Maschine MIDI notes to Reason via LoopBe1

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ejanuska

25 Jul 2016

I'm trying to record MIDI notes from NI Maschine with LoopBe1 acting as the connection between the two.
Using Maschine software not MIDI controller mode.

I can get the MIDI into Reason 9, sounds play through mixer, but I can't record the notes. NOTE ON lights up the devices but the notes will not record on the sequencer. The indicator on the left of the device that usually turns green on incoming note data does not turn green.

I know I can copy and paste MIDI, but I would rather not copy manually.
I also know I can export audio and import it into Reason.
Not what I want to do.

I'm trying to figure out how in the heck the MIDI notes are getting into Reason without the ability to record them.

If I do go to MIDI controller mode on the Maschine it works fine, so the hardware is good.

Raveshaper

25 Jul 2016

Go to Preferences > Control Surfaces > "<Other>"

Select the keyboard variation that suits what you're doing best. If you just want notes, use the basic one.

Once loaded, click on the control surface in the list and click on "Use No Master Keyboard".

Lock the control surface to your desired instrument. Make sure the sequencer track is armed for recording (the little icon to the right should have a red dot).

Record the notes.

Remember: this basic keyboard will respond to all midi channels. If you want to play different instruments from different midi channels, you'll need to start getting complicated.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ejanuska

26 Jul 2016

Raveshaper wrote:Go to Preferences > Control Surfaces > "<Other>"

Select the keyboard variation that suits what you're doing best. If you just want notes, use the basic one.

Once loaded, click on the control surface in the list and click on "Use No Master Keyboard".

Lock the control surface to your desired instrument. Make sure the sequencer track is armed for recording (the little icon to the right should have a red dot).

Record the notes.

Remember: this basic keyboard will respond to all midi channels. If you want to play different instruments from different midi channels, you'll need to start getting complicated.
This looks like the answer I'm looking for.
I will try this tonight.
Thanks

ejanuska

26 Jul 2016

Raveshaper wrote:...

Yeah I need to get complicated.
Its pretty frustrating. when I play the external instrument, in this case Maschine, only the midi channel I want is played. Everything changes when I hit record. Lame.

I'm spending more time f-ing with connections then making music. Fail.

Raveshaper

27 Jul 2016

I had to teach myself how to program in Lua, how to parse sysex, and also had to sign up as a developer to get better results. And still, after all of the mountains of work that I had to go through, I'm dissatisfied by the results.

Live looks really, really good. Still work to be done even there, but much less.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ejanuska

27 Jul 2016

Raveshaper wrote:I had to teach myself how to program in Lua, how to parse sysex, and also had to sign up as a developer to get better results. And still, after all of the mountains of work that I had to go through, I'm dissatisfied by the results.

Live looks really, really good. Still work to be done even there, but much less.
Honestly I don't know why the functionality of utilities like loopBe1 isn't built into Reason.
I even tried sending MIDI out of Maschine on a hardware cable and back into the computer via my Audio Interface MIDI ports, then getting it into Reason, didn't work.
I guess I could spend a ton of time analyzing MIDI messages with a third party utility, finding out where the problem is, developing a software fix, testing it, tweaking it, or I could just compose in Maschine with Massive and all the other VSTs available(tons free), export the audio, import into Reason, and just use Reason for mixdown.
I have composed many songs in Reason, but writing in Maschine is just easier and more fun, mixdown is better in Reason. Of course those are my preferences.

Live? Starting to wish I knew they were going to be so awesome a long time ago. Not quite ready to shovel out another bucket of money and reset everything.

• Information