Players and sequencer track

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
electrofux

24 Jun 2016

Is it true that if you create a sequencer track for a Player connected to an instrument and select it. Notes input are not forwarded to the Instrument?
So the only way to play an instrument and remote control a palyer is by remote overriding or locking a second controller?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2016

Remote override won't work but locking a second controller will work of course or you could that or put them in a combinator and map the Rotary knobs \ buttons to the players, yes you are limited to 4 knobs \ buttons which for the Note Echo and Chords sort of works OK, the arpeggio has a lot more controls...

electrofux

24 Jun 2016

Yeah, but i see this as a workflow barrier and am going to suggest a change in remote. Just wanted to make sure i got it right before laying it out.

I think Reason would profit from being able to play instruments while controlling a Player or connected FX in a quick one button action.

iramrezso

24 Jun 2016

electrofux wrote:Yeah, but i see this as a workflow barrier and am going to suggest a change in remote. Just wanted to make sure i got it right before laying it out.

I think Reason would profit from being able to play instruments while controlling a Player or connected FX in a quick one button action.
I've recently pushed a suggestion to PH in this topic, too :) But go ahead, more requests more attention ;)
I'd like to have the option of dedicating a controller to be automatically locked to the selected device in Rack view (or to the selected track in Transport view). This way we would have a controller that immediately adapts the device by only a single click among the devices in Rack view (the navigation also works by arrow keys).

electrofux

24 Jun 2016

iramrezso wrote:
electrofux wrote:Yeah, but i see this as a workflow barrier and am going to suggest a change in remote. Just wanted to make sure i got it right before laying it out.

I've recently pushed a suggestion to PH in this topic, too :) But go ahead, more requests more attention ;)
I'd like to have the option of dedicating a controller to be automatically locked to the selected device in Rack view (or to the selected track in Transport view). This way we would have a controller that immediately adapts the device by only a single click among the devices in Rack view (the navigation also works by arrow keys).
Exactly what i am going to suggest. They either need to have a dedicated Rack Controller or separate the Keyboad and Controller section of Remote.

I think if they would separate the Keyboard Scope to follow the selected track and the Devices Scopes to follow the selected Rack device and then add the option that the selected Rack device follows the selected track on Selection, then without changes to any Remote codec you would be able to explore the Rack area around your instrument in a convenient way or have it work like before.
Last edited by electrofux on 24 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

24 Jun 2016

And if anyone also wants to be able to just hit a button and be able to control an FX or Player attached to an instrument while still playing the instrument. Please voice up.

tiker01

24 Jun 2016

Can't you access Players via remote when the instrument is selected?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

electrofux

24 Jun 2016

tiker01 wrote:Can't you access Players via remote when the instrument is selected?
Nope to play an instrument and get a Remote connection you select the instruments sequencer track and then you cant control the Player (only by locking a different controller to it).

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

24 Jun 2016

electrofux wrote: I think if they would separate the Keyboard Scope to follow the selected track and the Devices Scopes to follow the selected Rack device and then add the option that the selected Rack device follows the selected track on Selection.
That's a good idea.

Another workaround, I have set my P4 to Bus A and locked that to my instrument, then select the "Player" I want to control as normal, now I can play my instrument and control the player at the same time from the same keyboard...

Raveshaper

24 Jun 2016

I can see I need to hurry. If they change to Remote2 or something, all my work will be dead past R8.

Personally, I think it would be nice if there was that "Combinator 2" device people have wanted for a while and the Players would be folding panels inside of that. I'm nearing the stage where I add in support for all of the official Propellerhead RE units and the new R9 device types, so it's good to know this will help ease some of the burden with the new Players. It will be interesting to see what can be done once routing is unlocked for those.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

electrofux

25 Jun 2016

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
electrofux wrote: I think if they would separate the Keyboard Scope to follow the selected track and the Devices Scopes to follow the selected Rack device and then add the option that the selected Rack device follows the selected track on Selection.
That's a good idea.

Another workaround, I have set my P4 to Bus A and locked that to my instrument, then select the "Player" I want to control as normal, now I can play my instrument and control the player at the same time from the same keyboard...
Thats a good idea. Only things is there is no feedback over the Midi Bus and you cannot record.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2016

electrofux wrote:
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
That's a good idea.

Thats a good idea. Only things is there is no feedback over the Midi Bus and you cannot record.
Got it working, workaround 462564365544
From the Control Surfaces tab:-
Add, other, Midi Keyboard (No Controls), Midi Input (I selected "Panorama P4").

I then can lock that surface controller to Instrument and select the player as normal.
Record now records the midi to the instrument and from player :)

I still think your idea is brill and that is how it should be implemented.

• Information