Reason 9 is ridicubad...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:i dont like the whole direction propellerhead is going. there is not the slightest bit im even interested in, actually i even disrespect the kind of devices they introduce. People are still joking about it nowadays but i bet there is already someone at propellerhead working overtime on a "hit button" for reason 10.
Chizmata wrote:i think i pointed out my subjectivity quite a lot in the OP. just not about the players, this stuff is so outrageous that i cant control myself.
Please keep in mind that, as artists, we're all different, have different backgrounds and talents, and all focus on different aspects of music creation. Devices like the new players are not a step on the path to a "hit button", but tools that may help some artists to focus on other parts of music creation.

I will show myself as an example. I have not musical background and can't play any musical instrument. And I don't mind: I see myself as someone who "write" music instead of playing it, and have no real interest in learning how to "perform". On the other hand, I have a very mathematical and experimental mind, leading me to always create my own patches on synths and to experiment a lot with CV and audio routing. So I will gladly welcome any tool that will help me doing, for example, the basic chords I need in my music, since this leaves me more time to focus on the experimental part of my creations.

I could see patches banks for synthesizers as something for "lazy" people, but I've understood that's just a tool for people who don't want to spend all their time tweaking synths. I don't buy any, but understand there might be a market for that and respect people who use them. That's the same thing with devices like chords generators: for people who don't want to spend much time learning music theory and focus on something else, those tools are great, useful, and can help someone reach great results focussing on what they have real talent and interest.
This comment is provided courtesy of PRX-A!

Chizmata

20 May 2016

esselfortium wrote: But maybe this update just isn't for you, and that's okay too. If you're still wanting to stick with Reason instead of moving to another DAW, maybe there are some Rack Extensions that would be a more effective use of your $129. If not, there's a whole universe of other amazing music tools out there and not much sense in sticking around lamenting Reason if it just frustrates you.
i am gonna stick, even though i always found Reaktor interesting

Stranger.

20 May 2016

ΣΣΣ
Last edited by Stranger. on 03 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Chizmata

20 May 2016

electrochoc (PRX-A) wrote:
Chizmata wrote:i dont like the whole direction propellerhead is going. there is not the slightest bit im even interested in, actually i even disrespect the kind of devices they introduce. People are still joking about it nowadays but i bet there is already someone at propellerhead working overtime on a "hit button" for reason 10.
Chizmata wrote:i think i pointed out my subjectivity quite a lot in the OP. just not about the players, this stuff is so outrageous that i cant control myself.
I will show myself as an example. I have not musical background and can't play any musical instrument. And I don't mind: I see myself as someone who "write" music instead of playing it, and have no real interest in learning how to "perform". On the other hand, I have a very mathematical and experimental mind, leading me to always create my own patches on synths and to experiment a lot with CV and audio routing. So I will gladly welcome any tool that will help me doing, for example, the basic chords I need in my music, since this leaves me more time to focus on the experimental part of my creations.
i am exactly like that and it took me an hour to google and understand the circle of fifths and i doubt it would take anyone longer. but yeah, lets make a device for that instead of further developing reasons existing strengths.

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 May 2016

esselfortium wrote:There will almost certainly be some cool creative uses beyond the basics. Considering Propellerhead's track record, chances are pretty good that I'll be pleasantly surprised as usual. And I can imagine already that the bounce-in-place and pitch editing functionality is going to open up a lot of avenues for dicing up sounds and processing audio in interesting ways.
Good point! Propellerhead tend to create devices that, while looking essentially like shortcuts, introduce functions that open possibilities for those who can take advantages of it. Pulverizer can be used as a pretty unique filter, a distorsion device, and have a lot of modulation possibilities... And it introduces envelop following in Reason, convertible into CV! The Echo, Alligator, Polar... All those devices can see a very wide range of uses beyond what they are basically supposed to be used for! That's one of Propellerhead's forces: in their devices, there's always a lot of those little hidden things that open up many possibilities for those who see it! I can't wait to see how tweakers will show us what these new players are really capable of!

lowpryo

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
i am exactly like that and it took me an hour to google and understand the circle of fifths and i doubt it would take anyone longer. but yeah, lets make a device for that instead of further developing reasons existing strengths.
what would be your wishlist of features for an acceptable Reason upgrade? let's exclude VST support because we know that's on everyone's wishlist and it's not going to happen.

Chizmata

20 May 2016

lowpryo wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
what would be your wishlist of features for an acceptable Reason upgrade? let's exclude VST support because we know that's on everyone's wishlist and it's not going to happen.
hell no i do not want vst support, i like it latency-free. but as we are already there: latency compensation would be a thing, or make some old devices like bv512 or neptune latency-free if thats technically possible. then curve drawing in automations, a less clunky interface, new sound generation plugins for thor and kong. many people also want more knobs and buttons on the combinator. make every of thors parameters accessible in the mod matrix (like filter env amp) and every kong fx knob in the combinator. cv strentgh knob automation. new lfo waves or the possibility to set to every synchronized rate you want (like 5/16, 8/5 etc). maybe even scrap the whole sequencer and add a truly elaborate "Hardware" sequencer :D (nah man you cant do that at this point). a blue background. oh wait...

Iapetus 9

20 May 2016

I understand the frustration. It can get a little worrisome if you think your DAW is putting on training wheels for the musically ignorant. I say that on purpose, because it ain't rocket science and the knowledge is freely available. I too, can't respect a person who has all the deep DAW advice...and yet wouldn't know music theory if it was stapled to their forehead. Such is life and technology I guess.

My wish list for Reason 9 is very short, and none of it was met AFAIK...don't know until release. They could release the new SDK with sample import and I'd be pleased as spiked punch. I can also see those silly player devices being funsies in a modular type combi, so I wouldn't say they were useless. I'm still on the fence, but Reason 9 is looking a hell of lot better than 8 for me. I might just go for it come release and stay more current as I still have a deep love for the software. YMMV.
38L > 51D every time.

jfrichards

20 May 2016

hmmm hmm hmm hmfff
Attachments
zip it.jpg
zip it.jpg (96.03 KiB) Viewed 2230 times

BPGeez

20 May 2016

Geeesh.. where the fuck is the dislike button when u need it?
Reason is my girlfriend. Sometimes she mistreats me, but I still love her.

Checkout my tunes made with Reason: https://soundcloud.com/geez-musicals

lowpryo

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
lowpryo wrote: what would be your wishlist of features for an acceptable Reason upgrade? let's exclude VST support because we know that's on everyone's wishlist and it's not going to happen.
hell no i do not want vst support, i like it latency-free. but as we are already there: latency compensation would be a thing, or make some old devices like bv512 or neptune latency-free if thats technically possible. then curve drawing in automations, a less clunky interface, new sound generation plugins for thor and kong. many people also want more knobs and buttons on the combinator. make every of thors parameters accessible in the mod matrix (like filter env amp) and every kong fx knob in the combinator. cv strentgh knob automation. new lfo waves or the possibility to set to every synchronized rate you want (like 5/16, 8/5 etc). maybe even scrap the whole sequencer and add a truly elaborate "Hardware" sequencer :D (nah man you cant do that at this point). a blue background. oh wait...
if the upgrade to R9 was mostly additions to Thor, Kong and the combinator, I'd probably be just as unhappy as you are now! that would feel pretty lazy to me, and not very forward-thinking.

on the other hand, the Players seem like a very unique and creative input method. sure, other DAWs and VSTs have had similar features, but Players seem to accomplish it in a very intuitive and fun way. and I know a bit of theory, and I've never had trouble composing pieces. I just love shaking up my process, and automating things for unexpected results. I can't wait to run some crazy chord & arp patterns, bounce them to audio with a click, and chop the good bits out. that's the kind of joy I seek from making electronic music!

I guess that just goes to show that Props can't please everyone at once.

Jagwah

20 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:It's hard to have an opinion on this forum without someone always wanting to lock a post. Some people agree with or disagree with you.
While I think on this occasion it was more of a tongue in cheek joke, I'm never OK with locking threads and the new and improved 'merging' threads (burying one inside another, causing confusion and broken discussions) and I'm always going to stand up and voice my opinion about it and even rally the troops together if it became a problem. It's like a type of passive-aggressive censorship, and typically would have more to do with the personal opinions of someone with admin rights rather than keeping a forum tidy or free of personal attacks. There is always the option to give someone a temporary ban, rather than close an entire thread full of discussions. I understand this is not my website and the owner can do whatever he feels like doing, but I don't believe the intention here is to censor anyone, so I hope these actions in future will be carried out with careful consideration, not that they haven't been already :)

Jagwah

20 May 2016

avasopht wrote:I've found creative uses for the Players and I'm a gospel jazz keyboardist, you just have to look for possibilities, there are some really creative ways to chain these together.

Hopefully they will open up Players to other developers :)
Is it true you can put them inside a combinator then use the Combi's CV Gate and Note ins similar to as if the were on the player devices themselves?

orthodox
RE Developer

20 May 2016

Jagwah wrote:Is it true you can put them inside a combinator then use the Combi's CV Gate and Note ins similar to as if the were on the player devices themselves?
Yes you can.
However, I couldn't find how I could route midi output from players to another combinator in this case.

Jagwah

20 May 2016

orthodox wrote:
Jagwah wrote:Is it true you can put them inside a combinator then use the Combi's CV Gate and Note ins similar to as if the were on the player devices themselves?
Yes you can.
However, I couldn't find how I could route midi output from players to another combinator in this case.
thanks been dying to know that - haven't seen a rear panel shot of any of them. Are you saying that these don't have CV outs on them? Man I hope not.

mreese80

20 May 2016

Jagwah wrote:
mreese80 wrote:It's hard to have an opinion on this forum without someone always wanting to lock a post. Some people agree with or disagree with you.
While I think on this occasion it was more of a tongue in cheek joke, I'm never OK with locking threads and the new and improved 'merging' threads (burying one inside another, causing confusion and broken discussions) and I'm always going to stand up and voice my opinion about it and even rally the troops together if it became a problem. It's like a type of passive-aggressive censorship, and typically would have more to do with the personal opinions of someone with admin rights rather than keeping a forum tidy or free of personal attacks. There is always the option to give someone a temporary ban, rather than close an entire thread full of discussions. I understand this is not my website and the owner can do whatever he feels like doing, but I don't believe the intention here is to censor anyone, so I hope these actions in future will be carried out with careful consideration, not that they haven't been already :)
I've seen that happen to many times to think it was a joke. I've had some threads that went far left from comments of others that i didn't think were serious or disrespectful at all and the posts got shut down. This has happened on more than one occasion. I don't call no shots on this forum so it doesn't really matter to me. I don't have a problem with nobody or anybody's comments. I'm not that sensitive. I live people who say what they mean.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

electrochoc (PRX-A)

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:hell no i do not want vst support, i like it latency-free. but as we are already there: latency compensation would be a thing, or make some old devices like bv512 or neptune latency-free if thats technically possible. then curve drawing in automations, a less clunky interface, new sound generation plugins for thor and kong. many people also want more knobs and buttons on the combinator. make every of thors parameters accessible in the mod matrix (like filter env amp) and every kong fx knob in the combinator. cv strentgh knob automation. new lfo waves or the possibility to set to every synchronized rate you want (like 5/16, 8/5 etc). maybe even scrap the whole sequencer and add a truly elaborate "Hardware" sequencer :D (nah man you cant do that at this point). a blue background. oh wait...
That's a fairly reasonable wishlist in fact... I myself would have been more excited with a new Combinator... and curve drawing in automation (I use Charlotte as a workaround)... The trick allowing note to track from any CV device is in fact the feature from Reason 9 I'm the most excited about as of now: I'd have to try the players to see what other possibilities they hide. But, since I'm still on Reason 6.5, all the the other features I'd got while upgrading (some important ones like MIDI-out) are making Reason 9 my most probable next upgrade... :puf_smile:

jjpscott01

20 May 2016

Softphonics wrote:As a vocalist personally away from development, I am totally loving the pitch editing in the sequencer, been playing with it all day!! ..and it works so smoothly. Honestly the upgrade is worth that alone for me on a personal level... Hands down.. take my money
This. The pitch editor honestly took me by surprise at well they implemented this. I'm having a blast with the new player devices, and the new themes are awesome for changing up the mood a bit. I couldn't be more thrilled with this release
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

20 May 2016

Chizmata wrote: ive tested the beta and my favourite feature is the new background color. there is literally no other change that makes a sense for me. the players are a joke, i dont know what they were thinking. have an excuse for charging you money? its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7 and a chord generator for people who cant press buttons themselves.

ok i see that some features make sense for other people like bounce in place, convert audio/midi or the whole voice editing thing - not for my kind of music though. and im not sure if these alone are worth 129 bucks... surely not for me. this stuff could have been r8.5 too. tbh i absolutely hate the direction they are going with r9 (if that can be called a direction at all) and i think they're actually done and just want to milk the franchise until it dies.

edit: and no i also dont care about 1000 souds caus i use no presets and rarely samples.

peace out, gonna stick with what i have.
Sorry to hear that Reason 9 is not for you and I understand how you feel as like others having been waiting for an upgrade, I will be upgrading as I'm on 7 and when 8 came out, I did not really like the interface colours and the other changes did not totally float my boat and I felt my money was better spent on RE, but now there are enough changes for me to make the step (that's 8 and 9 combined), maybe 10 will have what you want if they change direction for you.
I'm happy with Reason however would like to see more changes to the SEQ section. I think we having to remember the root for Reason in the first place, I just brought the Polymodular System I, going to have loads of fun with that, but some people don't want to do all that cabling and sound tweaking and just want to load up a big fat sound but they are probably more creative on the song writing side of the things, horses for courses...

joeyluck

20 May 2016

I play piano and I really dig the new Player devices. Makes composing ideas on the QWERTY keyboard even more feasible.

But even when I'm on my Korg Microkey controller or my 88 key Studiologic, I still find great use for the Player devices. I studied music theory in school (and I'm alright with it) but it's always nice to have a quick way to discover a chord or chord progression I may not have done otherwise. I do tend to find myself writing similar progressions and using similar chords often when playing naturally. When I wing it, I often fall to habits, I suppose.

With the Chords and Scales player, I can see and learn the chord via the Player's display...and of course I can 'send to track' and se it in the Sequencer and edit it further. My preference when performing live would be to learn the chords and my progressions and play every note. And this helps with that. I find it plays much more naturally than the AutoTheory RE; playing between chords and triggering chords at the same time by pressing keys at the same time or having key strokes overlap.

I also am very appreciative of having the Pitch Edit. I like Neptune, but it wasn't so good for subtle tuning. Pitch Edit will work wonders for fixing vocals just right.

I have yet to dive into the Audio to MIDI, but I think that will also help me get ideas down fast as I often find I can tend to be more creative with writing melodies by humming or singing them.

These tools I find are very important for song writing and for a DAW to have. Just like we want to be able to quantize our MIDI notes and audio. Just like we want to use compressors and add reverb. Reason is covering more valuable songwriting bases IMO.

Overall, I'm excited to make more music and make music that is unique to my writing style/habits. I will learn from it, just as I learned when I first started using Reason 1 (that new-fangled music making software). Which I started using as I graduated from using 4-track recorders and sequencing on hardware samplers. I remember when I first refused to use the Dr. Rex. I didn't want to use 'loops.' I didn't use Dr. Octo Rex until Reason 7 when I was introduced to making my own Rex files... I find that I can still express myself using the Dr. Octo Rex just the same as I can using the Player devices. I still choose and make the path...

Melody303

20 May 2016

Last Alternative wrote:Give it a few more upgrades. I can already see Reason getting dumbed down into a toy.
Dumbed down to a toy with a 1000+ pages long manual? :p
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

zeebot

20 May 2016

Isn't beta testing to help props find bugs and not to try it for a day and then batch about it? I'm sure there are others in line that could be more useful to them. Just sayin.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Ostermilk

20 May 2016

Kids, eh?

I can understand now why my parents chose not to have any.

Last Alternative

20 May 2016

I'm joking people. Calm down! Haha
I'm still with Reason aren't I?
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Blast

21 May 2016

I am a bit disappointed too with Reason 9 UPDATE , I was looking for a bit bit more and did not get it.However Reason is still a great DAW for making music and I will buy the update and hope that Props give us some of our request with future updates whether it be 9.xx or reason 10.

• Information