Why aren't my Kong drum volumes responding to velocity?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
theAnt2002

02 Nov 2016

Hi All,

Please bear with me as I'm pretty new to reason.

I'm programming some beats in Kong, but when I draw in velocity ramps for some of the drums, the volume isn't increasing up or down with the velocity ramps, they remain constant at the same volume as though they are not responding the velocity info.

Is there any obvious reason for this, are only certain samples velocity sesitive, or does it need programming to respond. I can create a similar effect by using volume automation but this causes problems because its not linked to the note data.

Any help much appreciated! Thanks

theAnt2002

02 Nov 2016

OK, I've worked this out, when I load any kong patches based on NN Nano samples, I need to adjust the level dial under velocity to a positive value in order to respond to velocity. However, every time i want to load a new kit, the samples revert to a velocity level setting of 0% which means I need to re-programme to respond every time I load a new patch.

Also, I notice that when I load a new patch, it will reset all the drum outputs to the Master FX, meaning I have to re-route them all to sepparate channels again if I want to process drum sounds sepparately in the mixer.

Is there any way of just loading in the set samples when trying new drum kits to avoid having to adjust all these setting every time?

Benedict
Competition Winner

02 Nov 2016

Many drum kits will not have Velo programmed. I'm guessing this is so they have MAXIMUM impact on testing.

As for defaulting to Master Outs, that can be annoying but would be doubly annoying if the kit was programmed to sub-outs and you weren't using them so you had missing instruments.

If instead of loading whole kits, you can:
a) double click the sample in the NN you want to swap which should open your browser and allow you to swap that sample alone, leaving routings intact.
b) load one sound per Kong (or ReDrum) so your processing chains stay true.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

theAnt2002

02 Nov 2016

Thanks benedict, yes I guess I'll have to just load one sample at a time if I want velocity sensitive settings and routings intact. In many ways it makes more sense but it would be good to try patterns with different patches to experiment sometimes.

dvdrtldg

02 Nov 2016

theAnt2002 wrote:Thanks benedict, yes I guess I'll have to just load one sample at a time if I want velocity sensitive settings and routings intact. In many ways it makes more sense but it would be good to try patterns with different patches to experiment sometimes.
Agree. The Kong routing thing is a massive pain, probably the one thing I'd change in Reason if it had to be just one thing

theAnt2002

03 Nov 2016

Yes, it makes it in impractical to set up a pre-routed kong drum in your templates which would save aot of messing around.

I think a solution would be to include an output routing lock into the Kong which you could turn on or off so patches would either load patch routings or inherent them from kong accordingly.

MitchClark89

03 Nov 2016

if you have the individuals samples, create a nn nano sampler on each pad and load yoru indiviuals samples into the nano sampler of each pad and you wont loose routing. i was very happy when i learned this informations!

sorry if this answer does not help to the question :oops:

edit: i fotgot to say - save this as a kong patch after you have done all the routing of cable and panned all the pads L/R and loaded all the samplers. i learnt of this technique here on reasontalk forums!

Gorgon

04 Nov 2016

theAnt2002 wrote: Also, I notice that when I load a new patch, it will reset all the drum outputs to the Master FX, meaning I have to re-route them all to sepparate channels again if I want to process drum sounds sepparately in the mixer.

Is there any way of just loading in the set samples when trying new drum kits to avoid having to adjust all these setting every time?
Ah, you found the biggest flaw in Kong. Congratulations. :D
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

• Information