R9 DSP issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Shokstar

04 Oct 2016

I think R9 has some DSP issues.

I worked on a new track and had over 20 tracks full with Synths and the DSP scratched near the end. I bounced each clip and deleted all Synths in my rack to save some DSP usage but unfortunately has I won only a few DSP bars down to the half.

Why is this happen? In R8 was it cool because the wave files was streamed during the playback. Maybe it has something to do with the new pitch edit algorithm or something similar.

Has someone an idea why the dsp management isn't the same like R8?

Loque

04 Oct 2016

Did you deleted your most-CPU-hungry tracks+REs? Did you disabled stretch algorithm? Does realy Reason produces the workload (check your taskmanager)?
Reason12, Win10

Drawat
Competition Winner

04 Oct 2016

Reason 9.0 was fine on my PC, but after the 9.1 update (the Ableton Link thing), i noticed that Reason seems to be more CPU hungry than before.
Some heavy tracks that plays ok on 9.0 are now stuttering with the "Computer too slow" message. I don't know, after 8 years maybe it's time for a new PC. :?

Shokstar

04 Oct 2016

Loque wrote:Did you deleted your most-CPU-hungry tracks+REs? Did you disabled stretch algorithm? Does realy Reason produces the workload (check your taskmanager)?
This can be the troublemaker. I haven't disabled the stretch algorithm because I've never issues with that in older Reason versions.

Will try it out when I get home.

Shokstar

04 Oct 2016

Okay the issue is till there after disabling all audio tracks

ProfessaKaos

06 Oct 2016

Shokstar wrote:I think R9 has some DSP issues.

I worked on a new track and had over 20 tracks full with Synths and the DSP scratched near the end. I bounced each clip and deleted all Synths in my rack to save some DSP usage but unfortunately has I won only a few DSP bars down to the half.

Why is this happen? In R8 was it cool because the wave files was streamed during the playback. Maybe it has something to do with the new pitch edit algorithm or something similar.

Are you on a Windows 10 system?

Shokstar

06 Oct 2016

I´m on OSX latest version.

WongoTheSane

06 Oct 2016

I don't have a Mac, but is it possible it's related to the audio problems in El Capitan, that could be triggered by R9 and not by R8? On Windows, there is no DSP difference between R8 and R9.

http://cdm.link/2016/09/real-apple-news ... xed-month/

"the current release, 10.11 El Capitan, has had serious audio issues for a wide variety of users since it came out last fall. While not universal, it frequently has audio dropouts and playback problems with external audio interfaces."

Shokstar

06 Oct 2016

True, El captain isn't a good OSX for audio users at the moment. My Motu interface isn't correct working under this OSX at the moment. Drop outs, not detecting the audio interface via USB etc. The plug n play feeling is gone since the El Captain release also many other USB devices has serval issues reported.

ProfessaKaos

06 Oct 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:On Windows, there is no DSP difference between R8 and R9.
Definitely not what I've been experiencing, there is quite a difference over all 3 of my Windows 10 systems.

WongoTheSane

06 Oct 2016

ProfessaKaos wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:On Windows, there is no DSP difference between R8 and R9.
Definitely not what I've been experiencing, there is quite a difference over all 3 of my Windows 10 systems.
I'm on Windows 7, so the OS might have something to do with it? Or maybe a driver problem?

EnochLight

08 Oct 2016

Shokstar wrote:I think R9 has some DSP issues.

Audio recordings are still streamed during playback; no changes there. The new pitch editor scans audio files once - assuming you save the project after it's done, it won't analyze them every time you open the project.

That said, I'm not experiencing the phenomenon you describe. Reason 9.1 seems to work about on-par as 8 did for me. Slightly slower, but hardly noticeable for the most part.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

gak

09 Oct 2016

Drawat wrote:Reason 9.0 was fine on my PC, but after the 9.1 update (the Ableton Link thing), i noticed that Reason seems to be more CPU hungry than before.
Some heavy tracks that plays ok on 9.0 are now stuttering with the "Computer too slow" message. I don't know, after 8 years maybe it's time for a new PC. :?
For me, it was 8 - 8.2 perfectly fine, then 8.3 not so much, then 9 not as good as 8.3. (but that was the beta)

Seems there is something a miss with that. If you look at the "stress test" thread, you'll see the progression where that test went from doable (though I wasn't happy) to completely un-usable.

The pickier the system, the more trouble people have. My theory is that they do this on purpose to keep forcing people to upgrade thus supporting the industry. But it never ends. Every single host is different.

fieldframe
RE Developer

10 Oct 2016

Not sure if this is related or if this should get its own thread, but I've noticed lately that Reason 9.1 will often hover around one bar of DSP... with nothing playing. :?

I first noticed it with eXpanse, but now it seems to be happening with Predator as well. If I delete all the eXpanses and Predators in a project, the DSP will drop back to zero, but in regular usage, on some projects it just hovers there at one bar, completely idle.

gak

10 Oct 2016

I don't think that is off-base at all. And I know what you mean (even though many others don't)

There was a time, when if I hit 2 bars, I was bummed. Now, it's "can the song make it"

A couple of things (and I'm sure props don't care, like presonus) first, the GUI/graphics card is stranger than fiction. I can have a decent project and then move the rack and "oooops" crazy CPU issues. Second, clearly, they have gone awry. How do I know? They have tried to "fix" the CPU issue in a fairly recent update (though I can't remember which one) and I think it was better, for a while.

Not a coder. Can't say specifically why, but like the complete lack of workflow updates, I guess they don't care.

Or, it's just gak, who knows NOTHING and is just complaining (even though I praise when things are good) ;)

• Information