Still on 6 goin to 9: Guitarist seek EHX type Modu/ FX?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
calebbrennan

13 Sep 2016

Here's the Question
I'm a gigantic fan of Electro harmonix for my guitar sound? And the half rack chorus in R6 is either dysfunctional or I am. I

My question is are there better modulation effects/ chorus/ flanger/ resonant filters

will I have to buy rack extensions for that?

That's ok, but would like some recomendations

I've been with Propheads since R3.
Ditched Cubase when I could record audio because I'm a vocalist guitarist singer songwriter

at the same time I learned how to Program synths with a Seq Circ pro-one and roland 606
Went through the list of poorly laid out programs (for my mind

Nothing compares to Reason simplicty and stablity.

calebbrennan

13 Sep 2016

Is there a Rack Extension company emulating the classic Ehx sounds

Like the Echo was obvious modeling of the Echoplex

tiker01

13 Sep 2016

Chenille is an interesting chorus. But you can try any Res for 30 days so you can decide if it is one you are after.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Vince-Noir-99

13 Sep 2016

As far as stock devices, from 6 to 9, I don't believe there's much difference. You should know Pulveriser which is already an amazing multi-functional device for filtering, distortion and FM/AM/Comb modulation. If you don't love it, I kindly urge you to explore it more because it is jolly.
Oh wait! Probably by upgrading to 9 you'll get RV7000mkII with impulse responses. As a guitarist, that's a huge bonus, not only for reverbs, but amps, cabinets or whatever device (a pickup or guitar resonance IR...).

In general, when building your own guitar FX, one advice is to consider filtering/eq'ing before and after a certain core signal alteration (whether it is saturation or time based modulation etc). This is mainly what makes boxes different from one another. Especially for distortion, experiment splitting the signal into multiple paths with band pass filters and clip them in different ways, then mix them back together. Try the saturation stages of Malström and Thor, they are exquisite. Scream should also never be underestimated, especially 2 in series. If you like EH Micro Synth, Thor and Neptune can do that very well.

There are two particular REs I recommend which in my opinion can not be replicated with stock devices:

1) Polar: harmonising/pitching/shimmering/chorusing FX.

2) Echobode: time/frequency based modulation (chorus, flanger, phaser, ring/freq mod).

Additionally, the Primal Audio filters are quite awesome (they have a lovely saturation).
In distortion land, I guess D16 Devastor is probably the fanciest one.

Loque

13 Sep 2016

If you upgrade, you would have the new pitch edit for vocals. That could be interesting for singers.

I dont know your amp, but Kuassa has several amps that produces good sounds. Also the Revival synth has great FX that can be used by other audio signals outside the synth.

For Chorus Chenille is great, but fiddly. DC-2 is nice and warm. Ninety Phaser, T2 and JPS Filter bank is also sweet. Steerpike and LeSpace have some chorus like effects.

For stock devices you should know Scream4, shaping with Thor or Malstroem, Pulverizer and there are lots of other distortion devices available, also as REs. And finally someone created a refill that emulates amps only by stock devices. Also note, that Thor has a build-in chorus and filters that can be used from outside.
Last edited by Loque on 13 Sep 2016, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

chrischrischris

13 Sep 2016

Hi,

Echobode does a great "Small Stone" Phaser. The Patch is called "Small Clone" but it's Phaser not Chorus!
The is an effectsboard RE but I haven't tried it. No doubt the distortion will sound like The "Big Muff"? Maybe not.

Chris

MannequinRaces

13 Sep 2016

Why not run your guitar through your pedalboard and record directly into Reason?!?! Forget software emulations of effects you already have, use the real thing!

calebbrennan

17 Sep 2016

Thank you all for responding

MannequinRaces :

"Why not run your guitar through your pedalboard and record directly into Reason?!?! Forget software emulations of effects you already have, use the real thing!"
----------------------------------------------------------

That would be too simple ( Joking)

Truth is I don't have a lot of the old pedals I once had
they have either been stolen or stopped working / unrepairable
and the cost of buying all of them is too much at this time.
I'm more focused on composition and recording than playing live at this time

I see the architecture in Reason could achieve the same thing with more versatility.
And I appreciate the responses to that end.

calebbrennan

18 Sep 2016

Loque
Your response was helpful thanks for the recommendations.

I'll look into the Kuasa and revival Amps.I’ve been using R6 with line6 amps but in the last few years have been turning them off on most rhythm guitar and using scream and.

[quoteLoque][If you upgrade, you would have the new pitch edit for vocals. That could be interesting for singers. ]

I have not upgraded for a while now because I like to keep it simple and focus on the song
The reason I decided to upgrade was being able to use rack extensions which R6 cannot do
Seligs leveler and D-esser and the advanced pitch correction sealed the deal

calebbrennan

18 Sep 2016

For stock devices you should know Scream4,

I know the architecture Of R6 really well,.. I know about multiple screams

And I’ve spent days trying to program an octavia
i have attainned Hendrix- Adrian Belew but it missing high transients

And using the Pulvirizer and to create wailing

calebbrennan

18 Sep 2016

Vince-Noir-99
Beatmake
“In general, when building your own guitar FX, one advice is to consider filtering/eq'ing before and after a certain core signal alteration (whether it is saturation or time based modulation etc). This is mainly what makes boxes different from one another. Especially for distortion, experiment splitting the signal into multiple paths with band pass filters and clip them in different ways, then mix them back together.

Good one

calebbrennan

18 Sep 2016

I'm amazed that no one is selling " combinator patchs" that sound like legendary guit pedals

Big muff. Electric mistress, Octavia

This is a market opportunity for anyone with programming prowess to appeal to Guitarists/

I know the architecture of how to do it,...with scream neptune and pulverizor.

I think RE guitarist are shorted with the amount of patches- a 10 to 1 ratio

Example, I tried to program a vibrato in Thor for my Guit I succeeded

and it sucked

bmarsh

18 Sep 2016

Have you checked these out?: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/rockmen- ... available/ -- http://melodiefabriek.com/shop/boutique-amp/

The Rockmen Refill seems to be what you might be looking for, but both are highly recommended and very affordable. Great stuff from Marco!
"The end is built into the beginning" - Charlie Kaufman

calebbrennan

19 Sep 2016

Thanks Bmarsh

Great tip

... demo's sound great for bluesy slightly over driven sound
I'm going to buy it, even if its just to see his signal path/

calebbrennan

19 Sep 2016

I messed around tonight with a guitar track running into Pulverizor and through Thor.

Though I have used thor as a synth for years and used stock sounds I may have tweaked.

There is not much in the manual about using a Guitar as " The source"\

Here's my Question. What parts of the Thor filters are unavailable / avialable using audio input.

What is wrong with my signal path when I can get some of the filters but not all.

Pardon my ignorance

Audio signal is oscillator

Loque

19 Sep 2016

calebbrennan wrote:I messed around tonight with a guitar track running into Pulverizor and through Thor.

Though I have used thor as a synth for years and used stock sounds I may have tweaked.

There is not much in the manual about using a Guitar as " The source"\

Here's my Question. What parts of the Thor filters are unavailable / avialable using audio input.

What is wrong with my signal path when I can get some of the filters but not all.

Pardon my ignorance

Audio signal is oscillator
Connect your audio source to the audio inputs on the back. Than route those audio inputs with the modulation matrix (dont froget the amount) into the filter. Note, that the filter 1 is mono, so you may need 2 Thors. I am not sure atm, but the filter 1 may require a note trigger by using the sequencer or a constant signal on the note and gate.
Reason12, Win10

calebbrennan

20 Sep 2016

I watched James Bernard at 3:00 to 5:30 of this video a million times but he goes so fast

I've set up Audio track lead guitar going to thor and have successfully enable filter 3.

Wowzie - Very cool

But can't get filters 1 and 2 to engage, even when I route them like he said

I've opened the gate using his suggestion of putting the sequencer on repeat
(I'll try sequencing an ongoing note)

Still when I try to choose "destination" to 1 or 2 all I get is the parameters.

What am I doing wrong?

Loque

20 Sep 2016

calebbrennan wrote:I watched James Bernard at 3:00 to 5:30 of this video a million times but he goes so fast

I've set up Audio track lead guitar going to thor and have successfully enable filter 3.

Wowzie - Very cool

But can't get filters 1 and 2 to engage, even when I route them like he said

I've opened the gate using his suggestion of putting the sequencer on repeat
(I'll try sequencing an ongoing note)

Still when I try to choose "destination" to 1 or 2 all I get is the parameters.

What am I doing wrong?
Post your routing and the mod matrix and filter settings.
Reason12, Win10

Marco Raaphorst

20 Sep 2016

The Pulveriser can do all sorts of modulation effects using the comb filter in combination with the tremor.

stratatonic

20 Sep 2016

Try these vids. Hope it helps. :)

calebbrennan

21 Sep 2016

Thanks everybody for the input, I finally made progress on engaging Thor filters 1 and 2. And it was not about the Mod Matrix

In summary I've been able to to route audio to filter 3 easy
Source / Audio input 1/ 100%/ Filter 3 Left/ 100%

However when I choose the same path with one variation of Filt1 as destination
I heard nothing.

Source / Audio input 1/ 100%/ Filter1:Audio input/ 100%

The trick not covered in tutorial videos was the three arrows beneath the shaper section and Amp /Gain to the right of it. These arrows decide a signal path not in the matrix to my knowledge and for some reason the amp gain needs to be higher .

Thor is named for a powerful Nordic God , it can also be a Maze you can lost in. But I'm enjoying demystifying it at least a little bit.

Another questsion ; When I'm routing to Dest: filter 3, (The Brown section to the right) I get the delay and chorus..(Yes! Much better chorus than the RE half rack and may be all I need)
yet the Global ADSR and LFO below have no effect?

I'm certain I need to study the Mod Matrix more fully: this thing can probably do way more than I know but in the meantime I appreciate input, it actually inspires to go back and read the manual/ help sections

calebbrennan

25 Sep 2016

Vince-Noir-99
If you like EH Micro Synth, Thor and Neptune can do that very well.

Can you give an example?

I've successfully processed my guitar through thor and Maelstrum using filters and saturation.

Very cool.

but the Amplitude ADSR has little effect when I adjust
i'm unable to have slow gain on the volume attack

Also using the neptune in series sounds ridiculous with its pitch shifting

It sounds from advice here,... like I have to spider everything out

Marco Raaphorst

25 Sep 2016

calebbrennan wrote:Vince-Noir-99
If you like EH Micro Synth, Thor and Neptune can do that very well.

Can you give an example?

I've successfully processed my guitar through thor and Maelstrum using filters and saturation.

Very cool.

but the Amplitude ADSR has little effect when I adjust
i'm unable to have slow gain on the volume attack

Also using the neptune in series sounds ridiculous with its pitch shifting

It sounds from advice here,... like I have to spider everything out
Try to use the Follower of Pulveriser and set the Attack very low. And connect the CV on the back (mod output of the Follower to the mod input of the Volume). I made a tutorial for it a while ago in my Pulveriser series: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/finger-o ... ulveriser/

calebbrennan

26 Sep 2016

Marco

Thank you

You are the Man! Good job

I followed the diagram in the 3rd "screen shot" picture on your tutorial. Of using the cv spider and the Pulverizer

http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/finger-o ... ulveriser/ 0
Marco Raaphorst

Hooray!
And I was able to get the slow attack on the guitar I was looking for by turning the +/- button "follower to frequency" all the way down.

Great Job

I now have that EHX guit synth patch swell I was looking for.

I Have been trying to do that for years,

when I said I know the architecture of Reason very well I guess I was delusional

Haha- I guess I'm more visually oriented which is why I like REASON

Sure I read your instructions, but seeing the screen shot you posted and imitating the signal path

was the most informative,

calebbrennan

26 Sep 2016

Marco
Next up" getting the neptune to do a believable octave up / down :on this signal

then you have decent EHX Guit Synth simulation

though I've used the spider audio splitter I've never programmed with the cv spider

Learning curve here

• Information