Do you use the 14:2 mixer?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

13 Sep 2016

Does anyone use the 14:2 mixer anymore? A thread here about a headphone mix brought up a post using the 14:2

I can't remember the last time I used one in a project. Any combinator that I create makes use of the 6:2 mixer - which is plenty.

Is anyone using the 14:2 ?

What are you doing with it?

dioxide

13 Sep 2016

It has a few advantages. It has 4 sends and also it has more CV inputs on the back. So you can use it as a CV controlled gate for instance. Generally I don't use it much these days though, it is mainly present in patches and legacy stuff for things like EQ and multiple sends.

K.Markov

13 Sep 2016

yes, in combinator with boom 808 :puf_smile:

dvdrtldg

13 Sep 2016

If I'm building something in a combinator and I think things are likely to get complicated, then I'll use a 14:2 because of the four aux send/returns. Gives more flexibility with FX - although at the same time, this is the scenario where I always find myself wishing there were more combi CV inputs

Otherwise, I stick to the 6:2

Creativemind

13 Sep 2016

No, I use the 14:2 Line Mixer ;-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

chimp_spanner

13 Sep 2016

It still has its place. Sometimes I like to use Reason with limitations, as though I only had a finite amount of real hardware (and rack space!). So the 14:2 mixer is really cool for setting up smaller projects. But I guess it's a preference thing as much as anything else!

talex

13 Sep 2016

Big yes. I'll be using the 14:2 in the combinator until they create a Nano SSL system that will drop in the combo and flip for routing.

Vyckeil

13 Sep 2016

I always use it when I create a combinator.

jonheal

13 Sep 2016

Vyckeil wrote:I always use it when I create a combinator.
Same here.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

FlowerSoldier

13 Sep 2016

talex wrote:Big yes. I'll be using the 14:2 in the combinator until they create a Nano SSL system that will drop in the combo and flip for routing.
Dang it. That's brilliant. It could even collapse/expand like the Thor programmer. This could be a Thing. Any RE devs agree?

Raveshaper

13 Sep 2016

If I'm making a sound that contains a lot of layers and I want to keep my main mix uncluttered, I use a 14:2 instead of lots of SSL channels.
I have found that the SSL channels consume much more processor than the rack-based mixers do, which is another reason for doing this.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

stratatonic

13 Sep 2016

dioxide wrote:It has a few advantages. It has 4 sends and also it has more CV inputs on the back. So you can use it as a CV controlled gate for instance. Generally I don't use it much these days though, it is mainly present in patches and legacy stuff for things like EQ and multiple sends.
dvdrtldg wrote:If I'm building something in a combinator and I think things are likely to get complicated, then I'll use a 14:2 because of the four aux send/returns. Gives more flexibility with FX - although at the same time, this is the scenario where I always find myself wishing there were more combi CV inputs
Yes, good point about the extra sends. I had been planning to make a multi FX combinator a few years back for guitar - I should revisit that maybe.
The CV inputs as well. I recall some crazy ass combinators with bizarre CV routing way back when!

I wonder if there would be a market for an RE line mixer that could be compact, but still have a ton of CV and send/returns and EQs...what options could possibly go in such a device?

chimp_spanner

15 Sep 2016

I'd personally get a lot of use out of an SSL style "sub mixer" that I could use to group and mix 4-8 instruments on. If it could even look like the SSL that'd be nice. Some quick and dirty two knob fx like a compressor and gate, maybe reverb and delay built in. Full CV control of parameters. MIDI in for muting/soloing/latching channels. That'd be awesome!

stratatonic

10 Oct 2016

FlowerSoldier wrote:
talex wrote:Big yes. I'll be using the 14:2 in the combinator until they create a Nano SSL system that will drop in the combo and flip for routing.
Dang it. That's brilliant. It could even collapse/expand like the Thor programmer. This could be a Thing. Any RE devs agree?
A collapsable Nano SSL! :thumbs_up:
chimp_spanner wrote:I'd personally get a lot of use out of an SSL style "sub mixer" that I could use to group and mix 4-8 instruments on. If it could even look like the SSL that'd be nice. Some quick and dirty two knob fx like a compressor and gate, maybe reverb and delay built in. Full CV control of parameters. MIDI in for muting/soloing/latching channels. That'd be awesome!
That sounds like a great idea - never thought about comps and gates in the mixer itself. Any dev out there listening? :) Could even swap out comp, EQ, rev modules (somehow...)

Data_Shrine

10 Oct 2016

I like to use it in a combinator, especially with ReDrum and the various sends.

QVprod

10 Oct 2016

Rarely, but useful when on occasion where I want multiple send fx in a combinator patch. Otherwise, the line mixer is plenty for most things.

gak

11 Oct 2016

Where it's the most useful to me, is drums. Yeah, that concept is put forward by "BFD CORE" etc, but that is where it shines the most.

In the "reason" world, it's necessary. Sure, I'd rather see the integration with the "SSL" mixer better, but it's not likely to happen.

Redster

11 Oct 2016

I use it as a permanent patchbay in my default template to the hardware outputs so I can quickly direct out any channel strip to external hardware or other software for processing, and have independent control of the level in and out. I sandwich it between two Selig Gains to monitor in and out levels and keep them consistent.

michal22

11 Oct 2016

Yes, I use it all the time. Mainly in combinators.
Ableton Live Suite 10 / Reason 10 / Windows 10 / Fingers - also 10 ;)

Abstrax

11 Oct 2016

I use it in every combinator. Which in turn means every sound. There are so many upsides to it.

New instruments are auto-routed to the mixer in combinators. Faders with visual LEDs. Pan and Volume CVs. The broad band EQ section. I use the master volume for sidechain automation. You can always turn a stereo signal into a dual mono setup by giving each cable its own channel, hard panning left and right, then turning the fader down to 79.

Most importantly, 4 FX sends (1 w/ prefader send). There are a lot of possibilities with the sends because they can be sent to other sends as well. The way to do this is to go from a Send out --> to FX device --> to open 14:2 mixer channel. This of course applies to SSL routing. If you are aren't using all of the sends, dont forget that they are also signal splitters.

stratatonic

11 Oct 2016

Redster wrote:I use it as a permanent patchbay in my default template to the hardware outputs so I can quickly direct out any channel strip to external hardware or other software for processing, and have independent control of the level in and out. I sandwich it between two Selig Gains to monitor in and out levels and keep them consistent.
o_0!! Mind Blown...
Abstrax wrote:I use it in every combinator. Which in turn means every sound. There are so many upsides to it.

New instruments are auto-routed to the mixer in combinators. Faders with visual LEDs. Pan and Volume CVs. The broad band EQ section. I use the master volume for sidechain automation. You can always turn a stereo signal into a dual mono setup by giving each cable its own channel, hard panning left and right, then turning the fader down to 79.

Most importantly, 4 FX sends (1 w/ prefader send). There are a lot of possibilities with the sends because they can be sent to other sends as well. The way to do this is to go from a Send out --> to FX device --> to open 14:2 mixer channel. This of course applies to SSL routing. If you are aren't using all of the sends, dont forget that they are also signal splitters.
And again!...great input.

---

I will be revisiting the 14:2 first off for a drum bus like quite a few posters here have said. It's a pain in the butt to adjust volume on all the Pads on Kong by clicking the pad, and then adjusting the volume, then clicking another pad, adjusting, etc etc. Having a Kong all ready mapped out to a mixer in a combinator will save a boatload of time setting levels. Mapping a Kong to the SSL in a template just uses up way too many SSL channels - channels that cannot be collapsed currently. And using an RV7000 instead of the Kong reverb will be nice as well...

---

Revisiting the Mixer RE - if it were ever to happen - it would also be nice to have inserts as well as sends, as well as all the other cool stuff mentioned above.

• Information