Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 349
Miss Controllerism

20 May 2016

update tu have a ridicolout rack that make chords when i press a single note??

haha no this is for lazy players im very disappointed i believed in propellerhead but i had too much hype for reason 9

i really hope they come with a serious upgrade of malstrom or subtractor

or with a new synth with some granular options

with a combinator with 8 macro knob or a new better sampler

NONE OF THOSE THINGS so im disappoin ted

jjpscott01

20 May 2016

Without question...Yes.. The features they're adding in this version pretty much take care of any need I had for leaving Reason when writing music. I have a good feeling this upgrade will win over a lot of former users.
| REASON 12 | BITWIG 5 | CUBASE 13 | SSL2+ | AUDIENT ID4 | ERIS E5 MONITORS | ESP LTD TE-212 | MXL MICS | LES PAUL TRADITIONAL PRO II | NEKTAR T4 |[/color] :reason: :re: :PUF_balance: :refill:

Yonatan

21 May 2016

Agree...this will indeed attract more users to upgrade but also bridging the gap between app-users to join in and take it further. Rhe possibilities of the new midi player devices within Reason is huge! And it will surely make lot more people make music...which is exactly what PH have as one main vision. Allihoopa is also fitted into that vision (although I think it need to mature and also include more rights options and broaden the scope of collaboration options...then it will be a real hit!)

supalurker

21 May 2016

Cost isn't an issue for me but I probably will pass just like I did 8. I really want to upgrade but the lack of scaling on high res displays kills me. I know it may be petty but the only two things I have wanted for the last few years was a dark theme (finally) and proper scaling. Maybe next release.

buddard
RE Developer

21 May 2016

iramrezso wrote:One of my concerns is that PH goes out with these Players devices just after Autotheory, Step Note Recorder and other great sequencer REs. Isn't it a bit too late? I'm asking myself whether it worths to upgrade if one of the most important parts of the version 9 is this bunch of sort of replications? :)
We at Robotic Bean don't see the Players as a threat, but rather as a complement to our own sequencer devices. In fact, they've made our devices even more useful by giving us a way to render notes to track! There is some functional overlap, sure, but each device has its own focus and feature set.

CaptainBlack

21 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:
CaptainBlack wrote:Just bought an 8.3 upgrade for £85, so it's already better value that going from 7 to 8.
how did you manage to do that FOREX deal? i make it as a £100 upgrade for upstanding British citizens.
Google Shopping is your friend ;)

decibel

21 May 2016

CaptainBlack wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
CaptainBlack wrote:Just bought an 8.3 upgrade for £85, so it's already better value that going from 7 to 8.
how did you manage to do that FOREX deal? i make it as a £100 upgrade for upstanding British citizens.
as somebody else here mentioned earlier, go here
www.jrrshop.com
and apply the discount code "group" when going through the checkout and it ends up totaling up as $108 usd ;)

123repeater

21 May 2016

Upgrading from my long standing garage band and reason 5 tandem.... I'm so excited for a bunch of features they added already since 5. But I have never previously updated cause 5 can already do almost everything if you know how to tweak.

Yonatan

21 May 2016

After testing it hands on...YES! No hesitation being on R8.
R9 is among the most exciting releases yet (since bringing in the SSL/Audio and introducing RE)
These things will really improve creativity, as well as the production workflow.
Hope for an easy way to get video sync in Reason also...sooner or later.

The new tools are not just for those who know little about music,
these are great for sound creators of all kind as well as for those
who know a lot about music theory. One can do things not that
easily to do with a standard instruments or that one have not
yet thought about doing. It can break the habits.
And one still have to listen musically to get it right in the end.
Just that these opens up new doors for any producer/songwriter.

For all who want more editing, this version is really setting the stage
for more improvements in that field onward.

Earlier I found sequencer a bit confusing but now there´s a great structure
with "Slice edit", "Pitch edit" and "Comp edit" modes. Just love the way it is done.
And the GUI is just in my taste, just intuitive to use and fun. Great work by PH!

For me this version was a bit of a cross road...and PH shows
to be still in the game, better than ever. Keep the ship sailing!

There will be a creative boost in Reason community and lots of new tutorials I´m sure.
And more active users...which will surely bring the RE SDK expand and more developers.
Last edited by Yonatan on 21 May 2016, edited 4 times in total.

madmacman

21 May 2016

A definite YES! Bought my R8 Upgrade yesterday @my local dealer for a good price. Now waiting for release date in June ;)

CR68

21 May 2016

i was sill on r7 so i upgraded today to 8 and will get 9 for free. thats really great! ;-)

ljekio

21 May 2016

joeyluck wrote: You can come back and vote when you do ;)
Playing on electronic drums with new Arps like a bomb.
Perhaps I will soon make a choice. :)

ClassickHitz

21 May 2016

Upgrading to R9 from R7 makes this is an easy decision for me. Aside from the fact that I'll be getting a new sequencer (R8) I think the chord generator and Pitch correction is huge.

I'm not sure if many users truly understand how powerful the one button chord progression is going help in taking their production to the next level.

I can totally understand any mixed feelings for those that may be upgrading from R8. But I think the days of upgrading every release is pretty much gone when it comes to Reason since the introduction of REs.

In this case, skipping an upgrade release is going to pay off big dividends for me.

pjeudy

21 May 2016

No

**update** Yes
After more time with Scales and Chords and the fact that you can record the Chords to MIDI notes...means HOUSE MUSIC ALL NIGHT LONG !!!!
Last edited by pjeudy on 26 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Goriila Texas

21 May 2016

ClassickHitz wrote:Upgrading to R9 from R7 makes this is an easy decision for me. Aside from the fact that I'll be getting a new sequencer (R8) I think the chord generator and Pitch correction is huge.

I'm not sure if many users truly understand how powerful the one button chord progression is going help in taking their production to the next level.

I can totally understand any mixed feelings for those that may be upgrading from R8. But I think the days of upgrading every release is pretty much gone when it comes to Reason since the introduction of REs.

In this case, skipping an upgrade release is going to pay off big dividends for me.
I just don't see how you can make anything musical with the new chord thing because who makes music with just chords or just scales. Most people use all and invert to make musical compositions. How are you going to blend all of these elements into one melody? There's no way afaik to easily switch between scales and chords,so trying to do it with a mouse defeats the purpose and you might as well practise on real ivory imo.

I have no need for audio to midi in what way do people use it??

I could use the new bounce feature if you could bounce stereo to mono but you can't.

Don't sing so I don't need pitch correction.

The only thing I find remotely interesting is the new arp since I'm getting into more sound design,but that's not worth it to upgrade for me.

I do think it was a good choice for PH to bring in pitch correction though because most of the competitors have it. But I think a new sampler would have been a bigger hit but I guess if and when they make one it won't be free. I think markers,fader groups,different SSL's available,some form of PDC,clip launching blocks,bigger combi with more buttons and be able to assign all parameters for all Re and instruments/fx,updated legacy units,open up thor to all parameters,scalable instruments and piano roll etc... Nothing in Reason makes me want to actually want to mix in it,it's more of a plugin for me. But I can understand the excitement for those who will upgrade though.
Last edited by Goriila Texas on 21 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

esselfortium

21 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:But I think a new sampler would have been a bigger hit but I guess if and when they make one it won't be free.
This would be a pretty odd move, because selling the sampler separately from Reason itself would put a massive dent in the potential ReFill market.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

Goriila Texas

21 May 2016

esselfortium wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:But I think a new sampler would have been a bigger hit but I guess if and when they make one it won't be free.
This would be a pretty odd move, because selling the sampler separately from Reason itself would put a massive dent in the potential ReFill market.
I feel you but a new well built sampler will be a cash cow and just can't be free.

Alkua

21 May 2016

Skiping one version is not bad idea. If v9 doesn't have pitch edit I would've skip it.
Last edited by Alkua on 21 May 2016, edited 1 time in total.

The Real Deanc2000

21 May 2016

I probably will upgrade. I'm on 7 now, and the last time I tried to write a song, I attempted to edit one of my guitar takes to make it sound better. After about 15 minutes of cutting, moving things around, and creating fades, I got hit with "audio will change if you join".

This really discouraged me from continuing with Reason, so I started to use Reaper 5 a little bit, with Reason contributing sounds via Rewire.

This update has given me hope that I can do everything I need to do in Reason.

-Pitch edit. Huge.
-Note to track. Nice.
-New arpeggiators. Great.
-New Sounds? Well, Folks, don't we already have an embarrassment of riches with synths and sounds? How many synths are out there? Too many to count I think. Why do people keep asking for more and more synths?
-PDC? Not now, but I hope it'll arrive soon.

Dean.

DJDark2010

21 May 2016

Yes - they have catched me :)

I like the new version ... and will upgrade!!!!
If the new version is also so rockstable like the beta - holly shit yes,yes,yes!

zeebot

21 May 2016

CaptainBlack wrote:
zakalwe wrote:

Found the product, shipped physically it's £90.99 so you are only saving around £10 (current exchange rates 129euros=£99.77) personally would prefer to just DL it off the props site and install though with that purchase you do get a box and a disc if that's your thing?
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Noplan
Competition Winner

21 May 2016

I just don't see how you can make anything musical with the new chord thing because who makes music with just chords or just scales.
It's nice if you are on the road and can play with your notebook keyboard. Also my singer in my band can play around with this toy to come up with his own song ideas.

I felt in love with appregiators recently. they are very usefull to come up with random melodies wich you can copy to the sequencer and edit.

Here is a quick example using the rpg-8

ClassickHitz

21 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote:Upgrading to R9 from R7 makes this is an easy decision for me. Aside from the fact that I'll be getting a new sequencer (R8) I think the chord generator and Pitch correction is huge.

I just don't see how you can make anything musical with the new chord thing because who makes music with just chords or just scales. Most people use all and invert to make musical compositions. How are you going to blend all of these elements into one melody? There's no way afaik to easily switch between scales and chords,so trying to do it with a mouse defeats the purpose and you might as well practise on real ivory imo.

I have no need for audio to midi in what way do people use it??

I could use the new bounce feature if you could bounce stereo to mono but you can't.

Don't sing so I don't need pitch correction.

The only thing I find remotely interesting is the new arp since I'm getting into more sound design,but that's not worth it to upgrade for me.

I do think it was a good choice for PH to bring in pitch correction though because most of the competitors have it. But I think a new sampler would have been a bigger hit but I guess if and when they make one it won't be free. I think markers,fader groups,different SSL's available,some form of PDC,clip launching blocks,bigger combi with more buttons and be able to assign all parameters for all Re and instruments/fx,updated legacy units,open up thor to all parameters,scalable instruments and piano roll etc... Nothing in Reason makes me want to actually want to mix in it,it's more of a plugin for me. But I can understand the excitement for those who will upgrade though.
You assume that most people know chords and scales or even music theory at all which is a big mistake. This is where this tool comes in being a major asset.

You also indicated how you don't need audio to midi but clearly are not aware of it's potential benefits based on your inquiry of how to use it. It may be a good idea to get a full understanding before denouncing a thing imo.

If I may be totally candid, it really pained me personally not upgrading from R7-R8. Especially since I'd done none stop updates since version 2.5 without a single break in between. I even purchased Record. However I felt R8 brought absolutely nothing to the table of evolutionary substance that warranted a financial investment upgrade on my part. I even felt kind of intellectually slighted as if Props was trying to pawn off Drag&Drop as this tremendous thing worth $129US. I was flat-out angered at the audacity and for the lack of a better word just plain insulted. Couple that with the issues the first release came with and that cut it for me. I was done!

Now as we all know they addressed those things by update 8.3 but by that time I was already vested in Logic Pro X and rightfully so with absolutely no regrets. The interesting thing is some of what I've learned so far regarding the tools and features in Logic have actually been implemented in R9. Go figure!!

I'm not sure what version you are upgrading from but as I stated previously mixed emotions are definitely understandable. It's going to be in Props best interest to captivate their buying audience going forward if they truly look to retain consecutive release date customers.

That should be a number one priority because unlike myself there will be those who'll seek other options never to return.

• Information