Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 349
Goriila Texas

21 May 2016

Classic Hitz
You assume that most people know chords and scales or even music theory at all which is a big mistake. This is where this tool comes in being a major asset.
[/quote]

No I don't that's why I said you might want to practise on keys,I assume the person would buy a chord book like I did lol. I'm no where near being a pro piano player and can see this not really helping make melodies much. You still need to know theory to do chord progressions lol so how is this better than practise and buying a book???
You also indicated how you don't need audio to midi but clearly are not aware of it's potential benefits based on your inquiry of how to use it. It may be a good idea to get a full understanding before denouncing a thing imo.
Please read again I never said I don't know what audio to midi is,I said I have no use for it and wondered what practical reason why would you use it. Audio to midi has been in studio one for a while and I have played with it but has no uses in my workflow. Just like with any algorithm such as time stretch,pitch correction or transient detection,nothing is foolproof or perfect.

I'm on v7 and to each his own if they like v9 good for them,I'm not here to convince people to not upgrade just giving my reasons why I'm not.

CaptainBlack

21 May 2016

zeebot wrote:
CaptainBlack wrote:
zakalwe wrote:
CaptainBlack wrote:Just bought an 8.3 upgrade for £85, so it's already better value that going from 7 to 8.
how did you manage to do that FOREX deal? i make it as a £100 upgrade for upstanding British citizens.
Google Shopping is your friend ;)

Found the product, shipped physically it's £90.99 so you are only saving around £10 (current exchange rates 129euros=£99.77) personally would prefer to just DL it off the props site and install though with that purchase you do get a box and a disc if that's your thing?
Mine was £85 and no shipping charge. Didn't even bother with the DVD when it arrived, just entered the code and registered, then downloaded. You do get some stickers that say things like "This tool builds basslines" in the box, but as you say, it's not really a massive saving.

zeebot

21 May 2016

CaptainBlack wrote:
Mine was £85 and no shipping charge. Didn't even bother with the DVD when it arrived, just entered the code and registered, then downloaded. You do get some stickers that say things like "This tool builds basslines" in the box, but as you say, it's not really a massive saving.
Weird, must be a different place then? I was looking at the gear4music site. Can't find any free delivery. Cheapest I can knock it down to is £88.49 with 'supersaver delivery' which I'm guessing will take a while to be delivered. Still rather just do it on the props site instantly when I finally get the urge to update.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

16BitBear

21 May 2016

Yes, I will, but not immediately. Funds are always a bit limited for me so I will do so probably early in the fall. The pitch editing and Audio to MIDI features are the big draws for me.

Aquila

22 May 2016

DJBuddhaBear wrote:Yes, I will, but not immediately. Funds are always a bit limited for me so I will do so probably early in the fall. The pitch editing and Audio to MIDI features are the big draws for me.
Exactly the same situation here. I want to upgrade but won't be able to do it for some time.

Flandersh

22 May 2016

As it still has Record, I pass by this upgrade.

On the other hand, if Reason 8 had been without Record I think I would have passed on this upgrade too. In all the years I have had Melodyne Essential in Studio One I have never used it, and as such I do not see the need for a pitch corrector tool. The only time I have used a pitch corrector I think was 8-10 years ago for a song in Reason, and then I used the elastic one in Magix Music Studio. And for the other Player devices and so, which reminds me on midi-tools in other DAWs, I haven't used such tool neither, and I prefer my 60 year old harmonic slide rule in paper for that kind of work.

Ixus

22 May 2016

I will. Im not blown away by the update tho. Still, I love using Reason, and the update is probably worth it in my book :)

Creativemind

22 May 2016

For me it's got some good features but still can't honestly decide. At first as I was like, definitely but now I'm swaying.

The Dual Arpeggio I doubt I'd use that much, nor the Note Echo but the Scales and Chords definitely. Love that.
Pitch correction - yes, Audio to Midi - Yes.
Dark sequencer is good, but not as good as I thought, another couple of colours may have been useful and the blue hardly seems much different than the dark be honest.

I would've much preferred more professional music making features to make Reason more competitive in the professional industry like:-

All parameters and automation in dB and Hz respectively checkbox in preferences.
All windows Synch together regarding order, labelling, mute / solo in preferences.
Ganged / Linked Faders and clearer dB readings on the SSL.
An Undo Events List, Audiowarp, ADC and PDC and Freezing of Tracks, dragging audio and midi clips out of Reason and a few Midi Editing features like Muting / Unmuting of Notes within the clip, display the notes on the piano keys and notes, shaded rows when you add a note or press a midi controller key and a ghost clip behind the current one and editable etc.

Tempted just wait a few months see if there's gonna be any point updates which address workflow issues. Undo Events List, Ganged / Linked Faders, Audiowarp, Notepad, Muting / Un-Muting of Notes, shaded rows and a ghost clip in the Midi Editor are crucial work flow additions for me. Really important. I had an issue with a quiet sound yesterday (for the umpteenth time) and needed to turn the other faders down rather than increase the sound due to levels and just thought come on man, can't be that hard to implement surely. It would've been natural to me to have given us that when they gave us grouping of channels and parallel processing on the SSL in Reason 7. Bet Logic and Cubase have had this for years. I know Logic has had it since Pro 9 (it's pro X or 10 now for those who don't know) just googled it at Pro 9 came out in July 2009. So almost 7 years.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

22 May 2016

Noel G. wrote:
gak wrote:Will I upgrade?

Is the pope catholic?

Does a bear shit in the woods?
Is the pope catholic?
Not according to some Catholics.

Does a bear shit in the woods?
Not always. Sometimes in caves :puf_bigsmile:
I like the joke - 2 cartoon pictures. Pic 1 - a bear saying to the rabbit, "Does it bother you when poop sticks to your fur?". The rabbit replying, "No!". The next pic shows the bear wiping it's ass with the rabbit lol!

Creativemind

22 May 2016

Last Alternative wrote:There's some cool things so I'm gonna upgrade to stay current but I was hoping for a lot more. Such as major improvements to audio editing and automatic delay compensation, a few other things. I'll never understand why they do so little in a year's time.
Probably Amazon!

Creativemind

22 May 2016

joeyluck wrote:
ljekio wrote:No option for not decided yet :)
You can come back and vote when you do ;)
Yes, adding an 'Undecided' option, which is for me, would've been a good one here.

Now I can't vote 'cause neither option applies.

joeyluck

22 May 2016

Creativemind wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
ljekio wrote:No option for not decided yet :)
You can come back and vote when you do ;)
Yes, adding an 'Undecided' option, which is for me, would've been a good one here.

Now I can't vote 'cause neither option applies.
Yeah, but you can come back when you do decide, right?
Unless you plan to be undecided forever, then I can understand hehe

Creativemind

22 May 2016

S' pose so Joey. That's far too normal for me lol!

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

22 May 2016

Yes, but may madness destroyed my bugdet for entertainment.

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

Iapetus 9

22 May 2016

There was no option for 'not sure' so I didn't vote. I'm really not sure right now. I haven't been on the fence like this in a long while.

Something kinda struck me as odd. A great many of you have been saying that you've upgraded at every version since you started using Reason. Thing is, I think that everybody did until 6. I know I did, but back then an upgrade was an exciting moment with cool new features and synths. Things have kinda changed. I thought 8 was a joke, and nothing on my very short wish list was met in 9...so far.
38L > 51D every time.

aisling

23 May 2016

I've owned reason and upgraded religiously since ver 2. I'm sitting this one out for a while. Audio to midi is cool, as is the pitch edit. The other enhancements definitely have creative value but don't elicit an acute GAS flare up at this time. My musical creative process is shifting from bedroom production to more live band/jamming these days. Being so used to the creative flow and simplicity, reason always beat out ableton live in my production process, but this upgrade has me thinking about upgrading my live version instead at the moment. Maybe reason 9.5 or 10 will be more inspiring.

123repeater

23 May 2016

ClassickHitz wrote: I'm not sure if many users truly understand how powerful the one button chord progression is going help in taking their production to the next level.
I agree. My first instinct was "oh cool my degree in jazz was a waste of time.... but these tools still come down to what's in your head and just help you get there faster and through new methods.

Karim
Competition Winner

23 May 2016

Noel G. wrote:Sorry, I had to do it. This should be fun.
fck yeahhh!!!

Inviato dal mio GT-I9301I utilizzando Tapatalk
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3 + R12.x + IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

ClassickHitz

23 May 2016

123repeater wrote:
ClassickHitz wrote: I'm not sure if many users truly understand how powerful the one button chord progression is going help in taking their production to the next level.
I agree. My first instinct was "oh cool my degree in jazz was a waste of time.... but these tools still come down to what's in your head and just help you get there faster and through new methods.

Precisely! Should also help with writer's block, beat block, composer's block...

This feature along with pitch correction is worth more than what actually can be explained right now at the moment. But once the different demos and tutorials start rolling out everyone will see the big picture.

It's been a while since I've been excited about features in Reason. Plus a thousand new sounds to transform, can't wait.

fieldframe
RE Developer

23 May 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:
esselfortium wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:But I think a new sampler would have been a bigger hit but I guess if and when they make one it won't be free.
This would be a pretty odd move, because selling the sampler separately from Reason itself would put a massive dent in the potential ReFill market.
I feel you but a new well built sampler will be a cash cow and just can't be free.
I would posit that Reason already has a new sampler, and it's called the IDT. And if the likes of Hyrdonexius and Aeon sell well, IDT could indeed become a cash cow.

yeahright31

23 May 2016

So much yes. Upgrading from Reason 8.3

I'm liking the chords and scales, I did buy one of those chord generator thingies, but I often forget I have it.
I've got to remember right click and scroll to utilities then create a combinator and an instrument then pick the scale and often it don't wow me like it should.

To have the chords and scales in the sidebar and one click ready to go excites me.
Dual Arp - Well that's why I bought Lectric Panda - Korde Sequencer (Now i feel it's a bit to little to late to give me dual when I can have 8 stacked.
Maybe I can experiment, still fair few things that will make this update worth while.

Yonatan

24 May 2016

I think what peeps need and want for an upgrade is both some creative stuff and some workflow fixes as well as some new sounds to play with. When these three are combined in some proportion, majority of users think its exciting and inspiring.
R8 got a lot of lukewarm response because it only had one of these three categories. Amps merely replacements. Convolution brought in a creative boost so many did bite the apple. But PH could have those three pillars as a guide every upgrade. Creative tools, Workflow (including all those fine adjustments) and Sound ( could be an inbuilt instrument or aditions as Refill).

challism

24 May 2016

I'm on Reason 8. I don't see enough features to justify an upgrade to Reason 9, so I will hold out until Reason 10 or maybe 11 until I upgrade. Unless, of course they come out with some ridiculously sweet point updates like the RV7000 mk2 in 8.3
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Adreqi

24 May 2016

I'm on 8.3 and I'm considering upgrading, but I'll make my mind by trying the beta / the demo when i'll be able to. I'm curious about those 1000 sounds for instance... I'll vote later :D

OverneathTheSkyBridg

24 May 2016

I came from R5 and upgraded to 8 so that was a very worthwhile upgrade for me! But based on what I've seen so far I won't be making the upgrade splash, mostly cause the money I might have spent on that I blew during May Madness sale lol. The players look like something you can already find in the store in the form of an RE (Mercury by Quadelectra comes to mind). The pitch correction and audio to MIDI are definitely cool features but nothing I need at the moment. The darker themes are something that should have been implemented several versions back. All of my sampling needs and VST hosting are taken care of by my MPC Studio. So no, not this time.

• Information