This would sound so good in Reason...

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
mreese80

23 Jul 2016

U-HE DIVA

Last edited by mreese80 on 14 Apr 2017, edited 3 times in total.
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

riemac

23 Jul 2016

Yes, you are right, looks really nice in the rack. Would look even better without the woodpanel. The only problem is, that it never will happen and it would destroy your cpu in Reason.

mreese80

23 Jul 2016

riemac wrote:Yes, you are right, looks really nice in the rack. Would look even better without the woodpanel. The only problem is, that it never will happen and it would destroy your cpu in Reason.
You are right about the cpu. Man, i didn't think about the wood panel. i was working with diva this morning and for some reason i loaded photoshop and through it together. im about to remove the wood panel now.

Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

nooomy

23 Jul 2016

Yeah that's a dream...
I read somewhere long ago that propellerhead beged and plead uhe to make a diva for reason. But after uhe failed on the rack market and their rack extension programmer quit + they couldn't copy the diva exactly cuz of the sdk limitation.... :/

one day maybe....

mreese80

23 Jul 2016

nooomy wrote:Yeah that's a dream...
I read somewhere long ago that propellerhead beged and plead uhe to make a diva for reason. But after uhe failed on the rack market and their rack extension programmer quit + they couldn't copy the diva exactly cuz of the sdk limitation.... :/

one day maybe....

This is a major cpu killer. It's not a probably because i can bounce midi to audio with one click in the akai mpc software. It would fit Reason perfectly.

MusicianX

26 Jul 2016

[quote="nooomy"]Yeah that's a dream...

one day maybe....

What exactly are the limitations of sdk that wont allow certain plugins to come to reason? Ive seen this as the reason for multiple good plugins not coming over as a rack extension.

nooomy

27 Jul 2016

MusicianX wrote:
nooomy wrote:Yeah that's a dream...

one day maybe....

What exactly are the limitations of sdk that wont allow certain plugins to come to reason? Ive seen this as the reason for multiple good plugins not coming over as a rack extension.
The ability to exchange parts of the synth like in Thor is not available for rack extensions.

Another one is how rack extensions use the cpu, from what I understood As a none programmer the way you are allowed to program rack extensions are more limited compared to vsts.
In order to protect the user from "bad coding" that causes crashes the rack extensions has to use the cpu in a specific way,
a lot of vst producers has to completely re program their vst from scratch If they would want to release their vst as a rack extension. That takes a lot of time and money, and because the rack extension market is not big enough to spend that money to reprogram their vst, they choose not to.

Maybe one day, when its profitable enough we will see diva :)

SonicElements

27 Jul 2016

You can technically have different modules in a Rack Extension. With the normal UI (buttons/knobs/etc..) you are stuck with those UI objects in 1 fixed position. Think of the FX on Antidote.

You could make an entire GUI in the display UI object. For example, Synchronouses multi-colored lines. Having done some development work with the SDK coding and managing the GUI is a horrible experience. And the bigger and more complex the GUI the harder and more time consuming it gets. If I remember right you add one button there are about 7-9 files you need to carefully manage and edit. You need a couple of unique names, It is tedious and extremely demotivating.
:reason: Sonic Elements - Refills
https://sonic-elements.com/product-category/refill/

MusicianX

27 Jul 2016

I hate to be the pessimist but i don't think we'll ever see Diva as a rack extension unfortunately. The two main complaints with porting vst that i hear are sdk limitations and the market itself is not worth the time which sucks because if developers all keep that mindset the rack extension market will never grow to match the size of vst.

Iapetus 9

27 Jul 2016

Even if we were fortunate enough to get a Diva RE, which ain't likely, there would still be those who would complain about the price and the fact that they already have it in VST form...by buying it or not. I'm under the impression that Urs likes to do things his way, and that RE development didn't go the way he wanted. I don't know many who'd blame him. We can't even import samples yet. As a result, I personally don't care for VST ports anymore. I'd rather see something fresh for Reason. Anitdote etc. is a perfect example of doing things the Reason way.
38L > 51D every time.

mreese80

14 Apr 2017

Come to Reason Diva. We have the legend now. Join the family. I know you're a MAJOR CPU KILLER but we'll take you. :)

Le Boeuf

14 Apr 2017

MusicianX wrote:I hate to be the pessimist but i don't think we'll ever see Diva as a rack extension unfortunately. The two main complaints with porting vst that i hear are sdk limitations and the market itself is not worth the time which sucks because if developers all keep that mindset the rack extension market will never grow to match the size of vst.
But if they somehow could open RE's up to be used for example in Ableton, Logic etc. The RE market Would explode and we Would see all thoose great wellknown vst instruments as RE's Pretty fast i believe :)

Is that an impossible thought? I mean after all reason did already collab With ableton on the link feature, why have RE's Only available to the reason rack?

avasopht
Competition Winner

14 Apr 2017

Maybe some day our homegrown RE developers will come up with something equivalent. Fingers crossed on surpassing it.

I have found the recent RE's inspiring.

I'm also not holding my breath on established VST developers porting. A few may come along but we're already seeing a great deal of sophistication in the offerings.

decibel

14 Apr 2017

we can live in hope ;)
although i do whole heartedly agree with avasopht's sentiments above

Oquasec

14 Apr 2017

I would like zebra in reason instead since you could just use a combi for that otherone when you can create or resynthesize your own waveforms via rack extensions
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

mreese80

14 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:I would like zebra in reason instead since you could just use a combi for that otherone when you can create or resynthesize your own waveforms via rack extensions
I love zebra man. I'm with you there

MDTerps2015

14 Apr 2017

LMAO, everyone of those patches in Diva was drenched in reverb and effects. This is the reason sound every wants. LOL, make a sound and drench it with reverb and effects and you have your very own Diva.
150 paid RExtensions and still no Grammy

mreese80

14 Apr 2017

Reason 9 lol

MusicianX

14 Apr 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:
MusicianX wrote:I hate to be the pessimist but i don't think we'll ever see Diva as a rack extension unfortunately. The two main complaints with porting vst that i hear are sdk limitations and the market itself is not worth the time which sucks because if developers all keep that mindset the rack extension market will never grow to match the size of vst.
But if they somehow could open RE's up to be used for example in Ableton, Logic etc. The RE market Would explode and we Would see all thoose great wellknown vst instruments as RE's Pretty fast i believe :)

Is that an impossible thought? I mean after all reason did already collab With ableton on the link feature, why have RE's Only available to the reason rack?

Impossible...no but me personally i don't get my hopes up at all anymore. Props seems to be pretty slow with updates and them opening up rack extensions would seem kind of counter productive. Just my opinion tho.

Oquasec

15 Apr 2017

MDTerps2015 wrote:LMAO, everyone of those patches in Diva was drenched in reverb and effects. This is the reason sound every wants. LOL, make a sound and drench it with reverb and effects and you have your very own Diva.
Pretty much just gonna echo [no pun intend] what this guy said. :lol:
I wonder if urs is gonna do zebra 3 as an RE too?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

teddymcw

16 Apr 2017

Le Boeuf wrote:

Ya, really don't see REs being available in other DAWs whatsoever. I'm not an RE or VST dev, but the API cannot be compatible as it is and I'm sure no one is eager to make it compatible. Reason is CV, combi, automation and selection in all 3 views, to name a few unique things. It's the whole environment. VST api is for most other DAWs and RE is obv specifically for Reason. So yes, essentially impossible from a business / market paradigm imho, sorry.

Could an general API wrapper be written for RE to VST-like format or vice versa? I'm guessing it could be started and then some customization for each device be filled in to a large extent, but that's a real guess. Would love to be educated more on an abstract level. I'm not gonna fiddle with each SDK myself : :D

jam-s

16 Apr 2017

Well, that API wrapper would be Reason essentials.

• Information