Possible to relocate REs?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chimp_spanner

02 Apr 2016

Hmm, not sure if I'm searching for the wrong thing but I searched the forum and came up blank. I read something ages ago about simply moving the files and creating a shortcut in Windows to the new location but it didn't work. What's the easiest way to achieve this? My C drive is like, 99% full!

platzangst

03 Apr 2016

There may be a way, but I don't know what it is, and from where the things are located, I would guess it would be far easier to find something else to move. Reason seems to be determined to save all RE information under the Users folder (and some sub-folders), which as far as I know is always going to be on your C: drive. Hell, you could install Reason itself on a different drive, but the RE info would still be on C:.

If you're that tight for space you probably are already doing things like making sure your scratch folders are all located off of C:, so I'm not sure what specific hints I could give you. But yeah, trying to relocate REs sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

OldGoat

03 Apr 2016

You can try the following:

First, go into your Windows folder options and select "show hidden files, folders and drives".
Then open a file explorer and enter "%APPDATA%" (without the quotes), this leads to:

"C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\"

Open the subfolder "Propellerhead Software".

You should see a folder called "RackExtensions".

Cut this folder and paste it to the target location, for example "D:\somedirectory\", so that the "RackExtensions"-Folder is inside of "somedirectory", the entire path would be "D:\somedirectory\RackExtensions".

Open a shell (Windows Key + R, enter "cmd" without quotes and press enter) and enter the following commands (keep the quotes):

cd /d "%APPDATA%\Propellerhead Software"
mklink /j RackExtensions "D:\somedirectory\RackExtensions"

Start Reason and see if it works, if not, you can simply revert your changes:

The "mklink /j" creates a directory junction point which can be seen in the file explorer as a folder-icon with a small arrow, just check "C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software" after you've executed mklink.

To revert everything just delete this junction point in the file explorer ( or in the commandline using rmdir RackExtensions) and then copy the original folder back to its original location.

Haven't tried this with Reason, but it works with lots of other complex applications without any problems.

The general syntax is "mklink /j source destination". ( https://technet.microsoft.com/de-de/lib ... 10%29.aspx )

jengstrom
Reason Studios

06 Apr 2016

The scratch disk default location is on C:, and that has a location setting in Preferences.
Reason keeps 20 Gbytes of temporary, regeneratable data there, and cleans out old files automatically.
So if you haven't relocated that, you may want to start there.

Edit: Sidenote: If you are going to use mklink, make sure you start Command Prompt as Administrator.

tiker01

06 Apr 2016

You can relocate them by using hardlinks on windows. On Mac I don't know how it works.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

dustmoses

06 Apr 2016

If I deleted my REs I'd get under 500mb probably and I have around 20, most are like 5mb.

I know there are some big ones like project Sam and hydronexius

OldGoat

07 Apr 2016

A great tool for finding out what exactly consumes your disk-space is TreeSize:

http://www.jam-software.com/treesize_free/

jengstrom
Reason Studios

07 Apr 2016

For that purpose, I also recommend Grand Perspective and WinDirStat.

• Information