Anyone ever think of a possible Reason PRO?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

07 Dec 2015

^ Yeah exactly this. I wouldn't say it's a criticism of Reason that presets from different synths don't work together because they have different (or no) FX. I'm the same as Joey; I always turn built in FX off. Unless I'm feeling mega lazy or just trying to jot an idea down. You should set yourself up a decent template with the kinds of effects you're going to want to use. Should save you some time!

eXode

07 Dec 2015

The mixing isn't my best (a bit unbalanced), but anyone dare to take a guess at when these were produced? (no cheating!) :)

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

Ohhh I wouldn't know, eXode... 1998?

Regarding the FX on synths, I must say that generally I've always been turned off by presets on most instruments that have delays and reverbs on. I suppose I'm a tiny minority with that feeling though, but that's alright :) Adding FX myself is a big part of the fun/sound design/mixing process. That said, I understand many work differently, and heavily rely on preset banks. Nothing wrong there!

Ultimately, since the topic is 'Reason PRO', my view is that, as many have pointed out already, the current state of Reason is well beyond what is required to produce professional music. I'd even argue it's possible to do all ITB from songwriting to delivering a finished, mastered product.

Surely, if one is trying to emulate a specific sound, artist, genre, then it's a different story, and I can feel the frustration. I've been there myself when I was a teen and went as far as building my own octave fuzz distortion boxes to sound like a certain Japanese grindcore band (Gore Beyond Necropsy for those who wonder) and I'll say that I got pretty close, but luckily also came across new things, which inspired more original music.

My point is: fighting with the tools is part of the journey, but instead of killing the flow, challenges should be transduced to sparkle creativity and innovation. (Hey, easier said than done, I know, but it's nice to try) Good luck, OP!

eXode

07 Dec 2015

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:Ohhh I wouldn't know, eXode... 1998?
That's harsh, Haha. Reason wasn't released until late 2000 you know. :)

However since I did quite like Ministry of Sound Clubbers Guide to Trance and Trance Nation 3 which was released around 99/00 I'll take that as a copliment. ;)

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

Oh I'm sorry, I completely misunderstood haha! :oops: I switched off my 'technical' listening and genuinely focused on the overall 'vibe' hehe, forgetting it was about guessing production tools..

Marco Raaphorst

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)
Post your PRO music then.
What does "PRO music" mean to you, specifically?

Does it need to be registered with a PRO? :puf_smile:
i'm pretty good at minxing but comparing music with the RPOs like The Crystal Method or Hybrid never sounds like that. Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
He said this: "And that sound we got out of Reason is something that we now and again had to go back to Reason to duplicate; sometimes we'd do a thing in ProTools and it just didn't rock it like Reason did, so we'd take it out of ProTools and try to duplicate it in Reason instead." - https://www.propellerheads.se/substance ... am-howlett

TLDR version: Liam says Pro Tools sucks and Reason rocks.

lowpryo

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:Hey people, lets move on please. And to those who say learn Reason, here's one of my best shot so far: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13093889
Yup, not bad. I know what is my real problem. It's my own demand to top myself. Used to do music for fun 5 years ago, but it got too serious.
I'm just curious, could you share the project file for this track? I hear some things that I would personally change about the sound design / mixing... and they are things that Reason is perfectly capable of doing! maybe others can join in too for a little boardie challenge. we can destroy the "Reason sound" myth together! (or perhaps prove it?! who knows...)

Vince-Noir-99

07 Dec 2015

I will add, eXode, I'm not too familiar with dance genres, but my guess came as a result of an instant association with the film Trainspotting and my first groovebox (Roland MC505) which I got in 2000. Not to say it sounds like the MC but some of the arpeggios and patches (to me completely exotic back then) seem familiar because of that. I'm glad you mentioned trance, I wondered if it would be related :)

submonsterz

07 Dec 2015

Skullture wrote:
deepndark wrote:
joeyluck wrote:We have Reason Pro already. It's called Reason. The non-pro version is Reason Essentials ;)

made on Reason (pre version 6)

Now run to a different forum boy ;)
Ahh a sir James sample ;). Did you pay much to use that ?
Remember it being on strictly rhythm if I'm right ???

Iapetus 9

07 Dec 2015

Vince-Noir-99 wrote:
My point is: fighting with the tools is part of the journey, but instead of killing the flow, challenges should be transduced to sparkle creativity and innovation. (Hey, easier said than done, I know, but it's nice to try) Good luck, OP!
This. Music is a journey, and sometimes it ain't easy. Nothing worth creating is most of the time. If your biggest worries are DAW sound and workflow, then I'd suggest you put down that big glass of Pro Juice and get another hobby.
38L > 51D every time.

chimp_spanner

07 Dec 2015

The only thing I have a hard time with in Reason is getting those Nexus/keyboard workstation kind of sounds. I've got synths for days, but rich, layered sample instruments, not so many. Perhaps I've been neglecting ReFills in favour of REs?

Skullture

07 Dec 2015

submonsterz wrote:
Skullture wrote:
deepndark wrote:

made on Reason (pre version 6)

Now run to a different forum boy ;)
Ahh a sir James sample ;). Did you pay much to use that ?
Remember it being on strictly rhythm if I'm right ???
Correct. I don't know if the label Surkin released it on (Institubes) actually paid royalties for it.

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

eXode wrote:The mixing isn't my best (a bit unbalanced), but anyone dare to take a guess at when these were produced? (no cheating!) :)

2013 ?!?!
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

Skullture

07 Dec 2015

CharlyCharlzz wrote:
eXode wrote:The mixing isn't my best (a bit unbalanced), but anyone dare to take a guess at when these were produced? (no cheating!) :)

2013 ?!?!
This would sound "modern" if you change the tempo to 126bpm, use different percussion, chop the synths, and sidechain compress the living hell out of it.

EnochLight

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:Remember when Liam Howlett from Prodigy said "Reason doesn't sound as good as the other DAWs. I actually agree!
Cool story, bro. Liam used Reason goddamn 2.5 to produce AONO - back in 2003-2004... are you seriously going to sit there and claim that Reason 8.3 sounds the same as 2.5? :roll:

*EDIT - never mind; I just read on the other page you put this thread to rest. Ignore! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

@Skullture , yes it would but put this beat in a nice extrem sport video montage and it become timeless .
that sayed it is almost the same synth in your soundcloud link then on the exode Legacy one

CharlyCharlzz

07 Dec 2015

joeyluck wrote: This is why I typically disable and don't use internal effects and use FX sends.
If you think two synths mix well together simply because they have patches with their own reverbs applied; wait until you mix a song using the same reverb on things. So much more cohesive. You can of course still use different levels of dry/wetness per channel and pan the effect per channel.
I did that all the time (apart from mixing mono), I used one same reverb on these dry patch's but I'm not the best at choosing the right global reverb , I just like to have a bunch of presets that I dont have to tweek before they sound right in the track.
I still use the room in the ssl mixer with these but a little bit less but now that I read you I realised I can use hydro reverb wich should sound great in the mixer LOL gonna try that out for shure !
Last edited by CharlyCharlzz on 07 Dec 2015, edited 1 time in total.

Dante

07 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:The Reason & Record worked so well when it was there, because it was limited. Now I have so much more because of the REs. I am really close sometimes, when I feel "this rocks" but I feel like Reason doesn't make it easy to make a sound I'm after. You?
Reason by itself wont get the sound Im after. But Reason with it's SSL mixer then mastered with Scope DSP @ 96Khz does !
scope-xite-1d-big-1.jpg
scope-xite-1d-big-1.jpg (87.56 KiB) Viewed 1995 times

Lov2sing

07 Dec 2015

I don't think it is the software of Reason that makes others feel they are without, but it is the ability to integrate hardware to the software. Many hardware companies do not support Reason, therefore when you are looking for that so called high quality sound it is not just software but hardware dedicated to a particular DAW. Look at Pro-tools, if you get there complete setup, be willing to fork out many thousands of dollars. Reason tried to get into hardware with Balance however it was to small to make large recording needs a possibility. Maybe if PH would foster a relationship with another company like they did with Line6, then maybe others companies would see the software as I do. I love it.
We make music for a reason

craven

07 Dec 2015

this thread turned out to be quite interesting and actually productive. I like the idea of improving a track within reason only as a community challenge.
:ugeek:

avasopht
Competition Winner

08 Dec 2015

I am Reason Pro!

deepndark

08 Dec 2015

lowpryo wrote:
deepndark wrote:Hey people, lets move on please. And to those who say learn Reason, here's one of my best shot so far: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13093889
Yup, not bad. I know what is my real problem. It's my own demand to top myself. Used to do music for fun 5 years ago, but it got too serious.
I'm just curious, could you share the project file for this track? I hear some things that I would personally change about the sound design / mixing... and they are things that Reason is perfectly capable of doing! maybe others can join in too for a little boardie challenge. we can destroy the "Reason sound" myth together! (or perhaps prove it?! who knows...)
This is a first project I uploaded to Propellerheads: The REs used are: Antidote, Predator, Quad, Resampler, Uhbik-A.
You need Reason 8.3 for this. But yeah, lets feckin see what we can do. :thumbs_up: :D
https://www.propellerheads.se/s/do7M6FAC

deepndark

08 Dec 2015

And here's another one that could use some more stuff going on.
REs used: Antidote, Predator, Tsar 1R, Resampler, Selig De-esser: https://www.propellerheads.se/s/tlsUV7TB

Digitus

08 Dec 2015

deepndark wrote:And here's another one that could use some more stuff going on.
REs used: Antidote, Predator, Tsar 1R, Resampler, Selig De-esser: https://www.propellerheads.se/s/tlsUV7TB
I know this isn't the music forum but I just gotta say I really enjoyed that track. I think it's just about perfect as it stands.... ;) :thumbs_up:

deepndark

08 Dec 2015

Digitus wrote:
deepndark wrote:And here's another one that could use some more stuff going on.
I know this isn't the music forum but I just gotta say I really enjoyed that track. I think it's just about perfect as it stands.... ;) :thumbs_up:
Oh, that's cool - thank you. :puf_smile:

• Information