MClass EQ Shelfes

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
8cros

25 Jun 2016

selig wrote:
8cros wrote:
selig wrote:
8cros wrote:For high shelf 18dB at 11.51 kHz ~ -18db on 4.031 kHz.
A more accurate value is at -12 / + 12 dB, it is equal to an octave.

This means that there is a trivial oversight equal to the value of one octave.
I am surprised how few people take advantage of this equalizer. What is not interesting to anyone else? I write all this because this equalizer - my favorite device.

Please, correct his mistakes.
I'm not following you in this post - I have more questions than answers!

How is 12 dB equal to an octave? Did you mean to say 12 semitones is equal to an octave, or something else?

How few people take advantage of this equalizer (I didn't see any numbers quoted)?

Please correct "who's" mistakes?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I will try to formulate again:

The amount of horizontal displacement curve chart when changing the gain from -12 to + 12dB equals X2. What corresponds to the interval octave. There is no question of semitones, it's not funny.

I do tilt equalizer to change the "color" spectrum. As well as pre / post EQ mirror symmetrically to the combination. They should compensate for each other. This is absolutely necessary. This is not a task that is able to handle SSL.
Still not following - a 6 dB change is 2x level. Octaves and decibels have no relationship that I'm aware of - unless you're talking about the first harmonic vs the second, which is an octave but which is 6 dB lower. So I can think of no situation where -12 to + 12dB equals X2, nor one where it corresponds to the "internal" octave (what is an internal octave?).

And -12 to +12 dB = 24 dB total.

I'm not trying to be funny by mentioning semitones, it's only my trying to make sense of your use of the word "Octave" in the context of decibels.

Maybe it's a language barrier - do you have links explaining how you're using the term "Octave" here?
:)
Yes, I attached a video with a demonstration of one of the details of their design mastering combi.

Frequency setting for gain value - 12dB equals 4800 Hz;
Frequency setting for gain value + 12dB equals 9600 Hz.

The difference between F1 and F2= 4.8:9.6 kHz = 1:2 = 1 octave.
Yes, this is the language barrier.
I do not have the ability to use RE in their work, because I make a standard patch.

To be honest, I was a bit tired trying to explain the feature of the equalizer error. :puf_unhappy:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

swamptooth

25 Jun 2016

I think he's trying to say that a filter with a 12db/Oct cut should be with cutoff set to 1047hz the sound should be 12db lower an octave up at 2094hz. X2 I'm not following either as decibels are logarithmic in scale.
It still is more complicated than the simplest lowpass filter. https://ccrma.stanford.edu/~jos/fp/Defi ... _Pass.html :mrgreen:
Last edited by swamptooth on 25 Jun 2016, edited 1 time in total.

8cros

25 Jun 2016

I have to automate setting the high shelf Frequency .
But I have to reserve a modulation slot this parameter to "shift", but he is busy with the observance of "symmetry". :roll:
Last edited by 8cros on 25 Jun 2016, edited 2 times in total.
REASON RESONANCES

swamptooth

25 Jun 2016

So did you notice any issues with the low cuts or high cuts or was it just the shelves?

8cros

25 Jun 2016

swamptooth wrote:So did you notice any issues with the low cuts or high cuts or was it just the shelves?
In this example, I use the shelf and found the problem.
Lo Cut, Paramm 1/2 - they work perfectly.
REASON RESONANCES

swamptooth

25 Jun 2016

Do you happen to know if this was maybe modelled on a certain piece of vintage hardware that exhibited the behavior?

8cros

25 Jun 2016

swamptooth wrote:Do you happen to know if this was maybe modelled on a certain piece of vintage hardware that exhibited the behavior?
I thought about it. I'll try to find this piece of metal. Thanks for the idea.
REASON RESONANCES

swamptooth

25 Jun 2016

Yeah, you know it is really trendy to model imperfect hardware in the quest for colorand "humanness". Like people programming analog drift.

selig
RE Developer

25 Jun 2016

8cros wrote:
selig wrote:
8cros wrote:
selig wrote:
8cros wrote:For high shelf 18dB at 11.51 kHz ~ -18db on 4.031 kHz.
A more accurate value is at -12 / + 12 dB, it is equal to an octave.

This means that there is a trivial oversight equal to the value of one octave.
I am surprised how few people take advantage of this equalizer. What is not interesting to anyone else? I write all this because this equalizer - my favorite device.

Please, correct his mistakes.
I'm not following you in this post - I have more questions than answers!

How is 12 dB equal to an octave? Did you mean to say 12 semitones is equal to an octave, or something else?

How few people take advantage of this equalizer (I didn't see any numbers quoted)?

Please correct "who's" mistakes?

I will try to formulate again:

The amount of horizontal displacement curve chart when changing the gain from -12 to + 12dB equals X2. What corresponds to the interval octave. There is no question of semitones, it's not funny.

I do tilt equalizer to change the "color" spectrum. As well as pre / post EQ mirror symmetrically to the combination. They should compensate for each other. This is absolutely necessary. This is not a task that is able to handle SSL.
Still not following - a 6 dB change is 2x level. Octaves and decibels have no relationship that I'm aware of - unless you're talking about the first harmonic vs the second, which is an octave but which is 6 dB lower. So I can think of no situation where -12 to + 12dB equals X2, nor one where it corresponds to the "internal" octave (what is an internal octave?).

And -12 to +12 dB = 24 dB total.

I'm not trying to be funny by mentioning semitones, it's only my trying to make sense of your use of the word "Octave" in the context of decibels.

Maybe it's a language barrier - do you have links explaining how you're using the term "Octave" here?
Yes, I attached a video with a demonstration of one of the details of their design mastering combi.

Frequency setting for gain value - 12dB equals 4800 Hz;
Frequency setting for gain value + 12dB equals 9600 Hz.

The difference between F1 and F2= 4.8:9.6 kHz = 1:2 = 1 octave.
Yes, this is the language barrier.
I do not have the ability to use RE in their work, because I make a standard patch.

To be honest, I was a bit tired trying to explain the feature of the equalizer error. :puf_unhappy:
You explained it perfectly here, thanks for being patient with me on this!

Looks like you're building a tilt EQ, right? I think one issue is the 12 dB/Oct slope (instead of 6b dB/Oct) of the filters used to build the Shelf EQ (noted by the resonance, because 6 dB/Oct has no resonance).

Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

28 Jun 2016

"Hi,

sorry but this is just how this EQ happens to work, and it's been this way since its introduction more than ten years ago. We cannot change this now as this would cause lots of compatibility problems with old songs.

best regards / Ludvig Carlson" :o :arrow: :cry:
REASON RESONANCES

• Information