Reason 9 Officially Announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
zakalwe

19 May 2016

Gorgon wrote:
zakalwe wrote:The new MIDI players really look fantastic as does the pitcher.

but...

but...

yeah it's compeltely halfbaked. sorry mates, maybe they've got some reefinmements for 9.1 but i don't see the point of spending €130 on this. it's not an integrated solution. when you got to heavy editing or mixdowns with this you will want life to end, unless you're a masochist which i suppose is quite likely at this point.
I think it looks promising. On the other hand, it also looks like "look, you can press a key and a whole song comes out".
well, some of us need all the help we can get :puf_bigsmile:

but it does kind of look like thing presonous did a year ago.

Creativemind

19 May 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:Like I said, a sandy/redshifted/nightshift mode would be great imo.
And a contrast knob on the transport!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

19 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:i very mouch doubt reason will be leading anything in 2 years, given that's it's following with this release and still lagging the competition.
Yes, but many might disagree, but there's not much left other DAW's can integrate surely. It's getting pretty much to the limitations of DAW sequencing isn't it?

So Reason will only just - catch up but with the way Reason works and the back of the rack that other DAW's don't have. The only let down will be - no vst :(

I can live without VST though if they get some of the good / big players on board.
Last edited by Creativemind on 19 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

lowpryo

19 May 2016

question about the chords feature on Scales & Chords... is it possible to also play 7th chords, 9th chords and other more complex chords? or is it just the basic I-ii-iii-IV-V etc

Creativemind

19 May 2016

Stranger. wrote:
zakalwe wrote:i very mouch doubt reason will be leading anything in 2 years, given that's it's following with this release and still lagging the competition.
I have a plan- that could literally jump propellerhead from zero>hero in a short space of 'time.
That's if the idea is fully considered+ then> successfully realised.
They will lead,not follow. :thumbs_up:
Spill?

zakalwe

19 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:What do you mean by nuts and bolts stuff?
functional featuress like PDC, spline curve automation, enhanced audio fade/snap controls, track folders, group faders/VCAs, track freeze and all that jazz.

Ottostrom

19 May 2016

"They have become the masters of cleverly saying "Hey idiot! Do you have 1 finger??? GREAT! Buy our software and become a ... magnet!" I miss the days when Propellerhead wanted to be taken seriously. Everything they listed here has been in every respectable DAW for years now except these will have the flat fake "Reason sound" which is technically the only thing they can say they created.

I will die laughing when they start their "Hey idiots, have you heard of this thing called VST plug ins??? Yeah bro you gettin dat VSTaTRON Prograck 2.0!!! Give us your $$$$..." campaign.

Reason didn't evolve as quickly as their competitors now they are just another dirty word like FruityLoops."

I guess this is why I try to keep away from the youtube comment section...

zeebot

19 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:
functional featuress like PDC, spline curve automation, enhanced audio fade/snap controls, track folders, group faders/VCAs, track freeze and all that jazz.
But I dont like jazz :?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

zakalwe

19 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
Yes, but many might disagree, but there's not much left other DAW's can integrate surely. It's getting pretty much to the limitations of DAW sequencing isn't it?

So Reason will only just - catch up but with the way Reason works and the back of the rack that other DAW's don't have. The only let down will be - no vst :(

I can live without VST though if they get some of the good / big players on board.
it's not even the lack of VST support, really. it's about bringing reason up to par with the competition on basic functionality. i wouldn't mind buying more REs if they actually worked as well as their VST counterparts do in other software but it's very rare that the CV options actually make up for the lack of PDC on rack extensions. i mean sure it's cool that i can use the effects from antidote on other things but if you have serum or zebra they bundle breakout VSTs that do the same.

i'm actually so precious that i get upset at studio one for not having a sensible snap audio clip end to audio clip start like reaper does or per clip automation. i mean it's horrible, i don't know how i get things done! :puf_bigsmile:

-008'

19 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:
-008' wrote:
-008' wrote:First Reason version that I really don't care about. There are no features in there for someone like me. :(

That said I will still upgrade, just to stay up to date, and looking forward toward any (FREE) additions in possible .1 thru .9 releases.

I'm just going to say it... The players and pitch editor being the only real additions.... from here it's looking a bit like the: "I can't play anything or sing in tune" update. :) That's got me all bah humbug
I'd like to argue with myself now, let's see who wins. :D

There are great guitarists that can't do drums
There are great singers that can't play instruments
There are great multi-instrumentalists that can't sing.

Everyone deserves to get some DAW love, so saying "I can't play or sing" update is a bit silly.
And new devices are always good, since we have so many easy ways to combine devices in Reason. :) I'll find a way to use the new stuff, one always does in Reason.
Curious to hear what features you what.
I guess it's more about the smaller core stuff that people usually worry about.

Updated Combinator.
Regroove to all native device and RE seq's
Vector graphics or w/e.. when we talk about zooming in on devices for a "full screen" view.
Disc Streaming for these RE/IDT
Playable Blocks (ableton-ish clip launching)
Track folders
File versioning
SDK improvements
etc. etc. stuff like that

So, what I want are mostly un-sexy features that don't really sell I guess, so it makes sense why I'm not seeing them. lol
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

zakalwe

19 May 2016

zeebot wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
But I dont like jazz :?

electrofux

19 May 2016

selig wrote:
Aquila wrote:Well I have to say I'm much happier with this announcement than I was with v8.

I'm still mildly disappointed that commonly requested features like expanded Combinator, rack zooming and Rewire weren't addressed though. But the colour themes and player tools seem to be satisfactory enough to warrant an upgrade (although budget limitations means I can't do that any time soon)
As has been said by the Props any time a feature is called "commonly requested", we must remember that we are a very small sub-set of the entire Reason user base. We have almost 2600 members here, and we can only imagine what a small fraction this represents of the entire user base. And of those 2600 members, a small fraction make feature suggestions. And of that group, only a small fraction ask for the same feature!

So it's a "numbers thing" - we THINK our suggestions make sense to everyone, but everyone works differently and has different needs. For example, I believe auto-punch is an all-important feature, but theres's only a handful of folks here that actively agree with me!

And I have to assume that the Props do some pretty intensive market research, despite the fact that many new features aren't things I'd often ever really need myself.

And can I also add that a darker theme, note razoring, audio to MIDI etc. ARE commonly requested features, so it's not like they are ignoring ALL commonly requested features…

Just trying to provide a little perspective here…
:)
Yeah there are so many people with so many first priority wishes. But Auto Punch is a good example. I am waiting for this too, heck i have made a workable loopback combinator which gives me what i want in an okish way (it has to be adjusted for every tempo which is unhandy and is complicated to setup).But one would think it doesnt really take that much developer time to implement it if i can do it via Remote and a Combinator.

Another thing is PDC for inserts. If stuff can be fixed with the ms-delay RE then why cant this be integrated easily. I am aware of complicated latencies on intertwined stuff spread across the rack but for simple insert effects one would think this is a no brainer.

So people are wondering why there aren't more of the smaller but ultimately usefull features in updates.
Props usually do the big features pretty well but imho there should be more detail improvements in the point updates. Sure there are things where one might think this and that should be done in no time when it actually is pretty complicated but among these are probably a lot of wishes that can indeed be implemented quickly.

For example, was i happy when they added new remotables for Redrum, i asked for that for years and having Redrum on my launchpad is just awesome and then they added this blue button which creates a sequencer track for any device for which i also asked for. So last update i was lucky on two "small things" they did just for me lol. But those two alone made me upgrade when i was a bit disappointed of 8.0.

All in all i still like the update. I like the Players alot and i think they have alot of potential (anyone developing a looper player device please?). I am passing on with the audio stuff - not my cup of teas but i see alot of people wanting this. I dont say no to 1000 patches. But as said, if there was autopunch i would be very very happy again ;-)
Last edited by electrofux on 19 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Majestik Monkey

19 May 2016

I suppose you could flip your view point ' 180% & ask why hasn't any other Daw worked on The Modular side # Like Reason has !

I still believe that the Modular options in Reason are its biggest asset to date in the Daw market ! everything else is a plus !

i'm an optimist tho :lol:

WongoTheSane

19 May 2016

lowpryo wrote:question about the chords feature on Scales & Chords... is it possible to also play 7th chords, 9th chords and other more complex chords? or is it just the basic I-ii-iii-IV-V etc
It's possible, although not through the keyboard:
chords.JPG
chords.JPG (42.28 KiB) Viewed 2149 times

Gorgon

19 May 2016

Majestik Monkey wrote:

I suppose you could flip your view point ' 180% & ask why hasn't any other Daw worked on The Modular side # Like Reason has !

I still believe that the Modular options in Reason are its biggest asset to date in the Daw market ! everything else is a plus !

Have you seen Reaktor 6?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

zakalwe

19 May 2016

Majestik Monkey wrote:

i still think a good filter bank in reason is an amazing selling point, though it could really use a new combinator or device with the Mother Of All Envelopes to drive it. i've downloaded a few of the RE ones but they don't seem quite what i need.

but the rack is kind of captive in this DAW now and this DAW has some lovely features but it just doesn't feel whole compared to live or studio one etc. and it really should be, especially since if you get cheesed off with it you can't take your plugins with you.

electrofux

19 May 2016

-008' wrote:

Updated Combinator.
Vector graphics or w/e.. when we talk about zooming in on devices for a "full screen" view.
Track folders
File versioning
SDK improvements

So, what I want are mostly un-sexy features that don't really sell I guess, so it makes sense why I'm not seeing them. lol
There a alot of big things in there like a new Combinator, Clip Launcher, Disk Streaming. I would consider these main features and i think they are not done quickly. I want that too, sure. Clip Launcher is actually my No1 wish. Playable blocks would be fine for me but i assume it would still be a bit clunky as opposed to a real clip launcher so they dont mess with it until they do it right.

Goriila Texas

19 May 2016

-008' wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:
-008' wrote:
-008' wrote:First Reason version that I really don't care about. There are no features in there for someone like me. :(

That said I will still upgrade, just to stay up to date, and looking forward toward any (FREE) additions in possible .1 thru .9 releases.

I'm just going to say it... The players and pitch editor being the only real additions.... from here it's looking a bit like the: "I can't play anything or sing in tune" update. :) That's got me all bah humbug
I'd like to argue with myself now, let's see who wins. :D

There are great guitarists that can't do drums
There are great singers that can't play instruments
There are great multi-instrumentalists that can't sing.

Everyone deserves to get some DAW love, so saying "I can't play or sing" update is a bit silly.
And new devices are always good, since we have so many easy ways to combine devices in Reason. :) I'll find a way to use the new stuff, one always does in Reason.
Curious to hear what features you what.

Updated Combinator.
Track folders
File versioning
SDK improvements

I thought you might have mention a new sampler. :mrgreen:

electrofux

19 May 2016

And btw there are DAWs that do it all but it is a question of how it is done. What level of complexity do more features add to a software? And imho that is where Reason shines. New stuff is generally integrated with alot less clutter and complexity than in other software. I like the level of modularity alot more than in Reaktor in that context.

joeyluck

19 May 2016

Gorgon wrote:
Majestik Monkey wrote:

Have you seen Reaktor 6?
I'm not a fan of that kind of interface. And Reaktor isn't a DAW is it? Or do they plan to incorporate sequencing, mixing, audio recording, etc? Sounds pretty behind the times... :P

-008'

19 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote: I thought you might have mention a new sampler. :mrgreen:
Yeah add that to my list too! lol

@electrofux yeah I agree not all of those are small. Some I would consider "core" are still big things .
:reason: "Reason is not measured by size or height, but by principle.” -Epictetus

Free Kits and :refill: @ -008' Sounds

Zac

19 May 2016

When the leak came I was pretty excited by the features. But those crafty Props have managed to make my dream of 'notes to track' for REs come true in such an elegant way. I really hope this 'player' category is opened up to devs.

Freeze also craftily done, near enough hopefully when the sequencer track is muted, after a clip bounce.

I think they've done a good job with this one. And I'll get all the 8.3 goodies as well :)

Djstarski

19 May 2016

One more thing for me would be to export as MP3 . i send MP3`s to Clients to listen to their track . it will save me having to open up another program to allow to convert wave to Mp3 .No major deal though , just a time saver that`s all .

Stranger.

19 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

nooomy

19 May 2016

Djstarski wrote:One more thing for me would be to export as MP3 . i send MP3`s to Clients to listen to their track . it will save me having to open up another program to allow to convert wave to Mp3 .No major deal though , just a time saver that`s all .
I dont think any DAW has that. I think its because of the mp3 encoding licencing. For example Audacity have solved it by you downloading a seprate encoder file

• Information