Pet Peeves

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ProfessaKaos

01 Aug 2016

JNeffLind wrote:This isn't exactly what I intended with this thread. Pet Peeves are generally things you shouldn't be bothered by that may be mere annoyances to others but for some reason set you off. Like inconsequential things that assume excessive importance in your mind. I guess the board can always use another feature request thread though. I guess this thread is kind of a hybrid. Ain't evolution a batch?
My bad :puf_unhappy:

Jagwah

01 Aug 2016

When I have a big session that goes a long way horizontally and I need to drag a cable or device from one side to the other, it's very slow but I love Reason so oh well la la :)

JNeffLind

01 Aug 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:
My bad :puf_unhappy:
Haha. No worries man. Reasontalk is a democracy or if not then there are many coup d'etats. My jimmies are not rustled. Just wanted to be clear I wasn't setting out to create a gripe thread. Everyone's welcome to vent to their heart's content though. Democracy is a funny thing. Reference: American Presidential elections 2016.

Iapetus 9

01 Aug 2016

When I demo a RE and think how effing cool it would be if I could load my own samples.

When people actually think that VST's will make them sound pro and better...even though they wouldn't know music theory if it bit em in the ass.

These are actually pet peeves.
38L > 51D every time.

ProfessaKaos

01 Aug 2016

Jagwah wrote:When I have a big session that goes a long way horizontally and I need to drag a cable or device from one side to the other, it's very slow but I love Reason so oh well la la :)
Plus one for this. Also when dragging a mixer channel from one end to another in the mixer window, very slow, but if you hold shift and scroll the mouse wheel while dragging it, it skips over quicker but feels awkward because you have one finger on the left mouse button and another finger scrolling the mouse wheel.

Creativemind

01 Aug 2016

Zac wrote:Erm, aren't pet peeves annoyances with what is available? Not some existential list of imaginary features that don't exist? There's the feature request threads for that... no?

To try and seem like I'm not just policing .... It also peeves me that my eyesight is going so that I keep putting midi notes at x.2 rather than x.1... my fault but still a peeve.
You are in fact right sir. I am guilty here. Oops!

The OP should have stated, "Pet Peeves are things that annoy you with existing devices and the way things already work and not a Feature Suggestion thread, thank you!" lol!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

ejanuska

01 Aug 2016

Missing and moving the instrument instead of the knob.

The colors in the sequencer, call Pantone!

When editing track in the sequencer but the background color is light (lets say yellow), everything else is white, contrast issue, can't see WTF I'm doing.

guitfnky

01 Aug 2016

in keeping with the original aim of the thread, my minor peeves (that's all that remain, now that I have 9!) are just, markers, and auto punch-in/out.

other than that, I'm ridiculously happy with it. :D
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:
Jagwah wrote:When I have a big session that goes a long way horizontally and I need to drag a cable or device from one side to the other, it's very slow but I love Reason so oh well la la :)
Plus one for this. Also when dragging a mixer channel from one end to another in the mixer window, very slow, but if you hold shift and scroll the mouse wheel while dragging it, it skips over quicker but feels awkward because you have one finger on the left mouse button and another finger scrolling the mouse wheel.
just wish this could be a thing
SnapNav1.gif
SnapNav1.gif (662.2 KiB) Viewed 1689 times

http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php ... 63#p275563
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

gak

01 Aug 2016

JNeffLind wrote:This isn't exactly what I intended with this thread. Pet Peeves are generally things you shouldn't be bothered by that may be mere annoyances to others but for some reason set you off. Like inconsequential things that assume excessive importance in your mind. I guess the board can always use another feature request thread though. I guess this thread is kind of a hybrid. Ain't evolution a batch?
My pet peeve is not having two more arms to operate it!

The Real Deanc2000

01 Aug 2016

My number 1 pet peeve. Mistakenly double clicking the stop button, and the play cursor goes to the beginning of the song. Why can't they fix this? It happens at least 10 times every song.

kuhliloach

01 Aug 2016

1. add new (empty) Kong
2. press the Browse patch button

Why doesn't Reason know to go to a location with Kong patches?

It remembers the last path I was in. This would be nice if it were device specific, but sadly, in this case it places me in a path with no Kong patches -- an arbitrary place I was previously searching in that had nothing to do with Kong.

ProfessaKaos

01 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote:
SnapNav1.gif

That would be cool.

swamptooth

02 Aug 2016

having to learn stuff... i mean really, where's the usb port to my brain?

groggy1

02 Aug 2016

groggy1 wrote:There's lots of features I want.

But my biggest PET-PEAVES are:
1) When I'm in the sequencer, and right-click on a clip, Bounce-To-REX isn't available. I have to first click on the clip to edit it (I'm not sure what the mode is called), and then Bounce-To-REX is available.

2) When I upload a song to Alihoupa, I keep checking "Private" because I use Alihoupa mostly to listen to my in-progress work in the car. My pet peave is that it can't remember that I previously selected "Private", and I have to remember each time.

3) When I control external MIDI instruments, I want to be able to send Program Change messages easily. Reason makes it easy to send single-byte program-change messages, but there are other standards too. So it works well with some synths, but not others. (i.e. I want to load a song and have it transmit program changes at song-load)
I just remembered another pet-peeve:

I usually like to turn down the velocity->vol modulation in Kong's sampler, so that it doesn't matter whether I play a note lightly or loud: Either way, it plays the sample at the same volume. I do this because a kick-drum isn't really something I want to play "soft".

Anyway, when you drag a NEW sample to a Kong pad, it RESETS the velocity->vol modulation back to its original setting! So I have to go set it again!
So in a nutshell, the whole point of DRAG AND DROP is how easy it is to do. But in this case, dragging a new sample over requires me to go change the params EVERY TIME. Arg!

KOOOOOOOONNGGG! (bad Star Trek 2 joke)

dvdrtldg

02 Aug 2016

buddard wrote:Like when you have an automation part open in the sequencer for editing, and you attempt to double-click on an automation part in another lane to edit that one instead: The first click will deselect the current lane, making it shorter, and the second click will create a new empty part on a completely different track/lane, because the second half of the double-click ended up somewhere else... I can't believe how often this happens to me!
I do that all the time too :lol:

The whole business of sending Kong pads out to their own individual mix channels drives me crazy. As cool as Kong undoubtedly is, these days I stick to Redrum unless I've got a lot of time & patience on my hands

Tiny fiddly over-crowded UIs. Took me a while to hate them as much as I do, but I find something like Predator really tiresome to program these days

The Uhbik A bug. I work at 48 kHz because that's what we use at my job, and it kills me that I bought this nice reverb and can't use it

Synth presets. I know a lot of work goes into them but sorry guys, they're almost all horrible. I'm not a huge preset user so it doesn't bother me too much, but every now and then I go browsing to see if there's anything interesting to use as a starting point. It's just a sea of cheesy EDM leads, cliched ambient pads that sound like something from a bath salts commercial, dumb wacky FX and everything drenched in reverb & decay to make it sound huge. Of course it's all subjective but pet peeves are the essence of subjectivity, and that one's mine

Jagwah

02 Aug 2016

I am still completely lost when browsing for devices this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Raveshaper

02 Aug 2016

Y'know, late at night, sometimes I find myself without a fresh toasty biscuit.

And, I feel like every time I open Reason... and it doesn't make me a biscuit... I am disappointed.

Where is my biscuit?!
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

dvdrtldg

02 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:
Where is my biscuit?!
Current SDK doesn't allow for the manufacture of baked goods

WillyOD

02 Aug 2016

I highly doubt this is Reason's doing (software testing and development etc,) more likely an user error.

(Always) backup your files if this happens a lot (8x is a lot!). Inspect and replace your broken hardware (most likely RAM or HDD).
Last Alternative wrote:When I go to open a song and randomly it's zero kilobytes and won't open; gone forever and PH says there's nothing they can do.. 8x now.
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

Captain Boyfriend

02 Aug 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
ProfessaKaos wrote:
SnapNav1.gif

That would be cool.
+1 that would be handy.

I get annoyed that Undo also reverts you to whatever the last view of the sequencer/other stuff was. Sometimes I'm zoomed in on a waveform and want to stay zoomed in while undoing a bunch of dumb stuff I did. It's a pet peeve because sometimes this quirk can be helpful sometimes too. I wish there were a button to deactivate it like I can deactivate Follow by hitting F. I'm sure for most people it's fine.

Last Alternative

02 Aug 2016

WillyOD wrote:I highly doubt this is Reason's doing (software testing and development etc,) more likely an user error.

(Always) backup your files if this happens a lot (8x is a lot!). Inspect and replace your broken hardware (most likely RAM or HDD).
Last Alternative wrote:When I go to open a song and randomly it's zero kilobytes and won't open; gone forever and PH says there's nothing they can do.. 8x now.
I don't have a HDD. It did it on 2 different computers - an old laptop and an all new high power desktop I built. I back up everything on 2 devices so it's not really a loss anymore but it happened again the other day. Not a user error as I always save the same way. RAM is also new and I have no other computer problems. Also, others have had the same issue. It's so rare that I don't think PH even has a way of fixing it since it can't be diagnosed, especially with a 0kB file they can't open. I think you're totally wrong.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

WongoTheSane

02 Aug 2016

Last Alternative wrote:
WillyOD wrote:I highly doubt this is Reason's doing (software testing and development etc,) more likely an user error.

I don't have a HDD. It did it on 2 different computers - an old laptop and an all new high power desktop I built. I back up everything on 2 devices so it's not really a loss anymore but it happened again the other day. Not a user error as I always save the same way. RAM is also new and I have no other computer problems. Also, others have had the same issue. It's so rare that I don't think PH even has a way of fixing it since it can't be diagnosed, especially with a 0kB file they can't open. I think you're totally wrong.
If you use Windows, would you mind trying something?

- Launch Reason.
- Add a device (Subtractor will do).
- Save the song.
- DO NOT QUIT REASON YET.
- Locate the song you just saved and zip it.
- Now quit Reason.
- Check and report: 1) the size of the file that is inside the compressed folder 2) the size of the uncompressed file.

Thanks!

WillyOD

04 Aug 2016

Hmm, is this Reason 9, I've never heard of this problem before?

It sounds like something is blocking the write process. Are you running any kinda of special antivirus/spyware/etc protection?

I'm sure you're using Save as to make different versions of projects by now since your problem sounds like a real bummer. Does it make a difference if you run Reason as an admin?
I used to make music but now I just cry on these forums. @diippii.com

JNeffLind

05 Aug 2016

Raveshaper wrote:Y'know, late at night, sometimes I find myself without a fresh toasty biscuit.

And, I feel like every time I open Reason... and it doesn't make me a biscuit... I am disappointed.

Where is my biscuit?!
It's always worthwhile checking under your seat.

• Information