Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

Will you upgrade to Reason 9?

Yes
77%
No
23%

Total votes: 349
The_G

31 May 2016

zakalwe wrote:
impact and mai tai in S1 are actually quite nice but when you can download the likes of synth1 for free it's not really an issue. the stock instruments in DAWs are usually pretty token because people expect you'll just throw down for komplete or buy something like serum. and all the new advanced PH synths in reason are extras now too so there's that to consider.
Logic's bundled synths are phenomenal.
zakalwe wrote: things i miss from reason are being able to envelope control filter banks from combinators if i don't like the ones on my sampler. but that sampler is NN-XT so it's kind of a thing i'd only bother with in reason anyway.
So you don't actually use Reason? I thought you said you used it via rewire.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

zakalwe

31 May 2016

The_G wrote:So you don't actually use Reason? I thought you said you used it via rewire.
i do sometimes but it's a bit of a pain to manage compared to VSTs and ironically one of the things i was really wanting in reason isn't supported by S1 (bezier curves for MIDI CC).

but i'm getting more and more into per clip stuff and just not needing wires or devices of any desciption. it's just a different workflow, you know?

pquenin

31 May 2016

Reason 9 is what Reason 8 should have been, the cumuled price for the 2 updates is too high.
The Reason updates are great but their price must be lowered (half the price).

Yonatan

01 Jun 2016

The tricky thing with Reason is that it is often like a song that just grows on you the more you listen to it (learn the many ways to use it).
I can think of so many ways to use both new Player devices as well as the vocal pitch editing, and new bouncing, and' the darker side of the moon' themes has creaped into me, making it quite hard not to upgrade. Beta testing makes one not willingly to freely go back to only R8.

The 20% not upgrading is quite good though because then PH has to try to make really good partial updates along the way, bringing in some candy for other types of user needs as well. So 80/20 looks like an optimal upgrade statistics.

aisling

01 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:The tricky thing with Reason is that it is often like a song that just grows on you the more you listen to it (learn the many ways to use it).
I can think of so many ways to use both new Player devices as well as the vocal pitch editing, and new bouncing, and' the darker side of the moon' themes has creaped into me, making it quite hard not to upgrade. Beta testing makes one not willingly to freely go back to only R8.

The 20% not upgrading is quite good though because then PH has to try to make really good partial updates along the way, bringing in some candy for other types of user needs as well. So 80/20 looks like an optimal upgrade statistics.
Or you look at it like a bell shaped curve and write off the 20% and focus on the the majority. I think the players are fantastically creative and inspiring, and I can't wait to see hear the live stream on the pitch edit, and possibly more offerings, but this is still a .5 release for me, and I can live without the shiny new players and such for quite awhile until some other offerings ignite my upgrade GAS.

boobytrap

02 Jun 2016

I think now it's time for free upgrades. Currently logic and FL does. Some other programs off one free major upgrade. Like reaper and renoise. Yesterday cakewalk soner offer free lifetime upgrades. Because some people not fully satisfied. At this point of time most of other softwares offer free upgrades like Windows. Adobe. I bet within 2 years evey DAW offer free upgrades. Eventually it happens.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

Yonatan

02 Jun 2016

Checked out Cakewalk Sonar and now they are on Mac too! That Win exlusive excluded that platform for me. But now things are changing...
Especially PH who make money on the RE market, could offer a better deal I think, especially being on latest version.

And Logic owned by Apple...

But FL and Cakewalk, how can they bring lifetime updates?

boobytrap

02 Jun 2016

Yonatan wrote:
But FL and Cakewalk, how can they bring lifetime updates?
Because they are in proper course. PH have to give this upgrade free and bill the players in shop. But without players this upgrade is nothing. If they do that. Anyone can buy these players. Even essential users. Think about this, if someone who new to music creation now and decide to buy a DAW, also care about the future upgrades cost. Why because some other DAW offer free at year 2016. Or free one . Reason I'm selling my SO2 license, I'm not satisfied with upgrade and cost 149. That's too much.

Gorgon

02 Jun 2016

boobytrap wrote:I think now it's time for free upgrades. Currently logic and FL does. Some other programs off one free major upgrade. Like reaper and renoise. Yesterday cakewalk soner offer free lifetime upgrades. Because some people not fully satisfied. At this point of time most of other softwares offer free upgrades like Windows. Adobe. I bet within 2 years evey DAW offer free upgrades. Eventually it happens.
And you're going to pay everyone's salary.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

zakalwe

02 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
boobytrap wrote:I think now it's time for free upgrades. Currently logic and FL does. Some other programs off one free major upgrade. Like reaper and renoise. Yesterday cakewalk soner offer free lifetime upgrades. Because some people not fully satisfied. At this point of time most of other softwares offer free upgrades like Windows. Adobe. I bet within 2 years evey DAW offer free upgrades. Eventually it happens.
it's a point though, they have an app ecosystem they're making bank on and they target new users especially with their marketing. if they put out free updates then RE devs could always target the latest SDK and they would have a better chance of retaining their customers

boobytrap

02 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
I don't wanna change the world. I'm stick with what I have.
But eventually it will happen. Mark my words. Personally I like to live in 80s forever.

boobytrap

02 Jun 2016

Remember there are 20 major DAWs and it's a competition. As reason my major DAW I like to see it grows better. I only care what I have.

sot

02 Jun 2016

i believe that "Bounce in place and themes" belong to a 8 version update, especially themes seems too much of a marketing trick to be 9 only,
as for free updates thats a whole different strategy that only proppellerhead can justify and i dont see it happening soon
(but it will be good if you have a discount only if you upgrade from the last previous version and full price for all other versions, then more people would upgrade to the last version faster but if the current system works pretty good financial then why change it, also the way it is now is a tradition thing after all these versions :) )
Last edited by sot on 02 Jun 2016, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: 10

Steedus
Competition Winner

02 Jun 2016

I've been away from Reason and Propellerhead for a while. I still run version 6.5. Every new version that's been announced since then I've decided to wait for the next one, expecting it'll grab me. But even after the announcement of 9 and considering I'd essentially be getting 3 versions of upgrade, I find I'm still kinda apathetic about it. I guess I'm just not in the game anymore these days.

I also feel a bit alienated from props now that I'm looking at them again. Are they still Propellerhead? What's all this social media stuff, and what's Allihoopa? Did they merge with another company? I've noticed Figure is now not listed as being developed by Propellerhead, but Allihoopa instead.

I still might come around, who knows some new toys and a fresh coat of paint might inspire me to make music again ..

CephaloPod

02 Jun 2016

Nope. I've been with Reason since 1.5, this is the first upgrade I will skip. My interest in these Player instruments is "meh." I can play my own chords. I don't mess with vocals much, and when I do, it's not in Reason, so don't care about the pitch correction stuff. The dark mode option should have been there long ago, I would definitely use that, but not worth $$$.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

taddx

02 Jun 2016

I was a bit sceptical at first when saw feature list but after messing around with Players for a while got sold totally. So much fun. That Melodyne style pitch editor is dope too, will upgrade straight away.

gak

06 Jun 2016

Again, I like reason so as a fanboi, almost likely.

But, as a realist, this is NOT what I was expecting feature wise. I expected MANY MANY MANY more workflow updates (no) and so far, unless I'm just weirdly mistaken, audio to midi is almost a total joke.

But, as a beta tester, there are quite some awesome stuff. The reason 9 soundbank has been redone. It's pretty gorgeous. Also, I'll use the players (not everyone will agree) and I'm a fanboi (so sue me!)

Yonatan

06 Jun 2016

More workflow enhancements I think we all want to see.

sled9e

07 Jun 2016

Yes, bought 7 and later upgraded for free to 8 . So now betatesting 9 and think it has enough upgrades to justify the buy(at least for me)

Bonkhead

07 Jun 2016

Funny, I remember when R8 came out, about 50% was upgrading, now it's almost 80%.

I would consider R9 a succes already, and i'm upgrading too from R7 aswell.

Yonatan

07 Jun 2016

One single little sound on any standard synth or rompler, together with one or more of the players...magic!
Just please make us bring in MP4-video-files so one can easy make sounds to video and visual stuff.

guitfnky

08 Jun 2016

lol @ the idea of free upgrades. that's why we're all rich musicians, after all; those of us who provide our music for free tend to have the highest music-related income, naturally. :lol:
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Revise

08 Jun 2016

I am going to stay on 8 for now, I am waiting on simple things like groups, linked mixer channels, and better editing. Big projects are hard to manage as it is now.

ryanharlin
Reason Studios

08 Jun 2016

Revise wrote:I am waiting on simple things like groups
Boy do I have 33.333% good news for you! ;)

Revise

08 Jun 2016

ryanharlin wrote:
Revise wrote:I am waiting on simple things like groups
Boy do I have 33.333% good news for you! ;)
Really? In this release or in the future?

• Information