Requiring a restart to change themes is kinda lame.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Goriila Texas

21 Jun 2016

I think this is the only DAW that I use where you need a restart to change themes. Kinda ticked a little that I had to restart Reason 3 times just to see two colors.

decibel

22 Jun 2016

would be good if you could just flick a switch while working on a tune and go from day mode to night mode etc, instead of having to shut down and restart eh

Grooq

22 Jun 2016

you must be kidding, this can't be serious

Adreqi

22 Jun 2016

It's unconvenient indeed, but I think there are not enough themes to justify an on-the-fly switch. I stick to dark theme, suits me well in all cases.

Last Alternative

22 Jun 2016

You gotta be kidding me. I swear PH usually half-asses everything. I guess they thought having to restart Reason for different themes is good for workflow. They're always talking about workflow.. but they like to wreck it too in many ways.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

decibel

22 Jun 2016

i'll just be leaving it on blue theme, same as the reasontalk theme ive stuck with since way back, works for me whether its night or day :)

16BitBear

22 Jun 2016

Last Alternative wrote:You gotta be kidding me. I swear PH usually half-asses everything. I guess they thought having to restart Reason for different themes is good for workflow. They're always talking about workflow.. but they like to wreck it too in many ways.
Well usually the last thing I am thinking about if I am in the groove of a workflow is, hey, I think I will change my theme from Blue to Black. :lol:

Last Alternative

22 Jun 2016

But imagine you had to restart your phone just to try different themes. And music sets mood as does the theme while you're writing so yes I would say it interrupts workflow. I've never seen any other program that makes you restart for that and I agree with the OP. It is lame but leave it to PH to half-ass things. Like how the mixer is always white no matter the theme. If you like it that way then cool.
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

Faastwalker

22 Jun 2016

How often do you expect to change themes?!

Goriila Texas

22 Jun 2016

It's not a big issue but I do feel it's unnecessary. Most DAWs only make you restart when changing sample rate. How does changing colors require a reboot?

madmacman

22 Jun 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:It's not a big issue but I do feel it's unnecessary. Most DAWs only make you restart when changing sample rate. How does changing colors require a reboot?
My guess (from a developer perspective): "Applying themes" takes place during the startup code of Reason - which cannot be called at a later stage while the program is running. Maybe the complete init stage consists of "private" functions only - not accessible from other parts of the code.

Last Alternative

22 Jun 2016

It's really not a big deal to me. But it is silly.

Loque

22 Jun 2016

Agree. But before tgey spend 1 more month for it, i dont care.
Reason12, Win10

orthodox
RE Developer

22 Jun 2016

It is just a question of developr resource saving. They sure were able to implement a redraw, it would just probably require a considerable rewrite of code. For instance, if the widget initialization code was written in assumption that it would run only once at the start, and it is inextricably mixed with the reset of all parameters.
The solution they chose just provides the requested feature. And I am happy with that.

Gorgon

22 Jun 2016

Last Alternative wrote:You gotta be kidding me. I swear PH usually half-asses everything. I guess they thought having to restart Reason for different themes is good for workflow. They're always talking about workflow.. but they like to wreck it too in many ways.
How is changing a theme part of your workflow?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Last Alternative

22 Jun 2016

Gorgon wrote:
See above. This was already covered.

miscend

22 Jun 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:It's not a big issue but I do feel it's unnecessary. Most DAWs only make you restart when changing sample rate. How does changing colors require a reboot?
At least you don't need to restart to do that in Reason.
Last edited by miscend on 22 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Vyckeil

22 Jun 2016

It's not really a big deal, but it's an indication that PH needs to completely revamp the graphics engine of Reason. Needing to reboot just to change color is a massive indication of how old the engine is. What do you think will happen to the rack when 4K resolution starts to become common? They can't just keep piling features on top of old code forever.

Gorgon

22 Jun 2016

Last Alternative wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
See above. This was already covered.
Are you seriously suggesting that you would change your theme according to the type of music you're making at the time?

Come to think of it, it would be a cool feature if the theme would do that by itself. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Exowildebeest

22 Jun 2016

First world problems :lol:

cjb123

22 Jun 2016

First world problems... but with a blue theme! :x

tibah

22 Jun 2016

I like the part where the thread got taken over by animal avatars. ;)

guitfnky

22 Jun 2016

I can't believe this is what we're complaining about now.

I mean I can, but really, I can't. :(
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Last Alternative

22 Jun 2016

Hey, now. I said it's silly but not a big deal. But think if we had more themes: you open Reason not knowing what to do yet, looking for inspiration. So you start playing with stuff and have a cool idea; the blue theme helps you with the mood of the tune but things change--as you write more, the mood changes & you're not feeling blue theme anymore; no! Now while writing and inspired you want to change to "dark" or "desert" or "red" or "_____" in order to feel it in the moment while groovin but.... DENIED! Now your workflow is wrecked!
Themes to me are no different than colors. I often change instrument colors until they fit the vibe. It mentally helps take me to that place like many peeps, no doubt.
Sure, I wouldn't change themes constantly but it would be nice for my example scenario.

pjeudy

22 Jun 2016

Having to restart Reason just to apply a new theme is wack ! That doesn't mean that it's the biGgest problem of all times in REASON...it's just means that ...well...it's wack.
I'm sure it's that way because of how REASON is built...things are sometimes clunky in REASON. C'est la vie !
Last edited by pjeudy on 23 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

• Information