Newbie Question About Default Samples In Reason 8

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
gaclab

15 Jul 2016

Hey guys,

New reason user here and new to the forums also, so please forgive me if I'm posting this to the wrong area or just generally come off as a dumb person.

I had a question about the stock samples in the Reason Factory Sound Bank that are provided with the full version of Reason 8. My issue is that a lot of the sample collections seem incomplete. For example, today I'm playing around with the NN-XT and I've stumbled upon the Prodigy SlowSweepSaw which is under the sound bank's folder NN-XT Sampler Patches > Synth Poly.

Below are all the files within the folder:

SlowSweepSaw-11-E6.wav
SlowSweepSaw-10-B5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-09-F5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-08-C5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-07-G4.wav
SlowSweepSaw-06-D4.wav
SlowSweepSaw-05-A3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-04-F3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-03-C3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-02-G2.wav
SlowSweepSaw-01-D2.wav

That's it. So umm... where are the other notes? I guess what I'm wanting or expecting is a full octave of sampled notes that I can just load into the NN-XT, assign to MIDI notes on my keyboard, and go to town. But I can't because all I have are the samples above.

So finally to the question(s) folks:

1.) Am I incorrect to have this expectation when using the Reason Sound Bank?
2.) Are these just a subset of samples? Can I download or purchase the additional samples elsewhere?
3.) If those files are what I get and nothing more no-way no-how, then how are you guys using the samples practically? Are you pitch adjusting them to meet different notes?

Thanks for the help.
Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 4.5 | Mac OSX 10.13.4 w/ 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5 12 GB Ram (dinosaur) | Behringer U-Phoria UMC1820 | M-Audio Keystation 49es | Akai MPD218 | KRK Rokit 5s

orthodox
RE Developer

15 Jul 2016

Prodigy SlowSweepSaw samples are used by the "MgP SlowSweepSaw.sxt" patch in the parent folder. You can load it into NN-XT and look how they defined sample zones to span the whole range with that set.

swamptooth

15 Jul 2016

gcopley wrote:Hey guys,

New reason user here and new to the forums also, so please forgive me if I'm posting this to the wrong area or just generally come off as a dumb person.

I had a question about the stock samples in the Reason Factory Sound Bank that are provided with the full version of Reason 8. My issue is that a lot of the sample collections seem incomplete. For example, today I'm playing around with the NN-XT and I've stumbled upon the Prodigy SlowSweepSaw which is under the sound bank's folder NN-XT Sampler Patches > Synth Poly.

Below are all the files within the folder:

SlowSweepSaw-11-E6.wav
SlowSweepSaw-10-B5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-09-F5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-08-C5.wav
SlowSweepSaw-07-G4.wav
SlowSweepSaw-06-D4.wav
SlowSweepSaw-05-A3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-04-F3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-03-C3.wav
SlowSweepSaw-02-G2.wav
SlowSweepSaw-01-D2.wav

That's it. So umm... where are the other notes? I guess what I'm wanting or expecting is a full octave of sampled notes that I can just load into the NN-XT, assign to MIDI notes on my keyboard, and go to town. But I can't because all I have are the samples above.

So finally to the question(s) folks:

1.) Am I incorrect to have this expectation when using the Reason Sound Bank?
2.) Are these just a subset of samples? Can I download or purchase the additional samples elsewhere?
3.) If those files are what I get and nothing more no-way no-how, then how are you guys using the samples practically? Are you pitch adjusting them to meet different notes?

Thanks for the help.
Most sample libraries will only sample a subset of notes and map them across the range of the keyboard. It's a pretty common practice. Where you see deeper levels of sampling are products like Vienna instruments and spitfire audio which will sample multiple velocity levels as well as round robins. That level of detail costs, though.

• Information