To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
C//AZM

30 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:
C//AZM wrote:Well here's a different perspective;
1. None of the new player devices appeal to me. They are primarily designed for non-players.

While they may not appeal to you, they're definitely not just for non players.

I don't play robotic nor have I had any interest in playing robotic. However, I love a good arppegiator. Even if I had Oscar Peterson in the studio with me and we were doing dance music and it called for a certain sound, I wouldn't hesitate to stick and arppegiator on a track instead of Peterson. That is, IF the music calls for robotic repetitiveness. Ditto for the midi echo thingy.
My chord changes are usually logical, theoretical and predictable, but when I use the chords player, all sorts of strange but good ideas hit me simply by clicking a switch. I can only play like me, and this player does stuff I would've never thought of doing. This helps me a lot by transcending my mind constraints.

Lastly, you can buy a good pitch editing software for more than 129, also you can buy enough Refills for 1000 sounds for more than 129.
You got to be kidding. OP was known to chew up the best bass players with one hand. And you'd seriously replace him with a machine!
Surely you jest.
I get you are making a point.
But Oscar?
Man.
Ok maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic! LOL. If Peterson was in the room I'd say, "ok you're no longer a dance music singer, your gonna sing jazz, better yet, here's some shakers"

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

30 Jun 2016

Amyjer wrote:I have been a very satisfied Reason user since it was a synth rack for many reasons (pun intended) and for the first time, I am not planning to upgrade. Here are my three reasons:

1. None of the new player devices appeal to me. They are primarily designed for non-players. That's perfectly fine, and I can certainly understand their appeal, but I prefer to play my parts. It could be that I don't quite get what they do and perhaps they can be used in ways I have not thought of (entirely possible).

2. The Line 6 devices go away. While
I can keep Reason 8 around to use them, in reality I will not be flipping back and forth between Reason versions while working on a song. There is no advantage to losing these devices. But this is not a deal breaker for me given other devices in the Reason rack and outboard gear.

3. I primarily record instrumentals and to the extent I have vocals, I am sending wave files to others (or importing them). The new audio features are of limited value to me. Even audio to midi is of limited value since I would just play the part.

That leaves the 1000 new sounds. I listened to some and they do sound quite nice. I am not sure they are worth $129.
I found the players to be very creative and have brought new life into existing stock and RE's. Just mess about with the order of them.

The new sounds I have found to be creative, I create a lot my self however a tweak of an existing sound sometimes works well (no need to reinvent the wheel every time)..

The "Players" are heavily used in the following track but hope they don't sound like the players as I tried to be creative with them.

Most of the sounds (all bar one) are from the new sound bank with a few (quite a few in places) tweaks.

The track was knocked out very quickly, hence it needs more elements and polishing but the The "Players" took me there :)

Regards

Carly aka PoohBear (PB)

Dabbler

30 Jun 2016

C//AZM wrote:
Dabbler wrote:
1. None of the new player devices appeal to me. They are primarily designed for non-players.

I don't play robotic nor have I had any interest in playing robotic. However, I love a good arppegiator. Even if I had Oscar Peterson in the studio with me and we were doing dance music and it called for a certain sound, I wouldn't hesitate to stick and arppegiator on a track instead of Peterson. That is, IF the music calls for robotic repetitiveness. Ditto for the midi echo thingy.
My chord changes are usually logical, theoretical and predictable, but when I use the chords player, all sorts of strange but good ideas hit me simply by clicking a switch. I can only play like me, and this player does stuff I would've never thought of doing. This helps me a lot by transcending my mind constraints.

Lastly, you can buy a good pitch editing software for more than 129, also you can buy enough Refills for 1000 sounds for more than 129.
You got to be kidding. OP was known to chew up the best bass players with one hand. And you'd seriously replace him with a machine!
Surely you jest.
But Oscar?
Man.
Ok maybe I was being a bit hyperbolic! LOL. If Peterson was in the room I'd say, "ok you're no longer a dance music singer, your gonna sing jazz, better yet, here's some shakers"
You lost me here.

C//AZM

30 Jun 2016

Dabbler wrote:
C//AZM wrote:
Dabbler wrote:

Surely you jest.
But Oscar?
Man.
You lost me here.
Yes I write horribly sometimes.....The dance music singer; If I was working with a dance music singer and Peterson walked into the room, I would hand the singer some shakers and then record whatever Peterson wanted to record.

Dabbler

30 Jun 2016

C//AZM wrote:
Dabbler wrote:
C//AZM wrote:
Dabbler wrote:

Surely you jest.
But Oscar?
Man.
You lost me here.
Yes I write horribly sometimes.....The dance music singer; If I was working with a dance music singer and Peterson walked into the room, I would hand the singer some shakers and then record whatever Peterson wanted to record.
It's on me. You wrote it perfectly. I read it all wrong.

kitekrazy

30 Jun 2016

pjeudy wrote:
boobytrap wrote:this is an arrogant upgrade. they refuse many requests !

Example 1 - Presonus Listen what users ask !(simple and must need) But proppelerhead didn't
AC.jpg
I'm still new to Studio One...But it was a surprised for me to see there request section on there site...It's as if they want you to request stuff.
It's almost like a democratic process thing they have going on..where users can rate the best request..and maybe that'll get implimented in a future update.
Take a look:
http://answers.presonus.com/questions/s ... s?sort=hot

P.S: there is proof on there request page that proves that the grass is not necessarily greener on the other side :puf_bigsmile: Specially when looking at the "Fader undo" request...we've had that in REASON like for ever :)
Just about ever DAW has it's own forum. I think this is Props biggest mistake. They have disconnected from the end user.

kitekrazy

30 Jun 2016

gak wrote:I can't remember where exactly my posts on this are so I'll summarize (did the beta testing)

-There is nothing "wrong" with the update, but it felt more like a .5 update.
-The players are fine, but I can do that w/o them (not as easily, but they aren't game changers to me)
-CPU use has gone up a tad (which it did in 8.3 as well)
-Bounce great, but if I'm willing to take a bit longer, you can already do that with the render (but it's not as elegant, I know)
-Couldn't care less about the pitch control (I don't do vocals)
-Do not like audio to midi* (thought it would be more like ableton)
-The sounds are GREAT! They really are. But I get great sounds myself**
-We're not talking about 49 bucks, were talking about 129. Which is more than I want to spend right now.

*Maybe if someone would do a tutorial on it WHY it's important? The manual wasn't very revealing and simply posting to allihoopa what you did doesn't show fuck-all as to how it actually made things easy breezy.

**But they really are very good. Yeah, many are what you get, but some of them have had "players" added and are far more inspiring.

Someday I'll get it, but probably not until they either a) ACTUALLY add some workflow improvements or b) it goes on sale (the upgrade)
And they removed stuff. Some DAWs like Sonar, FL Studio still keep ancient stuff but this can be a problem when you run into 3rd party collaboration. Audio to midi will never be good enough. It's not like Live's. Having Melodyne and the one in Live both produce different results.

$129 is still a decent upgrade price compared to other DAWs not named Reaper, FL, and Tracktion. It's $109 through Jrrshop. BTW does the Reason upgrade price ever go on sale. I'll wait for a deal with some REs thrown in.

My biggest rant is they should spend less time on REs, let that to 3rd party developers. Release their monopoly on it because they are overpriced. Their REs should be part of Reason.

kenji

30 Jun 2016

Hey guys,

I'm new here and was going to ask the same question, its only a small fee but arturia are offering allot of synths for similar money. (TORN BETWEEN TWO WORLDS LOL)

boobytrap

30 Jun 2016

kitekrazy wrote: Just about ever DAW has it's own forum. I think this is Props biggest mistake. They have disconnected from the end user.
Isn't this enough to understand how arrogant they are and how they listen to users? Even renoise got over 10000 member forum.
Reason 8 + Rack Extensions

FL Studio - Bitwig - Renoise - Massive - Zebra2 - Hive - Cyclop - Ozone 6

EndOfGreatness

30 Jun 2016

I can keep Reason 8 around to use them, in reality I will not be flipping back and forth between Reason versions while working on a song. There is no advantage to losing these devices. But this is not a deal breaker for me given other devices in the Reason rack and outboard gear.
Unfortunately this is a huge deal breaker for me, which after 15 years is... disappointing. I have purchased every single upgrade Props has put out ever since 2001. I payed for the Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum software because it could be used in Reason. There is just no comparison to losing 78 guitar amps, 28 bass amps, 6 pre-amps, 24 guitar cab models, and 22 bass cab models. Kuassa helps a little bit, but it's just not enough. Re-Wire isn't a good answer either, as it doesn't let you record audio in slave mode. All around bummer :(
Sound Designer for 1336 Studios - Reasoning since 2001

jfrichards

30 Jun 2016

EndOfGreatness wrote:...The Line 6 devices go away...which after 15 years is... disappointing...I payed for the Line 6 Pod Farm Platinum software because it could be used in Reason... All around bummer :(
I really feel your pain with this change. I was really into Amplitube for years and spent a lot. It was so disappointing that it never got ported into Reason. The work-arounds didn't work for me. Kuassa was a great step, as are Revival and Softube, but there is a long way to go. I'm expecting some serious developments for guitar in Reason over the next three years. Summed up in one word, Engl. If you can do Engl, you can do it all. From the delicate glass tones of an old Fender to the modern Tsunami-like ultra-harmonic Metal tones. Softube Metal Room would be just fine for me, on top of what we now have. So close yet so far away... But I can't give up Reason due to the hyper-creative vibes and science which creates some interesting connection between my blood and nerves and the digital circuitry, including the intriguing inspirations in Reason 9.

kuhliloach

30 Jun 2016

I too was invested into a Line 6 UX2 but I seem to prefer both the Softube and Kuassa alternatives, as well my newer non Line 6 audio interface. I planned for this special occasion by retiring the UX2 in advance. It is now my backup--all bulky and plasticy.

Time to take out the Propellerwallet!

jonheal

30 Jun 2016

I'm trying to figure out why the folks who batch and moan about Reason while singing the praises of other programs continue to stick around.

I guess deep down, they really are drawn to Reason, but for them it's like being hopelessly in love with someone who at the same time, continues to fall short of their expectations.

The key to contentment with Reason is the same as the key to contentment with anything in life: management of expectations.
Last edited by jonheal on 02 Jul 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

kitekrazy

01 Jul 2016

jonheal wrote:I'm trying to figure out why the folks who batch and moan about Reason while singing the praises of other programs continue to stick around.

I guess deep down, they really are drawn to a Reason, but for them it's like being hopelessly in love with someone who at the same time, continues to fall short of their expectations.

The key to contentment with Reason is the same as the key to contentment with anything in life: management of expectations.
It's like that on most DAW forums. So I guess using Reason one should lower expectations.

jfrichards

01 Jul 2016

Go for Reason 9. It's so good.
https://allihoopa.com/s/AHZS22Vv

Social Exodus

01 Jul 2016

boobytrap wrote:
Amyjer wrote:I have been a very satisfied Reason user since it was a synth rack for many reasons (pun intended) and for the first time, I am not planning to upgrade. Here are my three reasons:

1. None of the new player devices appeal to me. They are primarily designed for non-players. That's perfectly fine, and I can certainly understand their appeal, but I prefer to play my parts. It could be that I don't quite get what they do and perhaps they can be used in ways I have not thought of (entirely possible).

3. I primarily record instrumentals and to the extent I have vocals, I am sending wave files to others (or importing them). The new audio features are of limited value to me. Even audio to midi is of limited value since I would just play the part.

That leaves the 1000 new sounds. I listened to some and they do sound quite nice. I am not sure they are worth $129.

Also, I now use Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) controllers like the Seaboard and LinnStrument. Reason does not support the MPE standard. To be fair, very few DAWs do.

My absolute favorite feature of Reason is Blocks. It completely changed my song writing process. I can still use this feature in Reason 8.

Am I missing something? Are the new sounds worth the upgrade price alone?

If not, I will stick with Reason 8 and likely go back to using Reason through Rewire to access all the great sounds and Rack Extensions.

I appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks.

Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Line 6 devices go away. While I can keep Reason 8 around to use them.

3. I primarily record instrumentals and to the extent I have vocals, I am sending wave files to others (or importing them). The new audio features are of limited value to me.

-------------means not to upgrade------------
I am a player, but a GUITAR player. I can play some keyboard, and I get the theory even if my hands don't want to go to the right place (yet). I have heard some folks refer to these new Players as"being for noobs" and that kind of thing pisses me off a tad. I've been playing guitar since the 1960s so I'm hardly a music "noob", but only recently got into keys and synths. The point is that new ways for people to create music is never bad really -- and it can be amazingly reconstituting to one's musical journey.

The Line6 loss is big to me because I have the POD Farm Platinum collection which is useless in Reason 9. I really like Kuassa's stuff, namely Vermillion, Creme and Cerberus amp sims so I am still set there.

Lastly, for a guy who can ALMOST sing, the pitch edit is a gift from God.
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

jonheal

01 Jul 2016

kitekrazy wrote:
jonheal wrote:I'm trying to figure out why the folks who batch and moan about Reason while singing the praises of other programs continue to stick around.

I guess deep down, they really are drawn to a Reason, but for them it's like being hopelessly in love with someone who at the same time, continues to fall short of their expectations.

It's like that on most DAW forums. So I guess using Reason one should lower expectations.
Just "manage" them. Which admittedly, is a fine art. Easier said than done. :)
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

clone

03 Jul 2016

Count me it, see what I did right there..

Went to Guitar Center and bought myself a hard copy, just like I have been doing since 3.0.

Can I have a refresher course please, done the installation many times but don't want any problems?

Do I still move the sound banks? Make sure to back everything up, Delete current reason right? Am I forgetting something?

-clone

kitekrazy

03 Jul 2016

Siberian Khatru wrote:
boobytrap wrote:

Also, I now use Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) controllers like the Seaboard and LinnStrument. Reason does not support the MPE standard. To be fair, very few DAWs do.

My absolute favorite feature of Reason is Blocks. It completely changed my song writing process. I can still use this feature in Reason 8.

Am I missing something? Are the new sounds worth the upgrade price alone?

If not, I will stick with Reason 8 and likely go back to using Reason through Rewire to access all the great sounds and Rack Extensions.

I appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks.

Jeremy

2. The Line 6 devices go away. While I can keep Reason 8 around to use them.

3. I primarily record instrumentals and to the extent I have vocals, I am sending wave files to others (or importing them). The new audio features are of limited value to me.

-------------means not to upgrade------------
I am a player, but a GUITAR player. I can play some keyboard, and I get the theory even if my hands don't want to go to the right place (yet). I have heard some folks refer to these new Players as"being for noobs" and that kind of thing pisses me off a tad. I've been playing guitar since the 1960s so I'm hardly a music "noob", but only recently got into keys and synths. The point is that new ways for people to create music is never bad really -- and it can be amazingly reconstituting to one's musical journey.

The Line6 loss is big to me because I have the POD Farm Platinum collection which is useless in Reason 9. I really like Kuassa's stuff, namely Vermillion, Creme and Cerberus amp sims so I am still set there.

Lastly, for a guy who can ALMOST sing, the pitch edit is a gift from God.
You can still upgrade but have 9 in a different folder. The Line6/Props partnership must not have created any sales and now it wont for sure.

Amyjer

20 Jul 2016

I appreciate the spirited discussion. If you are interested, I wrote a blog post on the subject with my conclusion called "Are Musicians Obsolete?"

http://jeremycubert.com/?p=73

• Information