Leaky SSL HP filter

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Sep 2016

I've noticed this now and then when using a highpass filter on a track in the SSL: The low frequencies don't appear to get entirely attenuated. Is there some principle of audio at work that I'm missing, or perhaps some peculiarity of how Reason models the SSL circuitry?

Last edited by fieldframe on 12 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.

Abstrax

11 Sep 2016

Check your SSL input signal flow. There's a chance you have the EQ/Filter before insert FXs.

fieldframe
RE Developer

11 Sep 2016

That was it, thanks!

Looks like I forgot about Insert Pre since my inserts are normally compressors. Using something like Softube's Saturation Knob, though, creates a bunch of new harmonics and definitely makes a difference if it's after the EQ!

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2016

Also, filters never entirely attenuate a signal. They operate on a "slope" that theoretically keeps on going and going!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

8cros

12 Sep 2016

fieldframe wrote:[edit] Sorry, posted this in Rack Extensions instead of General - can a mod move it?

I've noticed this now and then when using a highpass filter on a track in the SSL: The low frequencies don't appear to get entirely attenuated. Is there some principle of audio at work that I'm missing, or perhaps some peculiarity of how Reason models the SSL circuitry?

This dB / octave.
The white line is not cut-off line. :mrgreen:
Record For The Real Force
REASON RESONANCES

selig
RE Developer

12 Sep 2016

8cros wrote:
fieldframe wrote:[edit] Sorry, posted this in Rack Extensions instead of General - can a mod move it?

This dB / octave.
The white line is not cut-off line. :mrgreen:
+1
That's the best way to say it I've ever heard!

The white line is the response imposed on the input, not some sort of audio "fence" that keeps all sound on one side of the line. :)

Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

12 Sep 2016

How do you make these animated gifs? Very nice :thumbs_up:

MitchClark89

12 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:Check your SSL input signal flow. There's a chance you have the EQ/Filter before insert FXs.
hello can i please ask you about this ? when i read your reply i decided to check my own signal chain and i have DYN/EQ/INSERT. is there a benefit in going to insert fx and then eq versus sending the desired (eq'd) signal to the insert fx ? it seem a little bit like chicken and egg to me but my understanding of audio is not very great sorry

thank you!

Abstrax

12 Sep 2016

MitchClark89 wrote:
Abstrax wrote:Check your SSL input signal flow. There's a chance you have the EQ/Filter before insert FXs.
hello can i please ask you about this ? when i read your reply i decided to check my own signal chain and i have DYN/EQ/INSERT. is there a benefit in going to insert fx and then eq versus sending the desired (eq'd) signal to the insert fx ? it seem a little bit like chicken and egg to me but my understanding of audio is not very great sorry

thank you!
Like almost everything, it depends on the situation. Ask 10 people this question and you might get 10 different answers.

In this situation, my guess is he had distortion on the insert FX creating those low frequencies. EQ before the distortion could be the best option if you only want the Mids & Highs distorted. The distortion (inserted) before the eq could change the sound because the lower frequencies go through the insert as well. Possibly leading to a more distorted sound with less low frequencies because the High Pass filter is last.

For me, a more subtle dilemma is the decision between, compression--->EQ or EQ--->compression. I just try to use my semi untrained ears and hope for the best. Just my 2 cents :lol:

fieldframe
RE Developer

12 Sep 2016

Marco Raaphorst wrote:How do you make these animated gifs? Very nice :thumbs_up:
I use Giphy Capture. While it is Giphy branded, it can also save normally (there's just a big Giphy button in it like the big Allihoopa button in Reason :) ).

MitchClark89

13 Sep 2016

Abstrax wrote:
MitchClark89 wrote:

thank you!
Like almost everything, it depends on the situation. Ask 10 people this question and you might get 10 different answers.

In this situation, my guess is he had distortion on the insert FX creating those low frequencies. EQ before the distortion could be the best option if you only want the Mids & Highs distorted. The distortion (inserted) before the eq could change the sound because the lower frequencies go through the insert as well. Possibly leading to a more distorted sound with less low frequencies because the High Pass filter is last.

For me, a more subtle dilemma is the decision between, compression--->EQ or EQ--->compression. I just try to use my semi untrained ears and hope for the best. Just my 2 cents :lol:
a good reply man thank you! yes i agree with you. my ears = :(

househoppin09

13 Sep 2016

Something I've always wondered and never gotten around to asking--on the SSL, does moving inserts pre EQ also move where the sends are tapped from? I've looked high and low and have never found a definitive answer--what point in the channel's signal chain does Reason's SSL mixer tap the Sends from, exactly?

scifunk

14 Sep 2016

Inserts pre and dynamics post EQ

I rarely use the SSL EQ or any insert EQ preferring to use parallel channels for boosting and find the SSL or D Filter enough to shape the sound cuts wise. I then use the SSL channel comp set at infinity/fastest release then dial in a small amount of secondary compression to any inserts as a final 'control. I find this gives me a lot less 'surprises' at the mastering stage.

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2016

househoppin09 wrote:Something I've always wondered and never gotten around to asking--on the SSL, does moving inserts pre EQ also move where the sends are tapped from? I've looked high and low and have never found a definitive answer--what point in the channel's signal chain does Reason's SSL mixer tap the Sends from, exactly?
Sends are normally "post everything" tapped directly after the mute button, best I can tell. Sends can also be pre or post fader, but are always post-everything else. All of the other channel routing takes place before the sends are tapped. This means you ALWAYS hear all inserts/EQ/dynamics on your sends.

Selig Audio, LLC

househoppin09

14 Sep 2016

Thanks selig! It's a big relief to finally have that cleared up--strange that it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the official documentation though. I take it the same also applies to the Mixer 14:2 and Line Mixer 6:2, with the sends on those also being tapped post-EQ and post-fader on the 14:2 and post-level-knob on the 6:2?

selig
RE Developer

14 Sep 2016

househoppin09 wrote:Thanks selig! It's a big relief to finally have that cleared up--strange that it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere in the official documentation though. I take it the same also applies to the Mixer 14:2 and Line Mixer 6:2, with the sends on those also being tapped post-EQ and post-fader on the 14:2 and post-level-knob on the 6:2?
Yes, that is how I understand it.

The only case to be made for tapping sends from earlier is for live sound, where you use your early tapped sends for monitors. That way you can use a compressor or EQ without upsetting feedback levels, since the EQ and compression happens AFTER the monitor tap. But otherwise, you want them post everything or post everything but fader.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

househoppin09

14 Sep 2016

Makes perfect sense, thank you!

• Information