Weird latency issue just started happen

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MitchClark89

30 Sep 2016

hello everyone

i am sorry for another nubby question

recently i was playing around with the audio pref in reason and experimented with a lower sample rate just to see if any difference. i went down to 256 and 128 but not for very long as i was only just playing kong with a beatstep and didnt erally notice any differnce. however when i change back to 512 (11ms input and 12ms output compensation as standard setting) i am now noticing a definite lag between pressing a pad on beatstep and hearing the sound. it is probably about 30ms or somethign although it is hard for me to say exactly :?

also when recording vocals now there is a signifcant latency issue and i have to drag the vocal track back in time with my song.

i am using a focusrite 2i2 and just the beatstep and novation launchkey. i had ozone maximzer on the track but am bypassing just to troubleshoot and everything else is standard, the project is very small only about half a dozen instruments (reason instruments and audio tracks) and i am use imac 2011.

this is a very annoying problem to have as i cant even play drums in to my track while it is playing as the latency makes it impossible to stay in time unless i am a robot looool :lol:

please to help me reason fam

mitch

MitchClark89

03 Oct 2016

:oops: this going to sound soo dumb but after trying everything remove send fx bypass compresosrs etc and no change i got very frustrated and shut down reason completely. when i come back few days later and start up the project again, latency is gone :shock: :lol: i guess maybe jiust a system overload or leaving reason open for too long without shutting down as sometime i notice it go crackly and a bit unstable when left open with prokect for few days.

i am a bit embarrassed lol

ThisIsNotTheMusic

03 Oct 2016

We all have to start somewhere! There is so much to learn, don't ever be embarrassed about asking a 'dumb question' , the users on here are really incredibly helpful. They have answered many a dumb question of mine!
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

MitchClark89

04 Oct 2016

ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:We all have to start somewhere! There is so much to learn, don't ever be embarrassed about asking a 'dumb question' , the users on here are really incredibly helpful. They have answered many a dumb question of mine!
yes you are totally right! thank you

also i just listened to a few of your songs on soundcloud. very chilled and interested grooves, i liked them :thumbs_up:

ThisIsNotTheMusic

04 Oct 2016

MitchClark89 wrote:
ThisIsNotTheMusic wrote:We all have to start somewhere! There is so much to learn, don't ever be embarrassed about asking a 'dumb question' , the users on here are really incredibly helpful. They have answered many a dumb question of mine!
yes you are totally right! thank you

also i just listened to a few of your songs on soundcloud. very chilled and interested grooves, i liked them :thumbs_up:
Hey thanks man, I really appreciate that! :reason: I have only been using Reason for a couple of months but I find it pretty easy to get the hang of ... I'm sure you are going to have a lot of fun with it.
https://soundcloud.com/hissotheusic

In space, no one can hear your song ....

jengstrom
Reason Studios

04 Oct 2016

Just a few points -- sample rate are the numbers like 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, that set the data rate for the audio signal converter.

Numbers like 128, 256, 512 are buffer sizes, that affect the minimum theoretical latency, DSP load spike tolerance and other things.

A higher sample rate uses more samples per second, which means proportionally more CPU cycles.
A higher buffer size gives better DSP load spike tolerance but higher latency.

jengstrom
Reason Studios

04 Oct 2016

...and also of course: Because buffer size is in samples, the buffer time in seconds changes with sample rate.
E.g. buffer size 256 at sample rate 44100 is 256/44100 seconds long, while buffer size 256 at sample rate 96000 is 256/96000 seconds long.

MitchClark89

05 Oct 2016

jengstrom wrote:Just a few points -- sample rate are the numbers like 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, that set the data rate for the audio signal converter.

Numbers like 128, 256, 512 are buffer sizes, that affect the minimum theoretical latency, DSP load spike tolerance and other things.

A higher sample rate uses more samples per second, which means proportionally more CPU cycles.
A higher buffer size gives better DSP load spike tolerance but higher latency.
hi jengstrom thank you for this information. i find it quite hard to understand all the techincal details such as these and your next post but i apprecaite your explanation. i accidentally wrote sample rate but i did mean buffer size, as you pointed out. for now i have settled on 256 at 48000. when i restarted reason the latency had gone again.

• Information