When Do You Think We Will See Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Theo.M

23 Mar 2016

avasopht wrote:
pjeudy wrote: OK..I heard on that video ! they mentioned that the Reason Mixer gets it's sound from what the SSL desk that they modeled. They couldn't say SSL in the video because it's not certified blah..blah... thanks for the link :thumbs_up:
Reason's SSL compressor was said to have been one of the closest to the real thing, which is apparently the most difficult part to get right. There's not noise or saturation modeling though, but that being said that is supposed to be incredibly low, which is what SSL were attempting to achieve anyway. They designed their desk for minimal noise and non-linearities ;)

So all in all, we have a beast that is so easy to access it's easy to forget that at the time of release Waves were still selling their SSL 4000 bundle for quite a bit (I think $2000).
agreed. My only issue with the props SSL bus comp was that they were too faithful (yes i know lol).

I keep thinking how much more flexible it would have been if they added to extra knobs. One for a high pass filter detection, and one for wet/dry.

This would avoid having to do the intricate project routing required to create the former (which is at least possible thanks to Gary and then refined by our very own Giles!). But the latter as far as i know is impossible to do in reason. this is where the fxpansion (early prototype of the glue) comes in. I ended up going to it more often cause it had those features and saved messy routing and i can back off on the mix amount a bit which really made certain mixes shine.

Point being, that sometimes, for me, props did amazing things but only did them half way. I mean how HARD could it REALLY be for them to code those two features into it after the last 6 years or whatever it's been? And the release THE easiest ever to use audio quantise of any daw, but don't make it multichannel! Things like that with them, just surprise me. I hope in V9 they have attended to a few FR's for you guys, and finally added PDC.

I don't know why but i have a feeling there may be some sort of initial PDC in R9.. Hope i am right.. It's just that, let's face it, R8 was the lowest in terms of features for a major release, and this time they have taken a lot longer already and there is no 9 in sight. In other words i think they are taking their time to make it a much more major upgrade. Of course, reason X will be huge, that's my guess. But that's years away.

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Mar 2016

Yeah, sometimes it's the little extra features that makes the most difference.

PDC is a must. If not 9 then definitely for Reason X ;)

pjeudy

23 Mar 2016

Theo.M wrote: I don't know why but i have a feeling there may be some sort of initial PDC in R9.. Hope i am right..
avasopht wrote: PDC is a must.
Using my first DAW outside of REASON is when I noticed how powerful PDC was? It allows you to still get some work done after you add a device that creates latency. I was blown away when I actual experienced it first hand as apposed to reading about it.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Gulale

24 Mar 2016

Theo.M wrote:
pjeudy wrote:Yea....Reason Mixer looks like sn SSL, has an SSL routing and even it's dynamic section models an SSL 9k parameters..... but Propellerhead didn't model the sonic characteristics of an SSL desk that can plays a part in saying "I mixed my tack on an SSL virtual desk"

Waves and other developer say that they took that extra step In capturing that aspect of the SSL emulation.

sorry waves did not. It was a big ticket chat item back then. They've just added some analog hum with analog modes LOL.. everyone turns them off.

And the eq and comp are just the curves (EQ) and compression characteristics (comps).

Problem is, the comps and gate are *awful* and sound *nothing* like *any* SSL.

Give me reason's gate and comp ANY day, and i mean that sincerely. The only native ones I like are duende and UAD (ok that's not native). They are proper SSL plugins. And reason's mixer is every bit as good as those. Reason's mixer is fantastic.. this topic is the first time I read of any problems with the looks or sound of it.

IF props want to go that step further and model the non linearities, so be it. That could be a really cool addition, like a console simulation which reason does need (as all other daw's either have a built in one or easy access to a vst one).
But to think the waves one went that step further, no.

Now I am very careful when i post these days as you all know, so i will be careful again and ensure you all i have nothing against waves. The thousands i have spent with them over the years, and the raving i do about their excellent support (which it is), should be testament to that. I have MANY of their plugins and use them every day. I love many of them. I think many are crap and many in between. The SSL for me are in the crap basket.

Just check out the chatter on the gate, it is crazy.. and sounds exactly like the gate in their 20 year old C1 plugin (i am convinced it's just that in an ssl gui).

the problem is that waves got the SSL "tick", which has kept their price high and this illusion to many that they are the best SSL plugins, when they are in fact truly the worst. ALL the others are superior, whether modelling different consoles or not. Duende, IK, NI, UAD, and quite a few more, all better than the waves.

The EQ is fine but the dynamics are so off it's ridiculous that SSL even approved it. If waves had another go at it, they would be able to make it MUCH better. Channel gate and bus comp via waves = forget it for me. I know others agree, others that don't, but that's my opinion for what it's worth (maybe zero, who knows).

Cheers
I do agree for what you said but for me I prefer the waves SSL. It takes a mix from 5 to 10 just like that. It is so versatile. However, when its come to Reason SSL, it shines on Drum on percussive instruments only. And to be honest I don't know what it has first thing I noticed is an auto gain when I engage the compressor. And most of the time the character of the kick drum looks similar. As if it is triggering a drum kit and blend it to the original. My summery is Reason SSL for percussive instruments and Waves is versatile for that I prefer the Waves.
Gulale aka Bereket

gak

24 Mar 2016

So it was the drum thingy........

Oh an look, another sale :lol:

riemac

24 Mar 2016

gak wrote:So it was the drum thingy........
Yes, too bad. An update would be better.

Yonatan

24 Mar 2016

Then upgrade will be in september...

gak

25 Mar 2016

Yonatan wrote:Then upgrade will be in september...
The eternal optimist!

:mrgreen:

I have no clue. I am getting sick of the "well let's just pacify them with sales" thing.

At this point in time, either everyone has everything they want, or went to some other host temporarily and don't care (as the pour more money into VST's for gas)

Sorry for the "bad vibe" but it's getting kinda ridiculous. I mean, now it's been about 9 months. Not good.

Soft Enerji

25 Mar 2016

Why speculate?
Why wait?
Why deliberate?
Just get 8!

Meanwhile..........I'll get my coat............... :puf_bigsmile:

kitekrazy

25 Mar 2016

I probably won't see Reason 9. I think the updates are affordable but I don't use it enough. The developers don't seem as interest in improving their product. Getting rid of their forum and being involved is a major disconnect. See how Image Line, Cockos, and now Cakewalk are communication with their users. Some of them are willing to wear a flame suit.

Jagwah

25 Mar 2016

I don't have high hopes for a good upgrade unless it's a long way off. Props are apparently a small company, been spending a lot of time / manpower on apps, and just when we think they are getting back on the Reason ball - it turns out what resources there are have been working on REs to be sold separately.

I am disappointed as I would love to see innovation and huge progression of Reason, but at the same time I am still very comfortable with Reason 7 :think: :mrgreen: :think:

gak

26 Mar 2016

Though I'm on 8.3, that's a fair statement.

My negativity DOES NOT IN ANY MATTER WAY SHAPE OR FORM mean that I'm not happy with reason, but this is getting tiresome considering.

So many little tiny things I think the props are smart enough to address and move forward with. Still a fanboi.

bstylee

26 Mar 2016

gak wrote:Still a fanboi.
that seems the case to be honest with you.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2016

Jagwah wrote:I don't have high hopes for a good upgrade unless it's a long way off. Props are apparently a small company, been spending a lot of time / manpower on apps, and just when we think they are getting back on the Reason ball - it turns out what resources there are have been working on REs to be sold separately.

I am disappointed as I would love to see innovation and huge progression of Reason, but at the same time I am still very comfortable with Reason 7 :think: :mrgreen: :think:
All of the A-List series is a collaboration with ujam.
So much of that is outside sources.

noelcampbelljnr

26 Mar 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Jagwah wrote:I don't have high hopes for a good upgrade unless it's a long way off. Props are apparently a small company, been spending a lot of time / manpower on apps, and just when we think they are getting back on the Reason ball - it turns out what resources there are have been working on REs to be sold separately.

So you have high hopes for 9?? I know you have an inside source Joey. Exciting times ahead?

joeyluck

26 Mar 2016

noelcampbelljnr wrote:
joeyluck wrote:

So you have high hopes for 9?? I know you have an inside source Joey. Exciting times ahead?
Haha I have no inside source or any knowledge that isn't available to everyone.
I don't really have any particular hopes for R9. I'm very happy with 8.3 at the moment. If R9 adds something new and of value to me, I will certainly upgrade. I didn't upgrade to R8 until 8.3. I might upgrade to R9 on day one or maybe 9.3... who knows. But as soon as it offers something of value to me, I won't deliberate waiting as I've paid more for single plugins and plenty of other products and services.

joeyluck

26 Mar 2016

I'm certainly not mr. money bags, but it's still a relatively small cost to upgrade Reason. Again, I compare it to the cost of some individual plugins. And I write it off in my taxes. And even if I miss a grace period by a few days, I don't worry about it. If I can put it to use for me today, I get it. And as Propellerhead grace periods go, if I am outside of a grace period, that means I am with the version I just purchased for at least 3 months before the new one is released.

The same philosophy can be said of sales. A-List Studio Drummer is fantastic. It is $99 today. It will likely go on sale for $69 at some point and then maybe gain for $49 (as Pop Chords just did). Do I want to wait 6 months to maybe pay $49? Or is it worth to me the regular price to not have to wait 6 months? Do you need it and can you put it to use today? Same goes for Reason 8.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Mar 2016

--- DELETED: wrong thread
Last edited by avasopht on 26 Mar 2016, edited 3 times in total.

PurpleMonkeyDishes

26 Mar 2016

Without saying too much or giving away my privacy, R9 will be the next release that props make. 100%

Now back to my chocolate eggs.....
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

gak

26 Mar 2016

bstylee wrote:
Been a long time sense I've seen a dickless drive-by. Click :lol:

bstylee

26 Mar 2016

gak wrote:
bstylee wrote:
Been a long time sense I've seen a dickless drive-by. Click :lol:
........................................... :clap: :crazy: :wave:

GeiddE

26 Mar 2016

I think we will see R9 shortly after the announcement that R9 will be released ( shortly or longly ) IMHO

gak

26 Mar 2016

GeiddE wrote:I think we will see R9 shortly after the announcement that R9 will be released ( shortly or longly ) IMHO
hehe

Yonatan

27 Mar 2016

2019 R9 will come out in Blade Runner edition. 2016 will come 8.4. 2017 8.5. 2018 8.6-8.9.1.1. 2019 R9! Fasten the seatbelts...

Seriously, I really long for it to evolve a step, but also there´s tons of ways one have not yet explored as is now. So come what may.

gak

28 Mar 2016

Tomorrow will be the day. We'll get stuff we never dreamed of!

Ok, I'm happily "high" and thinking positive......bad gak.........BAD!

• Information