adding effects question

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Ags

27 Jan 2016

Hi folks once again I need some help and ideas . What I'm thinking of doing is record an acoustic guitar track I'd like to add echo but I only want it on certain parts .

So how would go about it ? just off the top of my head I would think to copy and past just that section of the song to another track and add the echo to that but it seems a little much if there 20 parts or many parts so is there easier way ?

I was wondering about the punch in thingy LOL but I'm not up on how it works or if that even would work for what I want so I leave it to the wise folks here to set me straight :)

Thanks for any help and as always play well . :)

Last Alternative

27 Jan 2016

automation
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Tincture

27 Jan 2016

Create your guitar part then go to the Create Effect... From the drop down create menu... Look in the factory soundbank under All Effects... I think there's a folder called Utilities. Find the 'key...' patch (not the m/s one). Once that's created open the combi by pressing view devices and then replace the MClass eq in there with your echo. You can then automate the Key button to punch your echo in and out. Not at pc so hope I've described it well enough.

Loque

27 Jan 2016

The Echo with the trigger button...

I am not sure what you want to do, but maybe you consider the Shimmer effekts (also described here in the forum) or The Echo with respective dry/wet settings and high Ducking settings.
Reason12, Win10

Ags

28 Jan 2016

ok lets see here .. Tincture can i punch in after the track has been recorded or is this a during the event thing ?

Loque , in my acoustic track I'm trying to record it with the echo on all the time but there's a part here and there where echo delay won't match what I'm finger picking in some other parts of the song the music is softer and then picking attack increases a bit I'm finding hard to match the levels during these parts as well .

I would like to be able to possible accent certain notes at the end of a chord change just an idea not sure how it would sound .

I would say the 2 main issues is echo matching the timing of what I'm playing along with echo volume ..... I'm sorry I'm self taught not great with with music theory and explaining well LOL

does this help or make it worse LOL ?

EthicistBeats

28 Jan 2016

What version of Reason are you in?

But the idea, well at least what I'd do ... is either set one delay/echo that i liked, or two etc., and automate the delay at the parts that i wanted a delay on (or off)

Depending on what version of reason you have you can do it various ways, if you're on the newer versions you can automate the send"s thru the SSL [what i'd do fwiw), if not you can automate the effect amounts thru the 14:2 mixer, or you can automate the bypass/on buttons on whatever delay unit you're going to use.

Peace.

Edit: i'd just record straight in with no effects but if you need effects to get a 'feeling' add them but you can always change the effects after the fact, as long as the effects are ones coming from Reason

Second Edit: Create two delays/echo's and have the predetermined timing and level on them, then you can turn them on and off where you want them, but don't focus on the effects until after it's recorded ...[unless you know how your songs structured and you can automate the delay's before hand to turn on and off at whatever bar you need them to.

HOpe that helps

Loque

29 Jan 2016

Ags, i understand the whish to record live, also the effekts. As others explained, there are other ways beside the Trigger button or the Roll slider in The Echo. You can map a foootcontroller to any of these controls by right click and overwrite midi. If it sends only on/off use a medium echo and adjust later tge feedback after recording.

If you have tempo changes while playing and the echo should go along with it, it is going to be complicated. In general i would recomend a clean dry recording. Add tempo changes in the DAW. Add echos by moving sliders while recording the automation of the sliders. Note that you can also change the tempo partial in samples.

If all of this does not help, maybe try a special software for tempo like Melodyne and a VST host and some VST plugins for dynamic echos. But i guess you will come into trouble when you add beats or something.
Reason12, Win10

gak

29 Jan 2016

Am I daft, or shouldn't this be as easy as adding in automation clips for a send?

Loque

29 Jan 2016

You are not daft :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

gak

29 Jan 2016

A lot of people don't know (and this is nothing against the OP, perfectly fine to ask questions) but a little known trick is hit "alt" (or cmmd mac) and simply click on parameter you want to automate. Done.

Then you can easily write a clip (draw tool, whatever) to do what you want. I don't think there is anything that you can't do this with. Just remember to hit "s" and disable snap unless you want to automate the snap setting.

easy peasy.

Ags

29 Jan 2016

oh boy ...... LOL heres the problem I'm as dumb as a stick with the automation and stuff I'm a in hand button and knob guy even so with this tune changing the echo up would still be an issue unless as mentioned add more then one echo .

So I need hand holding to learn how to use these functions .

I just recorded the track with some reverb so if I add the echo how can you change it ? in layman terms :)

what confuses me is since the track is already recorded and I add echo that would apply to the whole track so how do you get to change at another spot along the tune .

Now remember you folks do this with eyes closed I've never touched on this at all heck I watched vids on redrum everything I could find to help me learn how to set up drums but every vid I came across assumed I had some level of the program .... Pffffffft!

I need the F'n on button first ! lmao

maybe for me it might be easier to cut the sections onto multipile tracks and then match the echos that way ?

Is there any vids on this type thing ?

Loque

29 Jan 2016

Its difficult to understand what your problem is and difficult to explain at the right knowledge level.

Reason is very powerfull and has lots of possibilities to do similar things. If you are right at the start, understand the basics and reserve some time for that. Read the documentation. Understand send-effekts and insert-effekt, try recording and editing automation.

The simplest solution for your problem is, record it completly dry, no effekts. Add send effekts and record the automation. Check out the documentation, seriously its not that bad...

Maybe you want to checkout the videos from Propellerheads
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL29263D87CD4601CD
Reason12, Win10

Ags

01 Feb 2016

ok I need some time to soak this up but as a short fix I think i can clone the track
cut it and add the echo on to separate tracks the blend back in . I think it might be the best way to go as the echo settings need changing .

I also have the Groove vids I bought I'll go back over them but with out someone sitting next me i think it will fall on deaf ears because they always leave stuff out LOL

I post back with the audio when I give it a go its all experimental so I have no idea if what I'm hearing in my head will work out in track .

Thanks for all your help folks :)

Ronin

02 Feb 2016

youtube reason tutorials. there's millions. this is very basic stuff. i can guarantee there is videos walking you through this stuff.

Ags

06 Feb 2016

Thanks Ronin , Basic is a point of view not trying to start an argument or debate but I can read something a thousand times and come to a conclusion totally different then the majority its not always but most if the time :(

I just learn different , I have vids but there not taught in a way for the most part that make sense to me . It's easy for folks who have done most of there life or who are lucky enough to grasp the programing aspects as life today dictates . I'm old school and musically sheltered . as a guitarist my needs are minimal so I got by now I'm wanting more and there is no college coarse close to home or folks to show me hands on ( the best way I learn ) what to do LOL just they way it is . :)

K so I said I'll post the song and here it is still a little rough just acoustic guitar verb and echo via FX send which I just figured out YAAAAAAAAAAY !

now I will search the automation thing see if that will do what I'm hearing in my head before I try to redo it by the chop shop method hahaha

so to recap lightly ... the finger picking is slower in spots or more time between the notes then in others so i need the echo to match those parts .
in one spot the echo might be 11ms in an other it needs to be more like 15 not sure if the ms part is right but you understand just shorter delay here longer delay there .

ok ok ok ok ok ok ok I just watched a vid on automation ( never seen this one ) .... Yaaaaaaaaay ! I got it hahahahaha sweet now to play around :)

• Information