Combinator MK2

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
lofi1990

16 Jun 2016

....aaaaand

You would be able to put the newly created device into a combinator

lofi1990

16 Jun 2016

Not going too overboard and sticking to the basic concept of a combinator, delora software makes something cal Ctrls for rstouch http://www.delora.com/products/rstouch/ ... 328481.png

Scroll to the bottom of the page to see what I'm talking about

jam-s

16 Jun 2016

Emian wrote:i'd like to see 8 knobs, 8 FADERS (to control AMP & Filter Envelopes of multiple synths) & 8 buttons.

Triple 8 sounds quite doable to me :)
8 faders/knobs/buttons is also what quite a lot of hardware keyboards and midi interfaces have. So it would be perfect for mapping.

EdGrip

16 Jun 2016

Combinombinatorator.
Last edited by EdGrip on 16 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

RandomSkratch

16 Jun 2016

lofi1990 wrote:Just brain storming here, but what if there was a separate "no coding" program/interface that offered near unlimited possibilities for creating instruments, effects, utilities and players? Oscs, lfos, filters, pattern sequencers, etc - a completely modular environment.

For example, you would be able to create an entirely new synth based on "modules" under the hood. Users would only be able to access the the source and modify only if they owned a license for this editor.

Reason users would only see the surface of the devices.
One could argue that this is already what Reason and the Combinator accomplishes. You can use bits and pieces of any device to create a larger device, the only thing is you need to use the full device and not just a part of it (which is what I'm guessing you're envisioning).

Emian

16 Jun 2016

jam-s wrote:
Emian wrote:i'd like to see 8 knobs, 8 FADERS (to control AMP & Filter Envelopes of multiple synths) & 8 buttons.

Triple 8 sounds quite doable to me :)
8 faders/knobs/buttons is also what quite a lot of hardware keyboards and midi interfaces have. So it would be perfect for mapping.
exactly ;)

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

bitley

16 Jun 2016

Hi guys!

I think many of the things requested here can be solved with intellegent programming and graphics.

For instance I made this for the Poly X3M refill; each of the four knobs lets you fade seamlessly between 8 instruments. Some of the combinators in the refill have different labels and functions, matching the patches.

I don't think the number of knobs and buttons is a limit, often I only need four or five "highlighted functions" but I work hard to come up with good functions for the remaining knobs / buttons. The one who needs more control can simply just open up the Pandoras' combinator and start editing away.

What I would love though is a selection of combinators where the design of the basic components could be altered, ie other displays, other knobs, other buttons, perhaps different placements of those objects; I don't know how that would be implemented but it would be very nice being able to alter the look even more than now. Designing background graphics is fun though and it's something I dedicate a lot of time and effort with.

RandomSkratch

16 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Hi guys!

I think many of the things requested here can be solved with intellegent programming and graphics.

For instance I made this for the Poly X3M refill; each of the four knobs lets you fade seamlessly between 8 instruments. Some of the combinators in the refill have different labels and functions, matching the patches.

I don't think the number of knobs and buttons is a limit, often I only need four or five "highlighted functions" but I work hard to come up with good functions for the remaining knobs / buttons. The one who needs more control can simply just open up the Pandoras' combinator and start editing away.

What I would love though is a selection of combinators where the design of the basic components could be altered, ie other displays, other knobs, other buttons, perhaps different placements of those objects; I don't know how that would be implemented but it would be very nice being able to alter the look even more than now. Designing background graphics is fun though and it's something I dedicate a lot of time and effort with.
So a Combinator with a modular front panel? 8 slots total but do you want 8 knobs? 8 buttons? Your choice...A display that could show different text when pressing buttons?

lofi1990

16 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Hi guys!

Bitley: I recently purchased your fairlight refill and I am very happy with your combinator design choices. Looks good, sounds good.

lofi1990

16 Jun 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:
lofi1990 wrote:Just brain storming here, but what if there was a separate "no coding" program/interface that offered near unlimited possibilities for creating instruments, effects, utilities and players? Oscs, lfos, filters, pattern sequencers, etc - a completely modular environment.

For example, you would be able to create an entirely new synth based on "modules" under the hood. Users would only be able to access the the source and modify only if they owned a license for this editor.

One could argue that this is already what Reason and the Combinator accomplishes. You can use bits and pieces of any device to create a larger device, the only thing is you need to use the full device and not just a part of it (which is what I'm guessing you're envisioning).
Yeah and the way I'm thinking would be more like a graphical/no coding approach to the IDK/SDK

Instead of using entire reason devices, you would build your own devices from pieces like lfos, oscs, filters, sequencers, etc.

But instead of making reason more complex and less user friendly, make a separate program/designer for people who like to make instruments for reason.

RandomSkratch

16 Jun 2016

lofi1990 wrote:
Yeah and the way I'm thinking would be more like a graphical/no coding approach to the IDK/SDK

Instead of using entire reason devices, you would build your own devices from pieces like lfos, oscs, filters, sequencers, etc.

But instead of making reason more complex and less user friendly, make a separate program/designer for people who like to make instruments for reason.
So Reaktor for Reason? Could definitely open the door for the creative types who lack programming skills like you mentioned.

bitley

16 Jun 2016

lofi1990 wrote:Bitley: I recently purchased your fairlight refill and I am very happy with your combinator design choices. Looks good, sounds good.
Awesome! :) Thanks a lot!

bitley

16 Jun 2016

lofi1990 wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:

Absolutely, these are very cool ideas, I have been thinking along similar lines. So much could be done. The limited refill packer of today should be expanded with lots of improvements. Such as a settings view where you could point out sample folders and this would "teach" all the patches in the refill where the samples were. Today you have to do this manually patch by patch...

8cros

16 Jun 2016

This method, when a shortage of controllers. + 4 knobs.

I replaced BV512 on RPG-8, so much easier.
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

bitley

17 Jun 2016

Perhaps show the backside & programming of this so it's easier to understand :)

RandomSkratch

17 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:This method, when a shortage of controllers. + 4 knobs.

8cros

17 Jun 2016

bitley™ wrote:Perhaps show the backside & programming of this so it's easier to understand :)
It is Hold and switcher. More options for control without opening combi.
Check the patch, I often make a nuisance faults and mistakes inadvertently.
It's definitely a little bit confusing the way, but is available right now.
Attachments
Glob ctrl.zip
(1.29 KiB) Downloaded 67 times
REASON RESONANCES

Loque

17 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:This method, when a shortage of controllers. + 4 knobs.

Interesting idea, but theres a free RE providing 8 rotaries.
Reason12, Win10

8cros

17 Jun 2016

Loque wrote: Interesting idea, but theres a free RE providing 8 rotaries.
I'm a fan of CV plugins. But is it possible to understand me? I prefer to look under the hood only in the workshop. Some patches have more than a hundred instruments inside. They are similar to soccer fields. And it's not always convenient to track the creation, control multiple such devices. They have to be folded.
REASON RESONANCES

OverneathTheSkyBridg

17 Jun 2016

Id like to add that for Combinator buttons it would be nice to have more than two options in the programmer. It would be nice to flip through a 5 or 6 multimode filter type for example rather than being stuck choosing between two.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Raveshaper

17 Jun 2016

While it isn't perfect, I do think that the limitations of the combinator will become less of an issue soon.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

RandomSkratch

17 Jun 2016

Raveshaper wrote:While it isn't perfect, I do think that the limitations of the combinator will become less of an issue soon.
DUN Dun duhhhhhhhnnnnnnn....

Raveshaper

17 Jun 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:DUN Dun duhhhhhhhnnnnnnn....
It's about as dramatic a thing to say as "I can see more when I look out the window instead of looking at the wall."

What I meant was that there will be more robust options available for people who have disliked the limitations of the combinator.
The issue will shift away from the combinator and toward whether to use the combinator or not.
Of course, this is only my opinion. I could be completely wrong.
(I have been wrong many times, and will be wrong many times again)

RandomSkratch

17 Jun 2016

Raveshaper wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:DUN Dun duhhhhhhhnnnnnnn....
It's about as dramatic a thing to say as "I can see more when I look out the window instead of looking at the wall."

What I meant was that there will be more robust options available for people who have disliked the limitations of the combinator.
The issue will shift away from the combinator and toward whether to use the combinator or not.
Of course, this is only my opinion. I could be completely wrong.
(I have been wrong many times, and will be wrong many times again)
Do you have a beta version that's different than the rest of us? Haha. Others than the RV9000 have any other units been modified or revamped? Nothing seems to be changed or phased out ever as there's always a use for everything. And given the state of software development your guess is probably correct. Eventually there will be something bigger and more capable than the Combinator.

Raveshaper

17 Jun 2016

RandomSkratch wrote:Do you have a beta version that's different than the rest of us?
Not of Reason 9, but yes. I've been too busy to get in on the R9 beta, but only because I've been building a beta of my own.

I think that given enough time, eventually all things in Reason will get upgraded and there will come a time when necessary advancements establish a tipping point where everything before then is considered "legacy" and everything after is considered "modern". Right now it's all about backwards compatibility, but that paints the future into a corner eventually. That's why so many things like Combinator Mk2 haven't arrived yet. It would break what came before. In a weird way, insisting on backwards compatibility is interchangeable with insisting that yesterday is tomorrow. I like being able to use older projects in current versions, but I wish there was a way to process old files and translate them into new devices of a more updated Reason version than we currently have. Conversion and translation from the old to the new seems a smarter way of doing things, but I know how much of a nightmare that would be to program.

I'm getting off track.
Yes, I'm testing something right now. It's going to be incredible to demo once I have the means to showcase it.
I'm kind of excited about it but I'm trying to keep my annoying behavior to a minimum.

• Information