Would Mozart kill somone to get Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
deepndark

03 Feb 2016

I think I am a lucky guy to own a setup like I do. My neighbour thinks my studio is actually some kind of amateur thing, but I disagree that I can't make a PRO quality tune in here. :cool:

platzangst

03 Feb 2016

Mozart would probably have regarded Reason as witchcraft. But you don't have to go that far back.

Think of the Beatles, recording their first album on a highly-expensive four-track tape machine, getting reverb effects by setting up speakers and mics around physical pipes in the studio. Sure, Paul McCartney today probably has a studio that beats anything we have on our desktops all silly, but even an amateur today has access to resources that were once only possible by spending millions of dollars.

CharlyCharlzz

03 Feb 2016

deepndark wrote:I think I am a lucky guy to own a setup like I do. My neighbour thinks my studio is actually some kind of amateur thing, but I disagree that I can't make a PRO quality tune in here. :cool:
I got a good Pro setup myself , Reason 7 , a computer with a internal 5400 rpm speed and a few volcas :lol:

a yhea biggest part of my studio is a vt-3 LOL

still i would not mind a SSL full mixing board and a few real synths :D
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

deepndark

03 Feb 2016

@ platzangst: Indeed, I think that McCartney has better tools we have, but we are so close to do the same with Reason as what he does with his gear. I would actually invest to get a better preamp + mic than buying a hardware reverb.

@ CharlyCharlzz: I would also want a hardware synth, just to have more knowhow about hardware. But, Antidote and some other softsynths are already brilliant enough. I even think that reason's first synth subtractor can sound good.

CharlyCharlzz

03 Feb 2016

deepndark wrote: @ CharlyCharlzz: I would also want a hardware synth, just to have more knowhow about hardware. But, Antidote and some other softsynths are already brilliant enough. I even think that reason's first synth subtractor can sound good.

I got a few Volcas and they are not bad at all , I got a minibrute and that is awesome .

I dont buy anymore synths to keep but I love to buy new stuff , try it out and sell it after a couple of months and see the money lost as the price for a rental haha .

that way I can try things out , i usely never buy something more expensive then 500 bucks and sell it after two or three months for 420 bucks or something , it' s like I rented a new synth for 40 bucks a month that way :D

if the synth was already a 2nd hand I sometimes sell it for more then I buyed it for ....
It does not die , it multiplies !

7.101 and I will upgrade maybe this summer .

deepndark

03 Feb 2016

CharlyCharlzz wrote:
deepndark wrote: @ CharlyCharlzz: I would also want a hardware synth, just to have more knowhow about hardware. But, Antidote and some other softsynths are already brilliant enough. I even think that reason's first synth subtractor can sound good.

I got a few Volcas and they are not bad at all , I got a minibrute and that is awesome .

I dont buy anymore synths to keep but I love to buy new stuff , try it out and sell it after a couple of months and see the money lost as the price for a rental haha .

that way I can try things out , i usely never buy something more expensive then 500 bucks and sell it after two or three months for 420 bucks or something , it' s like I rented a new synth for 40 bucks a month that way :D

if the synth was already a 2nd hand I sometimes sell it for more then I buyed it for ....
Cool - I can't bother doing that, but I would like to try something out that is known to impress musicians.
If someone would rent me mastering compressor I might try it out tho. :redface:

gak

03 Feb 2016

No, but he might kill someone who uses autotune.

Chizmata

03 Feb 2016

Mozart would look down on these scrubs who can neither read notation nor play a 45 minute song in one take :D

Loque

03 Feb 2016

I rather like the question "what kind of music he would produce with todays' tools"?
Reason12, Win10

gak

03 Feb 2016

Loque wrote:I rather like the question "what kind of music he would produce with todays' tools"?
Maybe Amadeus can help?

kitekrazy

03 Feb 2016

No.

dvdrtldg

03 Feb 2016

platzangst wrote:Think of the Beatles, recording their first album on a highly-expensive four-track tape machine, getting reverb effects by setting up speakers and mics around physical pipes in the studio. Sure, Paul McCartney today probably has a studio that beats anything we have on our desktops all silly, but even an amateur today has access to resources that were once only possible by spending millions of dollars.
It really is nothing short of miraculous

From the mid-80s all the way through the 90s I was playing in bands, enjoying having a musical outlet but constantly frustrated by gear issues and band member issues and never being able to even remotely afford the means to make the kind of music I was imagining in my head. Now I can have a multi-million dollar studio on my laptop and there really are no limits. Which is why I always laugh when people throw screaming tantrums about the various shortcomings of Reason or other DAWs, as though their creativity is being outrageously compromised. They don't fucking know they're alive

Dabbler

04 Feb 2016

Yeah, if I could come up with one tune as good as say, Yer Blues, I could record it very well with what I have. And then I'd rule.

Noplan
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2016

gak wrote:No, but he might kill someone who uses autotune.

WongoTheSane

04 Feb 2016

Hell, I would kill Mozart to have Reason.

KEVMOVE02

04 Feb 2016

Mozart could write entire symphonic arrangements without playing or hearing a single note, so he would not have to resort to the taking of a life to capture his ideas properly. Reason (or any other software) can be the basis of a pro studio, provided someone is compensated for the use of the studio and the content created in said studio is sold for commercial or professional use. In truth, its not equipment (in and of itself) that makes a studio professional, but the people operating the equipment. To quote a soon to be classic tv show "Giving Slipping Jimmy a law license is like giving a chimp a machine gun." Killer rigs don't make you a muscian, but killer chops do."

"Boards don't hit back."

gak

04 Feb 2016

Noplan wrote:
gak wrote:No, but he might kill someone who uses autotune.
Sure he is. Texted me right after I posted it.

decibel

04 Feb 2016

if your buddy cant make a decent sounding tune on reason he should just quit

Benedict
Competition Winner

04 Feb 2016

dvdrtldg wrote:Now I can have a multi-million dollar studio on my laptop and there really are no limits. Which is why I always laugh when people throw screaming tantrums about the various shortcomings of Reason or other DAWs, as though their creativity is being outrageously compromised. They don't fucking know they're alive
The reason people scream that the DAW is destroying their creativity is because they are either lacking in creativity in the first place, or far more likely, too scared to be creative and finding excuses in anything and anyone but themselves.

http://benedictroffmarsh.com/2015/05/05 ... o-succeed/

:)
Last edited by Benedict on 05 Feb 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

4filegate

04 Feb 2016

@ Benedict "Imagination is more important than knowledge, as knowledge is limited" A.Einstein

Benedict
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2016

4filegate wrote:@ Benedict "Imagination is more important than knowledge, as knowledge is limited" A.Einstein
So long as people don't use that as an excuse to make up their own facts ;)

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

4filegate

05 Feb 2016

Benedict wrote:
4filegate wrote:@ Benedict "Imagination is more important than knowledge, as knowledge is limited" A.Einstein
So long as people don't use that as an excuse to make up their own facts ;)
of course „Digital Natives“ generation - ... mask, and he will tell you the truth. :think:

avasopht
Competition Winner

05 Feb 2016

Hmm, when people being up the gear used in the past; I double dare you to produce something of that quality today?

Watching the James Brown biopic was do telling of this as the music in the earlier parts of the film were difficult to listen to with those lower quality recordings.

Another good characteristic is outcome orientation and willingness to bend the rules to work with what you have. Don't have the sound you want, that's cool, make the most use of what you've got and make it sound like fire. Sounds simple and still you find so many pulling the brakes.

• Information