how to get more control over THOR sequencer patterns?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MitchClark89

10 Oct 2016

hello to everybody

i have been using a really cool patch in the thor sequencer run into matrix (filter 1 eq from thor into curve cv on matrix) which i like the sound of very much. what i find puzzling and frustrated is that the thor sequencer loop (set to repeat/random/note/4steps) changes the arpeggios (i think they are called) the longer the song is looped and sometimes they are different when i restart the loop from the first time. the problem is that i actual like the first 8 bars of this sequence but then it start to do the off notes within the sequence that i do not like so much.

is there a way to copy the sequencer pattern to midi track so that i could edit out the parts i do not want?

thank you for all help and suggestions as always

MC

Loque

11 Oct 2016

Check your LFOs in the mod matrix of Thor. Make them synced and reduce length to have always the same within a loop. But you should understand that this also changes the sound.
Reason12, Win10

MitchClark89

12 Oct 2016

Loque wrote:Check your LFOs in the mod matrix of Thor. Make them synced and reduce length to have always the same within a loop. But you should understand that this also changes the sound.
hi loque i just want to thank you for the tip. i played around with the lfos and sync setting but still couldnt get the pattern to stop randomly changing every now and again, i think the only way would be to take the pattern off random and set take pattern from first 4 steps and copy across the whole 16 and then isolate the one that is causing problem.

thank u again for helping

:thumbs_up:

Loque

12 Oct 2016

Filter EQ into Matrix CV? Can you please provide a picture of it or the patch? Than i will have a look into it.
Reason12, Win10

ljekio

13 Oct 2016

MitchClark89 wrote: is there a way to copy the sequencer pattern to midi track so that i could edit out the parts i do not want?
Yes, in the Reason 9 by Players. But only notes, curves not can.

Or if you have Reason higher 6.5 and virtual midi cable you can to make midi loopback with External MIDI device and record it into reason' sequencer track. With curves as MIDI CC (but with coarse print curves).

Loque

13 Oct 2016

ljekio wrote:
MitchClark89 wrote: is there a way to copy the sequencer pattern to midi track so that i could edit out the parts i do not want?
Yes, in the Reason 9 by Players. But only notes, curves not can.

Or if you have Reason higher 6.5 and virtual midi cable you can to make midi loopback with External MIDI device and record it into reason' sequencer track. With curves as MIDI CC (but with coarse print curves).
Right click Matrix and "Copy Pattern to Track"?
Reason12, Win10

ljekio

13 Oct 2016

Matrix?
I guess about Thor's sequencer.
And copy pattern cannot write CV curve into track.

MitchClark89

13 Oct 2016

helo to loque and ljekio

the cv curve cable was a part of the patch. i have actually bypassed the matrix to see if it stops producing the random ugly notes during the pattern, but it did not. here is what it looks like anyway:

Loque

14 Oct 2016

So you connected the Matrix TO Thor, i was a bit confused. Finally i still bet on the LFOs if they are not in sync or the Pattern length, Speed or Loop. But if it only changes after a longer play period, it is, well, weird. Maybe a Delay FX or any other FX?
Reason12, Win10

MitchClark89

14 Oct 2016

Loque wrote:So you connected the Matrix TO Thor, i was a bit confused. Finally i still bet on the LFOs if they are not in sync or the Pattern length, Speed or Loop. But if it only changes after a longer play period, it is, well, weird. Maybe a Delay FX or any other FX?
sorry loque for the confusion! i am not really that great with the technical side of reason. ps i am on reason 8. thank you again for your help, i will look again at the LFO and the other parameters that you have mentioned.

:)

praznovsky.m
Competition Winner

20 Oct 2016

Hello

Try to copy patch and in one of patches turn off thors sequencer and try by your ears to copy sequence from another thor. When it is just first 8 notes, then it dont waste so much time.

To eliminate strange sounds try to, like logue said, turn off delay, and set thors pitchwheel to 0 (matrix is modulating thors pitch wheel and delay could make some strange chords with pitched notes)

Random pattern is random, so the notes thor plays will be random. Good thing in this patch is, that thors sequencer plays only three different notes.

I hope, this helped you

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk

MitchClark89

20 Oct 2016

praznovsky.m wrote:Hello

Try to copy patch and in one of patches turn off thors sequencer and try by your ears to copy sequence from another thor. When it is just first 8 notes, then it dont waste so much time.

To eliminate strange sounds try to, like logue said, turn off delay, and set thors pitchwheel to 0 (matrix is modulating thors pitch wheel and delay could make some strange chords with pitched notes)

Random pattern is random, so the notes thor plays will be random. Good thing in this patch is, that thors sequencer plays only three different notes.

I hope, this helped you

Sent from my Lenovo A7000-a using Tapatalk
hello praznovksy :)

thank you for the detailed reply - i am going to try what you have suggested and i also appreciate your explanations about the mod wheel and matrix and the random patterns. i did not know much of these things and this is very helpful.

kind regards

MC

• Information