Reason 9 Officially Announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Olivier

20 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:
eauhm wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
buddard wrote:But the coolest trick by far is the one Selig mentioned earlier: You can use a Player device to record the notes from any CV sequencer to track with clever use of a Combinator. And since it does it as a bounce operation, you can go wild with CV and automation and it will all be included in the recording!
Sounds interesting.
I just tested this with Step, AutoArp, Korde, Autotheory, Euclid... All works.
But does it work polyphonically or can you only do one note/channel at a time?
I rendered chords from autotherory. so yes, polyphonic in that sense.

Drum triggers however need a bit more research.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

buddard
RE Developer

20 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:
eauhm wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
buddard wrote:But the coolest trick by far is the one Selig mentioned earlier: You can use a Player device to record the notes from any CV sequencer to track with clever use of a Combinator. And since it does it as a bounce operation, you can go wild with CV and automation and it will all be included in the recording!
Sounds interesting.
It's monophonic, one channel at a time, although it supports "pseudo-polyphonic" output from for example Autotheory or slide notes in Step. It uses the CV/Gate inputs on a Combinator to convert from CV to MIDI, so you have the exact same limitations as any normal CV/Gate pair.

(Imagine how cool it would be if Propellerhead added Poly CV support to the Combinator inputs, though!)

Here are the basic steps to be performed. I will be updating our user guides shortly, and possibly create a webpage/video that demonstrate this more visually:
  1. Put your instrument device (whose track you want to write to) in a Combinator
  2. Add any Player device directly to the instrument inside the Combinator (i e do NOT add it to the Combinator itself)
  3. Disable the Player by toggling its On button (but do NOT enable the Bypass switch)
  4. Connect the Gate/CV outputs of your source device (Euclid, Step, Korde, ...) to the corresponding Gate/CV inputs on the Combinator
  5. Set up the loop markers around the bars you want to render
  6. Make sure that Reason's main transport is stopped
  7. On the "header" of the Player device, click on the "Send to track" button
  8. Disable or disconnect your source device to avoid "double notes"
  9. Done! You should now have the MIDI parts rendered to a new note lane on the target instrument's sequencer track!
Note that you can modulate and automate the source device as much as you want, the effects of it will all be included in the rendered note clips.

Faastwalker

20 May 2016

ljekio wrote:
eauhm wrote: I just tested this with Step, AutoArp, Korde, Autotheory, Euclid... All works. Probably a game changer for many.
You can also use pulsar, a square for gate, a sine for note, it doesn't matter. It gets rendered into notes.
How I can achieve it?

UPD: I can record midi notes from cv thru combinator, but not automation.
I'm intrigued to know also (not got the beta yet but I've signed up). Sounds like a cool little trick ;)

raccoonboy

20 May 2016

buddard wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:
eauhm wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
Sounds interesting.
It's monophonic, one channel at a time, although it supports "pseudo-polyphonic" output from for example Autotheory or slide notes in Step. It uses the CV/Gate inputs on a Combinator to convert from CV to MIDI, so you have the exact same limitations as any normal CV/Gate pair.

(Imagine how cool it would be if Propellerhead added Poly CV support to the Combinator inputs, though!)

Here are the basic steps to be performed. I will be updating our user guides shortly, and possibly create a webpage/video that demonstrate this more visually:
  1. Put your instrument device (whose track you want to write to) in a Combinator
  2. Add any Player device directly to the instrument inside the Combinator (i e do NOT add it to the Combinator itself)
  3. Disable the Player by toggling its On button (but do NOT enable the Bypass switch)
  4. Connect the Gate/CV outputs of your source device (Euclid, Step, Korde, ...) to the corresponding Gate/CV inputs on the Combinator
  9. Done! You should now have the MIDI parts rendered to a new note lane on the target instrument's sequencer track!
Note that you can modulate and automate the source device as much as you want, the effects of it will all be included in the rendered note clips.
Sounds good. Little bit disappointed it's not polyphonic. Obviously as it takes CV then it has to be monophonic, I thought maybe it did it 'wirelessly' as some people are calling it. So basically everyone who wants to write a sequence to MIDI, i.e. Korde on 8 channels they'd have to do one track at a time? I guess it's a bit quicker than sending through virtual MIDI.

ARAlife

20 May 2016

Question:

Buy necessarily about the Propellerheads shop to get a free v9?

or can I buy the update in another shop to get a free v9?

Creativemind

20 May 2016

decibel wrote:i looked around for cheap R8 upgrades (if brought now you get R9 for free) and the one place that had them on sale are conveniently out of stock right now :( i asked if they sell it as a digital download but they only ship the physical product, its a shame because it would have only cost about $145 (aud) to upgrade if they did have it in stock
That's cheap...that's £72 in uk money. The cheapest I've seen over here is Amazon. It was £89 but Reason 8 seems to be £99 on there now. We'll see what price it is when it comes out. It's £99 if you convert the euro's on the props site. €129.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

electrofux

20 May 2016

buddard wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:
eauhm wrote:
Faastwalker wrote:
Sounds interesting.

Not sure that i have understood how this works internally but it is a cool thing.

madmacman

20 May 2016

ARAlife wrote:Question:

I forwarded this question to Props support und got immediate reply:
Hi xxx,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

You're right! You can purchase Reason 8 either from our shop or from a local dealer and still get the free Upgrade to Reason 9 (as long as you register your license to your user account).

I hope this information helped, please get back to us if you have any further questions.

Creativemind

20 May 2016

It doesn't matter where you buy the R8 upgrade. If you get it after the date the Props specified you will get Reason 9 for free. Obviously not second hand though. It has to be after that date that R8 was purchased.

miscend

20 May 2016

selig wrote:
miscend wrote:I hope they improved the pitch correction algorithm because Neptune does some nasty things to vocals even with very light correction.
It's not the same algorithm. Neptune in "real time", sequencer stretch/pitch has always been offline processing (which can be far more sophisticated). That is to say, it's the same algorithm that's used on the audio tracks, which sounds fantastic IMO.
:)
Great news. Can't wait to test it out.

Also can rack extensions such as Auto Arp/ Auto Theory now be updated to become midi devices?

Olivier

20 May 2016

miscend wrote:Also can rack extensions such as Auto Arp/ Auto Theory now be updated to become midi devices?
That is unknown at this point as there is no news about THE SDK or this becoming part of said SDK.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Ostermilk

20 May 2016

selig wrote:
miscend wrote:I hope they improved the pitch correction algorithm because Neptune does some nasty things to vocals even with very light correction.
It's not the same algorithm. Neptune in "real time", sequencer stretch/pitch has always been offline processing (which can be far more sophisticated). That is to say, it's the same algorithm that's used on the audio tracks, which sounds fantastic IMO.
Further to this audio to midi which is to be afforded by the sequencer pitch correction will enhance one of the areas where Neptune excels which is its voice synthesis, running a harmony directly from the midi generated by a vocal line is going to bring Neptune back into the game big style, not so much for it's pitch correction but for its excellent voice synthesis capabilities.

Vibrato has been mentioned on this thread also so don't forget Neptune DOES have vibrato capabilities which are effective even if you aren't using it for pitch correction.

So now we have the best of functionality of Neptune's realitime (Autotune style) capabilities and the sequencers offline Pitch Editing (Melodyne style) combined.

This is certainly an area where I'm going to be taking a much closer look.

People will likely lament the fact the pitch editor is monophonic whereas in reality most of my use of Melodyne is with monophonic material so I can't say I'll miss the DNA aspect of Melodyne that much (if at all) if the monophonic editing quality is there.

am0eba

20 May 2016

CookieClimber wrote:Yeah. haha Come on. Who used Line 6 anyway? Everyone with a guitar has a real amp anyway, and everyone with Reason SHOULD have a microphone. ;)
I don't have a real guitar or a real amp. Lots of my tracks use the line 6 devices for tonal coloring and presence. Reconstructing these will be a nightmare.

Thanks for your comments!

_Dave_
:reason: :re: :refill: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :PUF_take: :record: :rt:
"F" the ineffable! 
My music is available on iTunes, Amazon, Youtube, Spotify and CDBaby - more info:
http://2little2late.org/am0eba/

Creativemind

20 May 2016

Benedict wrote:Bottom right on the screenshot next to the output level there are two overlapping circles - would that indicate some fort of Mono check mode?

So far I am pretty excited about this. In every upgrade I have had so far (2.5 - 8.3) the reality has exceeded the marketing so this could be really good.

Nothing as elaborate as that in the end eh Benedict, the Drop to Allihoopa wasn't it? lol!

satyr32

20 May 2016

Do the players work with the Midi Out Device to play hardware synths?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

buddard
RE Developer

20 May 2016

satyr32 wrote:Do the players work with the Midi Out Device to play hardware synths?
Yes, they do!

ARAlife

20 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:

It doesn't matter where you buy the R8 upgrade. If you get it after the date the Props specified you will get Reason 9 for free. Obviously not second hand though. It has to be after that date that R8 was purchased.
madmacman wrote:

I forwarded this question to Props support und got immediate reply:
Hi xxx,

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

You're right! You can purchase Reason 8 either from our shop or from a local dealer and still get the free Upgrade to Reason 9 (as long as you register your license to your user account).

I hope this information helped, please get back to us if you have any further questions.

Thanks

JoshuaPhilgarlic

21 May 2016

I didn't upgrade to boring R8 until props released RV7000 Mk II, but I'll upgrade to R9 the day it comes out :D ! I don't need everything that's revealed so far - I don't sing, so I've no use for the pitch editor, but who knows? Perhaps I will sing now :o ?? Anyway, I see some cool features and I'm eager to get them :) .

Creativemind

21 May 2016

Reason 9's dark themes, Blue and Dark don't look that much different imo.
Last edited by Creativemind on 21 May 2016, edited 3 times in total.

Creativemind

21 May 2016

jappe wrote: Cut notes with Razor - I hope that works when razoring clip notes that's starts or ends outside the clip.That's something I've found mildly frustrating.
Don't know if anyone has answered this yet as I saw it yesterday I think it was. I had to search it out. Yes indeedy, it does. If a note runs out of the clip, you can cut it with the razor. Sweet!

The only thing is, as good a midi feature as that is, doesn't anyone else think there's quite a few midi editing features needed in Reason and cutting notes with the razor is way down that list. What about muting / unmuting of notes, ghost clips (editable), steptime editing, displaying notes on the piano keys and on the midi notes and shaded rows when a midi controller key is pressed or any note added. Way in front of slicing notes. Also, you can't re-join them back together again. Should be able to box the two notes and do ctrl-j like you can with audio or midi clips. You can however undo it, but then you'll at some point cut some notes then go and do a few other things and then it won't be your last undo so you'll have to weigh up the options of whether you want to undo 10 other events you did after. Which leads me to another feature I was hoping for, an undo events list, to go back to a specific undo, and the undo's need upping further still from 300 to at least 500. I was working in a project on another daw and in an hour and a half had 230 undo's in the undo events list. That daw didn't undo every minute thing like Reason either. 300 could be exceeded easily in a couple of hours. 500 could be as well but maybe that's enough to go back to something.

ljekio

22 May 2016

BTW, face of regroove was forgotten and wasn't change skin with face of Reason.
But I miss about oldstyle transport and sequencer window sometime after Regroove was opened.

miscend

23 May 2016

I thought they announced that Pulsar and the Softube Amps were no longer separate rack extensions but included as part of Reason?

decibel

23 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
decibel wrote:i looked around for cheap R8 upgrades (if brought now you get R9 for free) and the one place that had them on sale are conveniently out of stock right now :( i asked if they sell it as a digital download but they only ship the physical product, its a shame because it would have only cost about $145 (aud) to upgrade if they did have it in stock
That's cheap...that's £72 in uk money. The cheapest I've seen over here is Amazon. It was £89 but Reason 8 seems to be £99 on there now. We'll see what price it is when it comes out. It's £99 if you convert the euro's on the props site. €129.

mate, if you have patience ? juno have it for £70 ;)

http://www.juno.co.uk/products/propelle ... rrency=GBP

RandomSkratch

24 May 2016

miscend wrote:I thought they announced that Pulsar and the Softube Amps were no longer separate rack extensions but included as part of Reason?
Yes that's true.

AlienJunk

25 May 2016

Question. Does the new FSB have many additions to the metal drums in OctoRex more time signatures in any of the acpustic drum loops? I really find that to be lacking, eeven with third party ReFills

• Information