MIDI vs. Sequencer Control Information

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
dflynn

02 Nov 2016

Is the information received by an instrument via the Sequencer Control CV ports the same as the information it receives when the instrument is selected and played using a MIDI keyboard?

Thanks, Dave

Olivier

02 Nov 2016

Sortof..
The information that is being reconstructed after transmission is almost the same.. The way the information is transmitted differs.

MIDI:
Note on contains velocity and pitch.
Note off contains pitch and if available note off velocity.

CV:
Pitch CV sets pitch.
Gate CV opens a gate, in the reason world the level of the gate cv is used as velocity data.

MIDI control is polyphonic.
CV is monophonic.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

selig
RE Developer

02 Nov 2016

Also, a MIDI data stream can contain LOTS of additional information that CV does not.
Selig Audio, LLC

Olivier

02 Nov 2016

selig wrote:Also, a MIDI data stream can contain LOTS of additional information that CV does not.
Indeed, if you play it with a midi keyboard you can also expect other controller data like (polyphonic) aftertouch, various pedals, modulation and pitch bend wheel, program changes etc. Those can however also be send using CV.
The main theme is, midi encapsulates everything into one data stream. With CV you need 1 cable per signal that you want to transmit. In the end you get the same information albeit monofonic when cv is used; polyfonicpolyphonic when midi is used.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

dflynn

02 Nov 2016

Thanks for the responses. This is what I suspected. I'm trying to setup a MIDI Thru structure, but it seems I'm limited to CV using a device like RPG-8. I will try the External MIDI Instrument looped back via virtual cables.

• Information