Reason 9 is ridicubad...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

21 May 2016

The Reason 9 update is some Ableton features in a cool Reason way. Those of you who also use Ableton will see this eventually if you haven't already. Nice for Reason users who only use Reason software but it's nothing new. A serious audio editing update is what is needed. I will continue saying this.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

rexbrewer

21 May 2016

I personally love the upgrade and it's got me excited to work in Reason again. I work a lot in Ableton Live as well as Reason and the new players in my opinion are fantastic. The chord generator for instance. I can play all those chords my self no problem but when it comes to me just taking 1 finger and randomly placing it on the keys a few times it plays stuff I wouldn't of thought of playing in that particular order so to me, this is great for creative purposes. Same goes with the other two players. I do love the bounce midi to audio and the new pitch editor. TBH the reason (no pun intended lol) I work in Ableton so much is I use Melodyne on almost every project for various reasons, and now this pitch editor will essentially do the same thing I have been doing with melodyne, albeit the polyphonic aspect.

Shokstar

21 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:The Reason 9 update is some Ableton features in a cool Reason way. Those of you who also use Ableton will see this eventually if you haven't already. Nice for Reason users who only use Reason software but it's nothing new. A serious audio editing update is what is needed. I will continue saying this.
True, but it's a good start to add modern features to the DAW, I guess they can't survive longer with only the limited r8 feats. R8 was for me a fail and should be part of r9. But at the ends money talks. You're absolutely right, it's nothing special for multi DAW users. What we get now is a vari audio like cubase has and some other DAW s and it's cool to have a feat like this because I don't need to switch back to my old cubase 6.5 version just for editing the vocals pitch.

In this case I think they did a good job to listen to the people's, since r8 came out and under Shitstorm came with r8.
To make Reason to a real Major DAW. (but this can take a long time because we are now in 2009 with Reason). :D

decibel

21 May 2016

the way i see it, is if you enjoy using reason already, you will enjoy it even more now :)
if you all love other daws so much, nobodys forcing you all to hang around and continue using reason lol

*funny thing i noticed the other day, while filtering through all the comments on youtube regarding R9 release, i couldnt help checking out some of the profiles that had made negative whining comments about it, i was able to dig deeper and even find the musical output of some of those whiners and as i had suspected, their music was generally shit and regardless of what fancy daw they were utilizing there was nothing that was going to change that ;) lol, on the other hand there are plenty of people who have put in the time and effort to learn how to use reason properly and they manage to get great results with it.. it seems there are plenty of people who like to blame their creative short comings on the equipment at their disposal , when these days even the mos basic music software can yield good results in the right hands etc

mreese80

21 May 2016

Shokstar wrote:
mreese80 wrote:The Reason 9 update is some Ableton features in a cool Reason way. Those of you who also use Ableton will see this eventually if you haven't already. Nice for Reason users who only use Reason software but it's nothing new. A serious audio editing update is what is needed. I will continue saying this.
True, but it's a good start to add modern features to the DAW, I guess they can't survive longer with only the limited r8 feats. R8 was for me a fail and should be part of r9. But at the ends money talks. You're absolutely right, it's nothing special for multi DAW users. What we get now is a vari audio like cubase has and some other DAW s and it's cool to have a feat like this because I don't need to switch back to my old cubase 6.5 version just for editing the vocals pitch.

In this case I think they did a good job to listen to the people's, since r8 came out and under Shitstorm came with r8.
To make Reason to a real Major DAW. (but this can take a long time because we are now in 2009 with Reason). :D
Everything you said is true but even when they do bring modern features to reason they are still behind. I like reason. Even though i have more advanced features in my other 2 daws i still love using reason. What blows my mind is how they continue to overlook the little things that they should have already nailed. They was on the right track with the audio tracks and adding recycle into the software but it stopped. And they was behind than when they did. And you are so right, we are in 2009 with reason lol. But we still love it even though it's years behind :D
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

kitekrazy

21 May 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:As a dev, there's another aspect that really irritating. Those guys (Props) have spent several THOUSAND man-hours on this update. None of this is easy or quick to imagine, devise, design, code, integrate with all the rest, make sure it doesn't break anything else, test, debug... Granted, it's not perfect (but then nothing ever is), but it works, it does things that simply couldn't be possible otherwise in this context, it is a set of incredibly rich tools that can be combined ad infinitum and can produce excellent results in the right hands. Those tools may or may not appeal to you, depending on your inclination, but having a quick glance at it - seriously, have you even tried them? - and saying it's a joke, ridicubad and whatever else, that's just rude for rudeness sake.

It's equivalent to someone pressing play on one of your pieces, you know, one you particularly like and have pored over for hours, pressing stop before the first bar is even finished and saying "that's shit music mate, the mixing is shit and it's a shitty genre anyway and you're a shitty composer". Whatever happened to "I don't like it so I'll leave to let people enjoy it"??? I mean, if you don't like a movie, will you leave the theater or comment aloud "it's a shit movie" for two hours?

You're entitled to your opinion, and entitled to express it, but being gratuitously rude makes you ridiculous, childish and entitled. Dismissing good people's good work like it was nothing... Shame.
Something only a developer would say. Few point releases, alihoopla, rack extensions, kinda sways me from riding in your boat. Of the DAWs I have Reason has the fewest point releases and eventually people start looking at competitors. That was a rant from Sonar users. Two patches and fork over money for a new version. Unfortunately with Reason they are at least a few years behind the competitors and that doesn't draw new users and it's the fan boys that keep them afloat. I also think some of the new features just like in 8 were more eclectic and that is not a band thing.
I'll hold out for an upgrade deal if they throw in some rack extensions. I've done that with Sonar many times when they throw in some nice 3rd party stuff.

I find it interesting that they have made money from their inefficiencies from end user and developer called rack extensions.

Shokstar

21 May 2016

mreese80 wrote:
Shokstar wrote:

Everything you said is true but even when they do bring modern features to reason they are still behind. I like reason. Even though i have more advanced features in my other 2 daws i still love using reason. What blows my mind is how they continue to overlook the little things that they should have already nailed. They was on the right track with the audio tracks and adding recycle into the software but it stopped. And they was behind than when they did. And you are so right, we are in 2009 with reason lol. But we still love it even though it's years behind :D

Reason is still my Main DAW. And at the end isn´t it the DAW what is making the Music, it is the "USER" and his skill. We all starting with a blank project, you can have the best DAW and the best plugins of the world, without a feeling for music will it sound worse, right?

platzangst

21 May 2016

What...
Chizmata wrote:and that is friendly for s***s a**

... what phrase was this supposed to be? I've worked in places where people cuss a steady stream like a fleet of sailors continually banging their shins, and I just don't get this. I mean, even if I pick the two most obvious word choices that still leaves a phrase I've never heard another human being utter at their worst. Is this one of those phrases that gets translated to English in a particularly awkward way?

Chizmata

21 May 2016

decibel wrote: it seems there are plenty of people who like to blame their creative short comings on the equipment at their disposal
and these are exactly the people the r9 upgrades seem to be aimed at.

decibel

21 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:
decibel wrote: it seems there are plenty of people who like to blame their creative short comings on the equipment at their disposal
lol, two sides to every coin i guess, but still, if it doesnt meet your requirements any more ? why not just move on to something more substantial ?
or just come back in another two years, maybe then props might have closed a few more gaps between them and every other daw ? i mean its obvious there are plenty of features they could still implement to make things even easier, but why let that stop you in the present ? reason is fully capable of producing decent tunes imo, and will no doubt continue to evolve "eventually" lol ;)

ljekio

21 May 2016

So I can understand, this thread for negative flow?
Ok, without words about unrealized wishes I dont know why @players cannot have cv in / out for more maneuverability.
And why it cannot any automation like "performance controllers" write into track when "send to track" option is use.

In the rest very interesting upgrade.

raccoonboy

21 May 2016

platzangst wrote:What...

... what phrase was this supposed to be?

got to be 'sucks a$$'

Chizmata

21 May 2016

decibel wrote:
Chizmata wrote:
lol, two sides to every coin i guess, but still, if it doesnt meet your requirements any more ? why not just move on to something more substantial ?
or just come back in another two years, maybe then props might have closed a few more gaps between them and every other daw ? i mean its obvious there are plenty of features they could still implement to make things even easier, but why let that stop you in the present ? reason is fully capable of producing decent tunes imo, and will no doubt continue to evolve "eventually" lol ;)
reason does still meet my requirements and probably as evereyone else, i'm far from "maxing out its possibilities", as that thread the other day said so well. im gonna stick with r8 (even though that was a bad upgrade already but i came from 4). and i dont really want them to focus on making things easier, streamlining stuff etc etc, i want them to build on, enhance and refine reasons existing fundamental concept of emulating analogue equipment.

another thing i would like would be emulation of an (super-modern) analogue sequencer with like 16 assignable track on/off buttons for live mixing. THAT would be a huge enhancement and also true to reason.

boobytrap

21 May 2016

what I can see here is some people don't accept R9 as a proper major upgrade. That's correct. For a knowledgeable professional producer don't need any of this players, patches or pitch edit. Even themes. But the truth is most wanted features that we all expected are left behind.
they have to do Advance in midi editing and audio editing. with super fast workflow plan. enhance the piano roll. grouping tracks, Automation curves, fade in out curves. advance note editor, mixer improvements(EQ) and so many thousands of things.
personally I accept with the price what they offer. if someone see this as a R8.5, nothing wrong with that.

color edited
Last edited by boobytrap on 21 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

boobytrap

21 May 2016

this is a example for minor upgrades !

http://www.reaper.fm/download-old.php

stevan

21 May 2016

... I do remember R3 announcement : "what ? only that Combinator thing and some mastering units ? thats all ? "

I think that udate is spectacular in every way - there is a complete new group called Players and it's obvious that there will be more in that category in the future ...The pitch edit functionality is awesome and got endless possibilities and it doesn't work only for vocals, I tried it with guitar or bass - beautiful ! ... and the color theme thing I thought it's the most important for me it's nearly senseless ;) , I still love the original one most ... crazy :)

platzangst

21 May 2016

raccoonboy wrote:

got to be 'sucks a$$'

"and that is friendly for sucks a$$"?

What's that mean? ... and why star-out "sucks"?

Folks, I implore you. If you're going to swear, just do it. Cuss words should be an expression of raw emotion, not something you dance around as if you want to say a bad thing but you're still too worried your Mom is going to read over your shoulder and catch you. This cutesy self-censoring stuff is like standing on the shallow end of a swimming pool with one foot in, one out. Bypasses the whole point.

Raveshaper

21 May 2016

gak wrote:Now, which lock will I be in before?
That last one. Just rake the pins and you're in! :lol:
selig wrote:Should I just lock this now...
But seriously, this should probably be locked. It's a go.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ljekio

21 May 2016

boobytrap wrote:Advance in midi editing and audio editing.
MIDI record (at loop mode) remain from Reason 1 without changes.
Oh no, from 1 to 3 version there was "overdub/replace" switch. :)
From 4 version doesn't have it.
And performance controls I cannt instant record into separately lanes.
Last edited by ljekio on 21 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

boobytrap

21 May 2016

stevan wrote:... I do remember R3 announcement : "what ? only that Combinator thing and some mastering units ? thats all ? "

I think that udate is spectacular in every way - there is a complete new group called Players and it's obvious that there will be more in that category in the future ...The pitch edit functionality is awesome and got endless possibilities and it doesn't work only for vocals, I tried it with guitar or bass - beautiful ! ... and the color theme thing I thought it's the most important for me it's nearly senseless ;) , I still love the original one most ... crazy :)
You're talking about 11 years ago scene. I know reason since r4. What about the 7-8 upgrades. R6 was a major upgrade. 7-8-9 combination like a major upgrade. is That mean this really R9 or R7 ?

ljekio

21 May 2016

But Audio to Midi bounce is main feature of this upgrade for me.
Chords from one finger and new beautiful Arps with direct midi recordings is strong side too.

raccoonboy

21 May 2016

platzangst wrote:
raccoonboy wrote:

got to be 'sucks a$$'

"and that is friendly for sucks a$$"?

What's that mean? ... and why star-out "sucks"?

Folks, I implore you. If you're going to swear, just do it. Cuss words should be an expression of raw emotion, not something you dance around as if you want to say a bad thing but you're still too worried your Mom is going to read over your shoulder and catch you. This cutesy self-censoring stuff is like standing on the shallow end of a swimming pool with one foot in, one out. Bypasses the whole point.
I tried typing the real world but wouldn't post so I assumed it was because of that so censored it. But maybe it was just crappy internet connection.

Also, hope you are not referring to me in this comment as that would be pretty dumb considering I am just trying to explain what he might have meant. I have no reason to swear about Reason I don't get stressed about shit like this.

edit: Oh, looks like I can swear

Dante

21 May 2016

Chizmata wrote:ive tested the beta and my favourite feature is the new background color. there is literally no other change that makes a sense for me. the players are a joke, i dont know what they were thinking. have an excuse for charging you money? its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7 and a chord generator for people who cant press buttons themselves.
Well, gee - I didnt realise Reason 9 was so bad. Guess I wont order it now, and no one else should - so as to teach PH a lesson, and no-one will get all the updates they wanted :lol: :lol: :lol:

pjeudy

21 May 2016

Chizmata wrote: the players are a joke, i dont know what they were thinking. have an excuse for charging you money? its basically a second appregiator, a poop-simple delay that has a hard time competing with the ddl7.
I'm interested in this opinion, if you get some time, can you elaborate more on the players/Note echo?
What makes them weak, what's missing, on there promo video they looks cool but Propellerheads have great UI designers.
What are some of there limitations that we can't see from watching the video in your opinion.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information