Reason or a different daw?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stp2015

14 Feb 2016

I am not a newbie in música production, but my last serious efforts are about 10 years in the past. I basically had to take a break for professional reasons.

Now I just got a reason 8 licence and have started to play around with it. For me, it all looks amazing, the possibilities it opens up seem crazy compared to the times when a single eq plugin was all my CPU could handle.

I especially love the idea of the rack, that everything happens within one single piece of software, and that there is undo and redo that works for the entire thing.

I understand that reason does not have proper vst support and that probably is a cost i am willing to pay. But what are the other main things i am missing out on if i decide to go ahead and invest in the Reason/RE universe? I am not interested in the live performance features like clip launching.

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

hadmyrackextended

14 Feb 2016

Hey mate...my advice would be think about out what music you're making and look for patches, refills and Rack extensions that help build your sound. For instance, I make DNB. So I need fat drums which means a good compressor is essential to achieving this. So generally some single hits from different dnb packs can be combined to make my own unique kit. Then I need big pads and basses so I'd always look for refills and REs that can provide this, along with ambient textures and soundscapes.

I know its all a bit overwhelming but once you get your head around the main ' essential ' Rack extensions, you can always try the rest and buy if they suit you.

Vince-Noir-99

14 Feb 2016

I guess, generally speaking, the only department in which Reason is behind is detailed audio/midi editing. However it's nothing that will prevent from making and delivering music at professional levels (at least in my opinion!).

Here a few things that come to mind:
- fading and automation curves/shapes
- audio pitch editor
- tape machine emulation (pitch/speed up/down whole project)
- scale constrained quantisation
- tab to transient

I will add that if you like the 'simplicity' of having everything under the same hood, Reason is great. I previously mentioned in a different thread that I like the idea of not having VSTs, and consider Reason not just a workstation to record and edit music, but mainly a 'studio as a musical instrument' environment, thanks to its rack.

To balance out the minuses, here are a few features you'll miss in other DAWs that Reason has:
- the Rack! :)
- the Mixer
- midi lanes
- flexible automation management
- good audio stretch

jfrichards

14 Feb 2016

stp2015 wrote:...what are the other main things i am missing out on if i decide to go ahead and invest in the Reason/RE universe?...
R8 is highly advanced and looking at what you need/don't need, I'd say the only thing you might not have is integrated video production (not a big deal if you have a good video editor).

Chizmata

14 Feb 2016

i think reason creates a quite unique creative flow with its emulation of analogue synths and the routing and cv possibilities. it can be a bit more complicated to set some things up than in other daws, and its certainly not for beginners, but if you like its approach, it is a ridiculously good daw.

Ahornberg

14 Feb 2016

I would say "Reason AND another DAW" :thumbs_up:

Gulale

14 Feb 2016

Reason is perfectly fine and I say stay with it. Don't invest in anyway possible on Re or VST whatever extension it is unless you know what you are doing.
The advantage of other DAWs will start from free VSTs where you might be able to buy them in Re world.
Gulale aka Bereket

4filegate

14 Feb 2016

;) all DAW's have the same Midi-standard we're waiting for midi renewal!
resolution with steps/fader sensitive &. midi port forwarding interface usb/firewire/thunderbolt was the last midi "newsflash"

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2016

TATQ: what you will miss depends entirely on what you need to use.

I don't feel like I miss anything. If I really need to use a VST or Kontakt library I can ReWire or use the EMI (midi output from Reason), but I find that my library within Reason is strong enough and provides me with a firm foundation to achieve my musical goals.

MannequinRaces

14 Feb 2016

Reason needs better audio editing and a true grain sampler / synth. Other than that I've been super happy with it. What kind of music do you make OP? That might help us answer things better.

dvdrtldg

14 Feb 2016

The main thing I miss in Reason is really good editing capability, so I go to another DAW for that, and for final mastering tweaks (although I'm starting to master in Reason more & more)

The main thing is that even though I sometimes use another DAW, Reason is always the one I open for pure pleasure - i.e. when I just want to sit down & get creative with composition, or hook some shit up to some other shit for the purposes of making noise. The modular/CV thing is priceless (and, as far as I'm aware, unique)

sdst
Competition Winner

14 Feb 2016

Vince-Noir-99 wrote: To balance out the minuses, here are a few features you'll miss in other DAWs that Reason has:
- the Rack! :)
- the Mixer
- midi lanes
- flexible automation management
- good audio stretch
that was good. lol

raymondh

14 Feb 2016

Try out different DAW demos and see if you naturally gravitate to one of them as inspiring you to make music.

Using a DAW is a bit like buying a home or a car. You can have all the checklists you like about what features you want, but you will end up buying the one that "feels" right to you (even if it doesn't tick all the boxes).

• Information