Requiring a restart to change themes is kinda lame.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

22 Jun 2016

Last Alternative wrote:You gotta be kidding me. I swear PH usually half-asses everything. I guess they thought having to restart Reason for different themes is good for workflow. They're always talking about workflow.. but they like to wreck it too in many ways.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Propellerhead half-asses everything. They half assed the Spectrum EQ when they introduced that in Reason 7 by not making the EQ itself automatable, making multi openable at once, giving it a border and making it scalable, also it has latency I've heard.

They could've given us more needed Main Mixer features in Reason 7 along with parallel processing and grouping of channels, they should've given us ganged / linked faders and clear db / width and panning value readings on the channels and the master channel too. They should've put a gain knob on the updated mixer channel in the rack in Reason 7 as well, and given us a keyboard shortcut to make a mix channel in the rack and multiple mix channels creatable at once (probably 10) from eithin the utilities menu as well.

Loads of things. Workflow, browser and drag and drop stuff they should've implemented in Reason 8, and of course Polyphonic Audio to Midi, Polyphonic Bounce to Midi and changing the themes without restarting.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

satyr32

22 Jun 2016

I heard most of the programmers are busy working on Combinator Mk2 that is why they had not enough man power for implenteing themes properly. At least that is what I hope.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

kuhliloach

22 Jun 2016

This half-baked feature causing the need for a re-start is no surprise. I appreciate the decision to leave it in! It would have been safer to ditch the feature for now, to avoid this backlash, yet they chose to let us have it in this form.

I'd go as far as saying none of the color themes, including "original" flavor, are incredibly well-designed or consistent. They are all OK and need work. The most exciting idea to me is that one day we might have user-skinnable everything in Reason. Let's hear it for the funk.

Exowildebeest

22 Jun 2016

Creativemind wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:You gotta be kidding me. I swear PH usually half-asses everything. I guess they thought having to restart Reason for different themes is good for workflow. They're always talking about workflow.. but they like to wreck it too in many ways.
I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thinks Propellerhead half-asses everything. They half assed the Spectrum EQ when they introduced that in Reason 7 by not making the EQ itself automatable, making multi openable at once, giving it a border and making it scalable, also it has latency I've heard.
Uhm...? The spectrum EQ is automatable, it is scalable, and it has no latency, afaik.

joeyluck

22 Jun 2016

Exowildebeest wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
Uhm...? The spectrum EQ is automatable, it is scalable, and it has no latency, afaik.
And no latency on my end... So I've heard :D

gak

22 Jun 2016

Goriila Texas wrote:I think this is the only DAW that I use where you need a restart to change themes. Kinda ticked a little that I had to restart Reason 3 times just to see two colors.
Well, they had to save something for reason 10 in about 19 months.

madmacman

23 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:If they make changing themes immediate, next thing you know, Reason users will want to automate it. :geek:
GREAT! :thumbs_up: And please more colors (the full rainbow color set) - then we have a fully programmable light show along with our songs!

Creativemind

23 Jun 2016

Exowildebeest wrote: Uhm...? The spectrum EQ is automatable, it is scalable, and it has no latency, afaik.
And no latency on my end... So I've heard :D[/quote]

Just checked in Reason 8 and 9, the Spectrum EQ is not automatable. The parameters on the SSL Main Mixer that the spectrum EQ operates are obviously automatable but not via the Spectrum EQ itself.

Oh yeah, I sit (not standing at present lol!) corrected. The Spectrum EQ is scalable. You can't open multiple at once though, which someone said to me is very much needed cause you need to compare tracks sometimes, spectrum-wise. It does also need a border, looks unfinished to me.

zeebot

23 Jun 2016

I really don't think a restart is that much of a hassle is it? not unless you want to change the theme every 5 minutes.
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

evolve187

23 Jun 2016

joeyluck wrote:
Exowildebeest wrote: Uhm...? The spectrum EQ is automatable, it is scalable, and it has no latency, afaik.
And no latency on my end... So I've heard :D
Just checked in Reason 8 and 9, the Spectrum EQ is not automatable. The parameters on the SSL Main Mixer that the spectrum EQ operates are obviously automatable but not via the Spectrum EQ itself.

Oh yeah, I sit (not standing at present lol!) corrected. The Spectrum EQ is scalable. You can't open multiple at once though, which someone said to me is very much needed cause you need to compare tracks sometimes, spectrum-wise. It does also need a border, looks unfinished to me.[/quote]

Agreed, it is kinda half assed to not have the spectrum EQ automatable directly from the Spectrum itself....i wanna just right click that sucker and automate it instead of having to go to the mixer.

There is always the Spektrum RE - Which you can also have multiple instances open at once which i find very handy when comparing to sounds
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message, however, a significant number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

https://soundcloud.com/terry-wilson-music

Creativemind

23 Jun 2016

gak wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:I think this is the only DAW that I use where you need a restart to change themes. Kinda ticked a little that I had to restart Reason 3 times just to see two colors.
Well, they had to save something for reason 10 in about 19 months.
I just want to use Reason as my one and only daw. To do this (I've just counted lol!) it would need 35 features for me, many of which could've been implemented in different versions before now and would've been obvious to me as they tie in with other features given at the time.

If we get 3 updates with this 9 version and the same with 10, so a 9.1, 9.2 and 9.3 and 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and they are as good as the 3 point versions with 8, I might, and that's a big might just have Reason where I want it by Reason 10.3 which will be about 2018. Zzzzzzzz!

orthodox
RE Developer

23 Jun 2016

evolve187 wrote:
Creativemind wrote:Just checked in Reason 8 and 9, the Spectrum EQ is not automatable. The parameters on the SSL Main Mixer that the spectrum EQ operates are obviously automatable but not via the Spectrum EQ itself..
Agreed, it is kinda half assed to not have the spectrum EQ automatable directly from the Spectrum itself....i wanna just right click that sucker and automate it instead of having to go to the mixer.
I create track for mix channel, open spectrum EQ, press record and start dragging points in spectrum window - and it is recorded.
What do you mean by automatable?

Gorgon

23 Jun 2016

eq.png
eq.png (525.28 KiB) Viewed 1925 times
lolwut?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Creativemind

23 Jun 2016

I just tried it. Opened a Thor, pressed record, moved the points on the Spectrum EQ. Nothing happened (recorded automation wise) in the sequencer?

Also, the Spectrum EQ, when you right click any of the coloured dots, the Edit Automation / Edit Override box doesn't show.

Creativemind

23 Jun 2016

zeebot wrote:I really don't think a restart is that much of a hassle is it? not unless you want to change the theme every 5 minutes.
Depends how impatient you are. Lol!

If you're wanting to change theme (on a Windows comp) - you have to click Edit - Preferences, click the Arrow to Select Theme then select it, then Close that menu, then Close Reason, (maybe Save Project and all that as well) then go through all the stuff to load Reason back up again including logging / signing in etc. Not much though lol!

zeebot

23 Jun 2016

Creativemind wrote:
Depends how impatient you are. Lol!

If you're wanting to change theme (on a Windows comp) - you have to click Edit - Preferences, click the Arrow to Select Theme then select it, then Close that menu, then Close Reason, (maybe Save Project and all that as well) then go through all the stuff to load Reason back up again including logging / signing in etc. Not much though lol!
Yeah I guess it's down to each individual. It's not much hassle for me as I have my PC registered so no logging in so I just go to the themes and pick one, close it down and restart and I'm back in within seconds but I'm also old school and remember the days of loading a single sample onto an Atari, now that was a pain in the arse! :puf_unhappy:
I have embraced Allihoopa. Come listen and play with my crap Figure loops here:
https://allihoopa.com/zeebot

They really are crap.

Gorgon

23 Jun 2016

Creativemind wrote:I just tried it. Opened a Thor, pressed record, moved the points on the Spectrum EQ. Nothing happened (recorded automation wise) in the sequencer?

Also, the Spectrum EQ, when you right click any of the coloured dots, the Edit Automation / Edit Override box doesn't show.
The EQ is part of the mix channel. You should select the mix channel for recording. Duh.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

gak

23 Jun 2016

Restart for me is nearly instantaneous. It's not the point, it's that IF they are going to make the damn thing seq/arrange only, then at least throw us a bone.

BombsandBottles

23 Jun 2016

Whether it's a "big deal" or not is irrelevant. It's lame to have to restart to change the theme in 2016.

orthodox
RE Developer

24 Jun 2016

In return, it reduces executable size, chances for a bug, working hours and costs. I would prefer that they save their time for more important features.

Noplan
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2016

4554206.jpg
4554206.jpg (47.06 KiB) Viewed 1881 times

Ostermilk

24 Jun 2016

Shit, I still have to double click the Reason icon on the Desktop to get it to open.

I know there's a workaround by using the Windows mouse prefs for a single click to work but I would have thought in the 21st century Reason would just understand what I want from it.

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2016

Wait wait wait just a thought!

If we could change themes at will it might actually distract us from making music by us obsessing over colour schemes to create the perfect inspirational mood based on some internet article we read about different colours will helping us be more creative.

So maybe, just maybe having to restart to change themes is actually improves workflow #plottwist-and-a-half

zabukowski

24 Jun 2016

From a programmers perspective, strictly tehnical stuff:

Changing colour scheme/skin without restart requires:

1. proper deallocating of all resources related to colour scheme/skin/GUI (this may be very tricky operation, depending how program is designed, many bugs can be caused by this)

2. allocating and loading new skin

By restarting program, colour scheme/skin/GUI elements are allocated and loaded at program startup as usual. Much safer.

At the end, it really depends on program design.

• Information