Combinators.....synths preset

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
samsome

13 Mar 2016

Hi when i open a combinator from the Factory sounds......

lets say there's Thor in there.....when i press the up and down arrow of the selected patch for thor, it doesn't change......why is that?

Benedict
Competition Winner

13 Mar 2016

Hi

I find that Thor can change patches when inside a Combi. I would assume this was to some extent dependent on location and availability of patches to change to. Also generally speaking one would change the Combi patch instead of the Thor inside - altho that does have its uses and can be very cool to try new things with existing material.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

samsome

13 Mar 2016

am talking about FACTORY SOUNDS combinators (NOT self made combinators), can thor patches change inside combinators with the UP AND DOWN ARROW inside THOR or not?

IT doesn't change for me...UP and DOWN arrows don't work and its annoying......i can't see any reason why they don't change

Benedict
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2016

No need to SHOUT at someone trying to HELP

:(
Benedict Roff-Marsh

samsome

14 Mar 2016

sorry! it must be the time......4 in the morning :P

MannequinRaces

14 Mar 2016

samsome wrote:am talking about FACTORY SOUNDS combinators (NOT self made combinators), can thor patches change inside combinators with the UP AND DOWN ARROW inside THOR or not?

IT doesn't change for me...UP and DOWN arrows don't work and its annoying......i can't see any reason why they don't change
No, they won't change because you are in the FSB folder for combinators... so when you press the up or down arrow on Thor nothing is going to change because they are all .cmb 'patches.' This is not a bug.

ravisoni

14 Mar 2016

Inside a combi that's part of FSB, the thor won't change if you press up or down arrows because the thor patch doesn't reference a location. What you could do is press the "load preset" button, and navigate to the thor folder, and go from there. Like MannequinRaces mentioned above, your default browse directory (when you load a combi patch) becomes the combi FSB folder.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

samsome

14 Mar 2016

ravisoni wrote:Inside a combi that's part of FSB, the thor won't change if you press up or down arrows because the thor patch doesn't reference a location. What you could do is press the "load preset" button, and navigate to the thor folder, and go from there. Like MannequinRaces mentioned above, your default browse directory (when you load a combi patch) becomes the combi FSB folder.

what are the benefits when it doesn't reference a location.

I don't understand why it behaves like that.....I only see it as causing delays...

selig
RE Developer

14 Mar 2016

samsome wrote:
ravisoni wrote:Inside a combi that's part of FSB, the thor won't change if you press up or down arrows because the thor patch doesn't reference a location. What you could do is press the "load preset" button, and navigate to the thor folder, and go from there. Like MannequinRaces mentioned above, your default browse directory (when you load a combi patch) becomes the combi FSB folder.

I don't understand why it behaves like that.....I only see it as causing delays...
What location SHOULD it reference?
Considering it would have to browse SOME location, and also considering that many times that location wouldn't be the one you wanted - you'll still need to point the browser at the specific folder you're interested in browsing (pads, basses, leads, etc.), and that will always cause a "delay" of some sort…there's no getting around that as far as I can see.
Selig Audio, LLC

samsome

14 Mar 2016

but it does have other patches in that same folder!

i just don't know why it doesn't change from one to the other with UP AND DOWN arrows

ravisoni

14 Mar 2016

samsome wrote:

I agree it would be a bit better for the thor to open up to where the patch it is using is found by default (if it weren't in the combi). I can also see the utility if you were browsing something like pads or strings, but the sequencer/rhythmic combi patches would have really weird results if you changed, say, just one thor of the many in that combi.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

Benedict
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2016

The Thor path inside the Combi probably doesn't have a location of its own as it has never been saved as a Thor patch as the Combi is the patch.

When I tried, starting from a Combi patch in one of my own collections, changing the Thor patch using up/down arrows had unexpected results. Not useful ones either. I ended up with a Combi wired into the first Combi. Messy stuff.

Do as suggested and simply point the Thor to the folder where there are Thor patches and you can get going. Otherwise consider understanding/revising what you are trying to do.

Benedict Roff-Marsh

samsome

15 Mar 2016

great thank you!

selig
RE Developer

15 Mar 2016

samsome wrote:but it does have other patches in that same folder!

i just don't know why it doesn't change from one to the other with UP AND DOWN arrows
Click on a patch in the browser first and it should work.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information