Basic Question: BV512 Vocoder...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Aggie

05 Dec 2015

I don't know why I am struggling to find this out - and I think I already know the answer, but...

I have Reason 8 Essentials - there doesn't appear to be a vocoder pre-installed. Can I purchase BV512 seperately and, if I do, will it work with Essentials? I don't think it is compatible?

So, aside from the obvious "upgrade to Reason 8 and get BV512 with it..." - are there any vocoder elements that work well within Reason Essentials? Any recommendations?

Thanks!
aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

K.Markov

05 Dec 2015

hi,
you can buy RP Predator and use it as vocoder :)

Aggie

05 Dec 2015

...excuse my ignorance but isn't that a full product alternative?

I'm looking for a rack extension of some kind, that works as a vocoder in Reason Essentials... not sure if it exists, though.

Thanks,
aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

platzangst

05 Dec 2015

Aggie wrote:...excuse my ignorance but isn't that a full product alternative?

I'm looking for a rack extension of some kind, that works as a vocoder in Reason Essentials... not sure if it exists, though.

Thanks,
aggie
To answer your original question more fully:

The BV512 is a native Reason device, and is not available as a separate Rack Extension. You have to have the full version of Reason to get the BV512. There really isn't an actual independent vocoder RE as such, but some other RE devices have vocoders built in, or vocoder-like features. Bitspeek, for example, can reduce an incoming voice signal down to a robotic-sounding tone, but isn't an actual vocoder - and Propellerhead's Parsec synth has a vocoder mode, but you would be paying to buy that entire synth, as you would with PredatorRE. The Sugar Bytes Vocodizer is a somewhat different device, as it features a limited number of internal sounds to be modulated by incoming audio, and has some automated routines for arpeggiated effects.

But as for a standalone vocoder, that takes in both carrier and modulator signals from external sources, there is no such Rack Extension at the moment. (And that's possibly because the BV512 fills that niche fairly well.)

Aggie

05 Dec 2015

platzangst wrote:
Aggie wrote:...excuse my ignorance but isn't that a full product alternative?

Thanks,
aggie
To answer your original question more fully:

The BV512 is a native Reason device, and is not available as a separate Rack Extension. You have to have the full version of Reason to get the BV512. There really isn't an actual independent vocoder RE as such, but some other RE devices have vocoders built in, or vocoder-like features. Bitspeek, for example, can reduce an incoming voice signal down to a robotic-sounding tone, but isn't an actual vocoder - and Propellerhead's Parsec synth has a vocoder mode, but you would be paying to buy that entire synth, as you would with PredatorRE. The Sugar Bytes Vocodizer is a somewhat different device, as it features a limited number of internal sounds to be modulated by incoming audio, and has some automated routines for arpeggiated effects.

But as for a standalone vocoder, that takes in both carrier and modulator signals from external sources, there is no such Rack Extension at the moment. (And that's possibly because the BV512 fills that niche fairly well.)
Thank you for this - very much appreciated!

aggie
Adam Gill | BandLab

joeyluck

05 Dec 2015

As mentioned above, check out Predator...

But also check out Parsec! I know you're only after a vocoder, but both offer some other things that might interest you.
Parsec has a great vocoder.

And then of course, there is always upgrading to the full version of Reason.

• Information