*Updated* POLL: What's the Main Thing Keeping You From Working in Reason 100%

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.

POLL: What's the Main Thing Keeping You From Working in Reason 100%

No Video Support
8%
No VST Support (pigs will fly before this happens btw)
15%
Not Able to Create Musical Scores / Notation, etc.
1%
Your Favorite VST / AudioUnit is not ported to the RE format (Serum, Spire, FabFilter, etc.)
10%
No Clip Launching (a la Ableton)
5%
Reason Won't Write Your Next Masterpiece Adored by Millions of Fans for YOU
No votes
You LIKE the Workflow of others DAWs better
5%
You LIKE using multiple DAWs to do your thing
4%
You are a bitter bitter person and nothing can satisfy you, you find fault in all things
2%
I already work in Reason 100%
39%
Other (please list in the comments what this is)
11%

Total votes: 115
MannequinRaces

23 Sep 2016

*Update 1* - added poll option for people who already work in Reason 100% of the time.

POLL: What's the Main Thing Keeping You From Working in Reason 100% of the Time

Definition of Working in Reason 100% = you do not use any other SOFTWARE to work on tracks, songs, sound design, mixing, mastering, etc. Using outboard gear does not matter.

I will add more options if need be and you will be able to change your vote to best reflect your MAIN reason for not working in Reason 100%.

This poll is mainly for the folks that want to stay 100% in the box with Reason, for those of you that don't mind working with multiple DAWs this poll is no disrespect to you. After all, software is only tools that allow us to create a means to whatever end we desire.
Last edited by MannequinRaces on 24 Sep 2016, edited 2 times in total.

jonheal

23 Sep 2016

This is a poll people using Reason 100% can't answer.
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

Skullture

23 Sep 2016

I'm really missing the point of video support :redface:

Cyclic79

23 Sep 2016

Skullture wrote:I'm really missing the point of video support :redface:
Post-production ;)

chk071

23 Sep 2016

No votes for "You are a bitter bitter person and nothing can satisfy you, you find fault in all things" yet? :P
:reason: :rebirth:

Pinkbox

23 Sep 2016

chk071 wrote:No votes for "You are a bitter bitter person and nothing can satisfy you, you find fault in all things" yet? :P
Done. This pool does not satisfy me.

motuscott

23 Sep 2016

Poppy no likes it.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

dvdrtldg

23 Sep 2016

I love Reason, but for editing it's a comparatively blunt instrument. Doesn't come close to something like Steinberg's WaveLab, which is what I use for fine editing work (and some mastering, the new plugins in WL9 are insane)

HepCat

23 Sep 2016

Need more than 1 choice.

However, l chose "Other", to wit:

H e a d p h o n e C u e

I've been waiting 13 years (?) for it. I've been earbashing this forum about it for 3 weeks now l think. I mean, proper headphone cue, where you can booth Send FX as well.

Other reasons l go to other DAWs:

Essentials:
- Need a cogent uncluttered zoom modus operandi for sequencer editing. Copy Acid Pro or for that matter, Audacity. Especially vertical zoom. Regardless of keyboard shortcuts, when l'm live l don't want to be seen typing + l don't want to click wrong button with mouse (want clutter-free).
- Need to be able to paste blocks during live playback, in sequencer.
- Need to host ReWire.

If you implemented the above simple changes (i mean, some dude working off his own steam has brought out Executioner as a Rack Extension for circa £15, and that looks like it could solve my headphone cue problems, except l'd need to upgrade, and l can't afford to, which brings me on to the first point in "Other Reasons"), l believe:
- I would ditch Reaper 5 (*if* you made ReWire simple, unlike how Reaper does it, which feels like an application from to become POTUS) (l'd still probably keep Reaper, ya know, for giggles, it has a load of FX that l may want, and it serves as a platform for VSTs, and can sync video?)
- I would perhaps also ditch Ableton Live 8 (important that l mention this because Reason not having clip launch was one of the questionnaire options. Well, hmm, Dr OctoRex [+ controlled by Sequencer] functions as a clip launcher + beat mangler, surely? At the end of the day, amount of work = same on either DAW if you want clip launch)

Other reasons:
- Need laissez-faire licensing, to wit: if you've upgraded once already, never pay again. I want security, knowing that you've got my back.
- Regarding VST: l understand that you're the BlackBerry of DAWs, you've got your own tight integration with Rack Extensions, and it works, you won't give me crashes during a live performance.
Even if you adapted to VSTs, the implementation may be buggy, and the VSTs themselves may be buggy. But BlackBerries are fine being a fortress, whereas in digital music, you need to interlock with allsorts of gear and software. What l mean is you may need to bla bla l don't need to go on, it's all been said and tbh l don't even use VSTs so l don't care too much :)
- Can l just also suggest adding MIDI controllability to the slice selection dial, slice pitch dial, and slice reverse dial in Dr. OctoRex?
- Need ganged faders, for live music and even studio sessions where you just want to catch a groove while jamming live.
- Audiophiles on here have suggested a small number of what they deem essential changes to their studio workflows (l'm really only concerned with live workflows).

Conclusion:
Pretty big deal to be taking in Ableton and Reaper customers, but yep you might get me to ditch those 2 DAWs. I am still loyal to them but speaking objectively, Reaper has little live capability, l just use it as a cheap, sane, cogent sequencer with untapped other potential, and Ableton is decent live and tbh l may have to ditch Reason for Ableton until l can afford to upgrade Reason, l mean l can afford to upgrade already but l'd feel horrible about doing so until you've at least gone up to version 10, and even then you'd have to have all 3 of my essential requests above otherwise sorry i won't upgrade.

Btw, Propellerheads, if you want somebody to help plan and test a live setup, hit me up.

guitfnky

23 Sep 2016

there should be an option for those of us who DO work 100% within Reason. I chose Other, because that wasn't an option.
I write music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

kuhliloach

23 Sep 2016

I chose the video choice because I use a video editor (Vegas) in addition to having Reason installed. Coincidentally Vegas has an odd history as being a DAW, but that's another matter for some rainy day. Truth be told, I do use Reason 100% as far as DAW's are concerned, with dBpoweramp for convenient MP3 conversion.

swamptooth

23 Sep 2016

Right now, other - specifically lack of NRPN handling for hardware synths.

talex

23 Sep 2016

Can you build a whole home with your favorite hammer?

kitekrazy

23 Sep 2016

Simple stuff like drag an drop midi, change instrument on a track. All DAWs do this except for Reason.

joeyluck

23 Sep 2016

kitekrazy wrote:change instrument on a track. All DAWs do this except for Reason.
You can drag and drop any instrument or instrument patch on top of another instrument in the Rack or Sequencer to replace it. What is it you are talking about?

Jmax

23 Sep 2016

Seems like an odd poll, considering this site is for people that USE Reason. Why would it need to be 100% of the time anyway.

JCBendock

24 Sep 2016

Skullture wrote:I'm really missing the point of video support :redface:
To become viable to the 100s of millions of video professionals world wide who use music and audio every day in their projects. Honestly when was the last time you watched a video that didn't have sound?

I would bet that video production is the largest sector of the creative professional world that use DAWs on a daily basis. I would go as far to say that in the professional world DAWs are used more for the production of music and audio, purposed for distribution by video then for any other distribution.

Just think every semi pro to pro video on youtube, the web, every television network in the world and every corporation in the world that produce video for in house distribution. Now to help with scale imagine the amount of shows that air just in one hour across all those medians. Nearly every one of those uses a DAW, they just don't use Reason, now multiply that by 24 for the amount of hours in a day and then add to it every commercial ever made.

But yeah other than that there probably is no real point.

SteveDiverse

24 Sep 2016

I'm 100% Reason.

* I don't make money from it - I'm just a 'dabbler'.

Reason just works for me a a hobbyist.
:reason: :reload: :record: :ignition: :refill: :re: | :rt: FTW

platzangst

24 Sep 2016

Other: Current RE SDK does not allow sample loading, meaning some sample-based methods of synthesis are impossible or impractical inside Reason.

MannequinRaces

24 Sep 2016

Jmax wrote:Seems like an odd poll, considering this site is for people that USE Reason. Why would it need to be 100% of the time anyway.
Because I'm curious how many people would stay in the box if people's MAIN thing was addressed (feature added). As stated above I mean no disrespect to people who use Reason and also work in other DAWs.

MannequinRaces

24 Sep 2016

Well dammit I updated the poll and it got rid of all the votes... :( Please vote again! I had no idea updating the poll would reset the whole shebang.

MannequinRaces

24 Sep 2016

HepCat wrote:Need more than 1 choice.
No you don't. I'm looking for people's MAIN thing only... not a plethora of things. This isn't supposed to be a batch fest about what people think is wrong with Reason. We all know it has its shortcomings but so do other DAWs out there.

Creativemind

24 Sep 2016

1 thing stopping me from using Reason 100%, try 20 things.

You missed off:-

SDK III with Sample / Impulse Loading etc
Delay Compensation
Better more advanced Midi Editing
Audiowarp
Punch In / Out
Freezing of Tracks
Granular Synth with Sample Loading
Scalable Rack
Mixer Features (Ganged Faders / Collapsable Channels etc)
Reason as Rewire Master
Combinator Update
Thor Update
Kong Update

:-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

HepCat

24 Sep 2016

MannequinRaces wrote:
HepCat wrote:Need more than 1 choice.
No you don't. I'm looking for people's MAIN thing only... not a plethora of things. This isn't supposed to be a batch fest about what people think is wrong with Reason. We all know it has its shortcomings but so do other DAWs out there.
Sorry. i know it's your wendyhouse :) (hard to quantify i.e. rank, qualitative differences sometimes)

Peace :thumbs_up:

HepCat

24 Sep 2016

Also, regarding the poll option:
"Reason Won't Write Your Next Masterpiece Adored by Millions of Fans for YOU"

Whut's wrong with software doing it all for you? Man built the machine and coded the software, no more work need necessarily be done by man, except a button press to initiate song creation. It's still a statement of sorts.

• Information