REASON 9 May have been announced early !?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stevan

13 May 2016

Facebook comment from PHS : "We're glad to see there's excitement out there in the Reason community but as you know, we can't comment on future releases.... so please try to act surprised when we announce something official. „wink“-Emoticon "

zakalwe

13 May 2016

ah so it is real.

SA Studio

13 May 2016

:O Horry cow!

Epic leak of epic.

Noplan
Competition Winner

13 May 2016

I think they made this leak intentionally just to check if they stepped in the right direction to prevent the shitstorm and have more time for changes. :D

After all is done correctly they will claim that this was a troll leak. PH moves in mysterious ways.

zakalwe

13 May 2016

Noplan wrote:I think they made this leak intentionally just to check if they stepped in the right direction to prevent the shitstorm and have more time for changes. :D

After all is done correctly they will claim that this was a troll leak. PH moves in mysterious ways.
lol that occured to me.

keep it tight people and let them see they can get away with a launch before massively slating it :thumbs_up:

SA Studio

13 May 2016

Noplan wrote:I think they made this leak intentionally just to check if they stepped in the right direction to prevent the shitstorm and have more time for changes. :D

Hmm...marketing chess, you say. Quite possible. I do agree on the latter, for sure.

I still wish they were more communicative. They have many fish on the hook, so to speak, and we're waiting to throw/hurl/catapult and/or shoot monies at them for an upgrade. They could hint more, talk more, and we would be all over it...literally drooling. Oh, the excitement.... :puf_bigsmile:

Still = Someone's gonna have to get a karate chop if there's no PDC (plug in delay compensation*) :evil: So let's hope for that and maybe even *COUGH* auto-crossfade, all selected faders move at once, and MP3 export.

*maybe Normen can speak a sec about PDC in Reason and its necessity, if he hasn't to death already :D

michal22

13 May 2016

For me, it is going to be OK. Sequencer needs of new features and technologies, greater creativity in creating music, but please .... add the compensation delay and freezing.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

zakalwe

13 May 2016

they could at least have PDC on mixer insert/sends and isolate anything CV related. it's an issue with parallel channels when mixing mainly so to implement it in the SSL would do the job for the most part.

really, if i can fix it with VMG-01s and slip editing the bounce track then they can replicate that easily. it's figuring out CV chains that's difficult.
Last edited by zakalwe on 13 May 2016, edited 2 times in total.

stevan

13 May 2016

If this "leak" is really true, I'm very surprised - never happen before in the whole Propellerhead Software history , as long as I remember (use Reason since R1) and that means they are really pissed about that !

RealmUK

13 May 2016

My initial reaction to most of those new features was, "meh."

I'm very tempted by the new Heavyocity RE so if R9 dropped any time soon I would have to think long and hard.

electrofux

13 May 2016

It all depends on the implementation of the Midi Player devices. If it is like dream (post above) this would be a major feature and imho a feature with the biggest impact since RE. But the devils sits in the details as we say.

I agree on PDC in Inserts which would eliminate o good chink on the PDC issues.

I wonder what these Rack Workflow improvements look. I mean i have a shitton of ideas but they all revolve around Rack Navigation and Remote.

No Ableton Link is a bummer though.

Stranger.

13 May 2016

Possible paparazzi procedures:

There's a guy sitting across the street from this address > Hornsbruksgatan 23, 117 34 Stockholm, Sweden

Marc64

13 May 2016

its interresting devices if true but stil misses my top 4 wants, a better sample editor, video support, spline curves in automation lanes and updated sdk :)

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

chimp_spanner

13 May 2016

It's a strange set of features though don't you think? I mean apart from pitch correction, has anyone really been asking for a new arpeggiator and scale correction/harmonisation?

Not rubbishing the update btw - I can't imagine I won't get it, and I think/hope the smaller tweaks will be the most valuable to me. But if they've been lurking and listening to their user base o would've expected PDC, track freezing, pattern to track in the SDK, improved sample editing and track folders etc straight off the bat.

Very interesting - will just have to see how this develops! But the big takeaway from this is that Reason is still being actively (if a little slowly) developed. And that's great news.

satyr32

13 May 2016

I like all these new features even though the most things you can already do with REs, but sure it is better to have it integrated directly into the sequencer. But come on, where is the track freezing, seriously? Some REs are so CPU demanding that it needs something like this. A great plus of Reason was always that you could load 100 devices without an issue, those times are gone and it was one of the reason Reason was my first choice in DAWs. They need to fix this soon.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Noplan
Competition Winner

13 May 2016

has anyone really been asking for a new arpeggiator and scale correction/harmonisation?
No, but i can imagine that they also do research outside of the reason community and take aim at new customers/beginner/fresh meat. ;)

zakalwe

13 May 2016

could they not just have licenced melodyne and concentrated on other areas?

they insist on making their own plugin format, their own timestetch/transient audio warping, their own pitch correction and audio to MIDI.... it's so much and it's very shortly not bleeding edge. their timestretch was amazing in 2012, now it's really not up there with elastique pro transient.

electrofux

13 May 2016

Another thing on the Midi Player Devices. They are designed to "transform Midi Input".

Now where does Midi Input come from? Either from the track you are sitting on, or a remote codec locked to the device or the Input Rack.

Last option would be lame since you cannot record from those Rack Inputs and i doubt they expand on that feature since it was meant to use Reason only as a Rack of devices.

Second option is also not likely as it would mean a lot of setup hazzle and would need polyphonic CV or a Midi Cable in the Rack.
First option is the most likely i think. But where do these devices appear? They are called devices so i expect them to be like all the other devices pluggable to a track and not a menu on a track where you can select scales and stuff.

If they sit on a track and are devices that appear somewhere in the Rack maybe like the Groove Mixer in a separate Area then i expect to be able to drop other devices like Euclid in there too (has to be updated probably). And this would mean Pattern to track in the end!

I expect it not to be perfect in the first iteration. Probably limited to the props devices/not integrated into the SDK, not handling more paramters other than Note/Velocity, maybe not even remotable but it would be a feature to expand on in the future and take the sequencer to a whole new level.

raccoonboy

13 May 2016

I really hope the transposition of scales and whatnot under the headline 'scales & chords' is a sequencer improvement rather than a rack device.

edit: Just noticed you've said pretty much the same thing electrofux. A groove mixer type scenario would be cool.
Last edited by raccoonboy on 13 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

raccoonboy

13 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:could they not just have licenced melodyne and concentrated on other areas?

they insist on making their own plugin format, their own timestetch/transient audio warping, their own pitch correction and audio to MIDI.... it's so much and it's very shortly not bleeding edge. their timestretch was amazing in 2012, now it's really not up there with elastique pro transient.
Probably best they make their own so there is less risk of losing it in the future.

zeebot

13 May 2016

Back to Elizabeth to author of that article. Seems she has only been at Synthtopia for less than a month going by her archive...and the R9 post is not there. Hmm

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/author/elisabeth/

Edit: Sorry, I messed up!! Was only reading the latest archive :redface:
Still, cant find the R9 post by her in there.
Last edited by zeebot on 13 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

zakalwe

13 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:
zakalwe wrote:could they not just have licenced melodyne and concentrated on other areas?

Probably best they make their own so there is less risk of losing it in the future.
they've had their issues with that, yeah. but it must be a lot to manage for a small company, especially the 3rd party plugin development and they don't seem to be terribly focussed on it. it's been two years since reason 8 and 4 since reason 6.5, and it really hasn't come along as much as i would have hoped at all.

Alkua

13 May 2016

So, the feature Scale&Chord will make auto theory obsolete?

electrofux

13 May 2016

Alkua wrote:So, the feature Scale&Chord will make auto theory obsolete?
I dont think any CV device will be completely obsolete since Midi and CV are different uses. Autotheory will lose abit of appeal but i wouldnt say completely obsolete. I am hoping autotheory and other CV Res will eventually be able to be dropped on a track as a Midi Device. That would make the most sense to me.

jivemaster

13 May 2016

Because people are already whinging that it is a underwhelming update, I'm far more inclined to believe the leak is true :cool:

• Information