can't drag/drop midi from EZdrummer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Voidguts

03 Apr 2016

hey guys - i've got EZdrummer running (almost) perfectly in Reason, can trigger it fine, etc. but the thing absolutely killing my workflow is I'm unable to drag and drop any grooves/midi files from EZd into Reason - I get an error;

"Reason
File not Found
The Operation could not be completed because a file could not be found"

..alright, so I tried dragging the grooves/midis to my desktop - works fine, dragging them from my desktop to Reason works but that extra step is really cumbersome and quickly clogs up folders needlessly.

I'm on Windows 10, 64-bit - latest reason (x64) and I've tried this with both EZd 32&64 - other DAWs that have this issue are resolved by running them in Administrator mode - tried running Reason in Admin mode, it made it so when I dragged files over there was just an X/circle indicating you could not. I tried disabled UAC entirely, makes me unable to drag it over as well.

any ideas?

Benedict
Competition Winner

03 Apr 2016

I would bet it is that in Ezi-Drummer the MIDI clip is wrapped in proprietary code so Reason can't parse it. I think you have the best solution in the situation.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

Voidguts

03 Apr 2016

Benedict wrote:I would bet it is that in Ezi-Drummer the MIDI clip is wrapped in proprietary code so Reason can't parse it. I think you have the best solution in the situation.
:)
unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the issue -

other people, on windows even, are seemingly doing it fine - not to mention the countless mac videos.. both using reason/ezd, so i don't think proprietary code is the issue here. :|

Voidguts

03 Apr 2016

ugh yeah that is definitely not the issue, dragging and dropping midis from EZd to Reaper works flawlessly. I tried resetting my scratch file dir. in Reason, still nothing. :(

WongoTheSane

03 Apr 2016

Might be stupid, but the message "because a file could not be found" could mean that the permissions on the folder that holds the temporary clipboard are wrong (i.e. Reason isn't allowed access to it, so it can't find the file even though it's here). I don't have Win10 nor EZDrummer so I can't help much, but maybe checking the Event Viewer could tell you more?

mguh22

05 Apr 2016

That video shows Reason 6 (32-bit) and 'Toontrack Solo' (also 32-bit) as host.

Are you running Reason 8 (64-bit)? Perhaps the drag and drop from the 32-bit app to the 64-bit Reason window maybe isn't compatible somehow on Windows? You could try using the x64 version of Toontrack Solo or if you're already on that try the x86 version?

Alternatively you could try using another VST standalone wrapper for EZdrummer, such as SAVIHost (available in 32 and 64 bit)

http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm

Let us know how you get on!

Voidguts

05 Apr 2016

thank you mguh22 - I'd tried everything (mixing and matching 64/32 versions), didn't work; unfortunately SAVIhost isn't working either. it's super cool and had no idea about it though, so thank you for that :thumbs_up:

still no idea why this is happening :( i can drag/drop from any other program fine, even .mp3s straight from musicbee, etc. i might have to settle for the drag to folder method which is super annoying :cry:

mguh22

06 Apr 2016

It's definitely a Windows thing. It could be that the Registry is messed up for the MIDI drag drop handler or something.

The only other thing I could think is that you have a mismatch of user processes in terms of accounts. You haven't got Reason or EZdrummer/Solo running as Administrator have you (Run as Administrator could be ticked in the shortcut?) This could cause issues if either Reason or EZdrummer/Solo is is running with elevated privileges but the other is not.

Apparently Cubase drag and drop got broken by this at some point last year the fix was to disable UAC; http://winaero.com/blog/how-to-turn-off ... indows-10/ - you could try that and see if that fixes the drag drop issues for you?

Other than that, how long ago did you last install Windows? Are you using Windows 10?

Voidguts

07 Apr 2016

yeah, I've tried disabling UAC entirely - it makes Reason just show the 'no' circle/x, like admin mode. I've been on Windows 10 since they started bugging people on day one - so however long it has been out, and I upgraded from 8. I also cloned everything from a HD to a SSD in Jan. so it's probably something funky with my installation of Windows and/or Reason. I really appreciate your help and ideas! I'm going to work on a macro to automatically drag it to a folder, drag it into reason, delete the midi, etc. that will hopefully make the process less funky. also as another weird side note, I tried the Sonar Xsomething that came with my Taktile-49 and EZdrummer's drag and dropped worked perfectly without me doing any uac/admin stuff, dropping the midi data in the correct lane and everything. :?

mguh22

07 Apr 2016

Just get a Mac. These things just work :)

Voidguts

07 Apr 2016

haha trust me, it's on the list :mrgreen:

• Information