maggots sounding. I have the filter type on BP 24 as the HP sounded too hissy and high and the 2 LP's sounded too deep and hurricane like. I found the BP24 to be the best. So I found the best starting point was to have the filter resolution set to 64 and to start with the frequency at 79 and descend it down using automation.

As I said, I want the white noise to be smooth. I tried the RV7000 and helped a bit and tried EQ but still not quite getting there.

How would people here make there white noise sound smooth and not too atmospheric? any other tips too for making it sound better.

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

pLansford

02 Aug 2015

Descent - automate LP filter down
Ascent - automate LP filter up

A little bit of resonance helps too - like 1/4.

I put a High Pass Filter around 600hz on the channel of the white noise. That will take care of the deep noise you describe. Reverb is good too. For the airplane effect, I think I'd try using a flanger. I like my white noise atmospheric.

Creativemind

02 Aug 2015

pLansford wrote:Descent - automate LP filter down
Ascent - automate LP filter up

A little bit of resonance helps too - like 1/4.

I put a High Pass Filter around 600hz on the channel of the white noise. That will take care of the deep noise you describe. Reverb is good too. For the airplane effect, I think I'd try using a flanger. I like my white noise atmospheric.
Hi!

Nice what it does to the sound, the CF-101 Chorus/Flanger and I can see what you mean there, but not the desired effect I was going for. I just said a jumbo jet landing sound cause that's what I thought it sounded like to me in my head.

pLansford

02 Aug 2015

Creativemind wrote:I just said a jumbo jet landing sound cause that's what I thought it sounded like to me in my head.
I would find a recording of a jumbo jet landing, drop it into an NNXT patch, add some effects and save it for future reference.

pLansford

02 Aug 2015

Oooh lookie lookie. I guess people really like that sound.

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... ger#p20114

Creativemind

02 Aug 2015

Nice one but both you guys have misconstrued what I'm saying. I don't want it to sound like a jumbo jet. I just thought I did at the beginning of this thread, but turns out not lol!

pLansford

02 Aug 2015

Creativemind wrote:Nice one but both you guys have misconstrued what I'm saying. I don't want it to sound like a jumbo jet. I just thought I did at the beginning of this thread, but turns out not lol!
Good luck and may the force be with you.

Jagwah

03 Aug 2015

Here's something I tried:

Automate Subtractor's LP12 filter from open to closed,
Add an MClass EQ and automate the Lo Shelf gain to boost at the same time, adjusting all settings to taste.

bpmorton

04 Aug 2015

here is a Jet flyby patch I made. Probably not what you are looking for but useful anyway. you need 8.3 to use it as it's got a convolution rev patch in it.

Brian
Attachments
Jet Airplane (3).zip
(1.73 KiB) Downloaded 53 times

• Information