CV - Do you use it? I don't.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Dec 2016

Well I finally realised the CV stuff just isn't for me. I mean I've used it in a couple of songs for some basic vibrato effects, but that's it.
Other than that it just doesn't fit my workflow and I find it highly unintuitive when actually trying to write music. Everytime I try to get into it or watch videos of CV devices it's like my brain rejects it.
So I've given up on it. I'm better of spending my time focusing on what I do best, writing tunes instead of fiddling around with the technical stuff like CV, cables and shit. :)

For all you guys that are into the CV thing (which seems to be a lot of people), what is it that you like about it? I'm genuinely interested.
Does it actually improve your music or is it more about the fascination with the technical aspect, having fun geeking out?
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 09 Dec 2016, edited 1 time in total.

MitchClark89

09 Dec 2016

yes i also would like to know this. i have tried to learn a bit about it and what it can offer me (hobby bedroom producer) but it seems very techincal and i think i should just stay to writing music!

dioxide

09 Dec 2016

TritoneAddiction wrote:For all you guys that are into the CV thing (which seems to be a lot of people), what is that you like about it? I'm not asking in a condescending way, I'm genuinely interested.
I use it less today than I have in the past because REs mean I rarely have to build in-depth Combinators like I used to, but I still use CV in every song. One use is triggering other drum sounds from Redrum (Jackboxes or sampler/synths). I also use it to latch sequences on and off but if Reason ever adds Ableton style triggering I'll no longer do this, it's just this is the only way to do it right now. Apart from that I use it for LFO modulation of synths, for Matrix sequencers and for 'automating' filter sweeps, volume fades and autopanning.

So yeah I use CV loads. A lot of this stuff is workarounds and I wouldn't have to do them in Ableton as much of it is focussed on Reason's shortcomings on live arrangement and drumming. If you remove that there are still some thing I still prefer as CV such as LFOs and autopanning.
TritoneAddiction wrote:Does it actually improve your music or is it more about the fascination with the technical aspect, having fun geeking out?
I don't do tweakery for the sake of it, it is mostly focused around arrangement. I could write music is any software but I like the way Reason works and feels so I choose to do all these workarounds so I can stay entirely in Reason. Perhaps the only other software that has comparable arrangement capabilities to the way I work is Ableton and it doesn't allow the kind of free LFO routing that Reason does. Maybe Bitwig would but IMO there are many other benefits to Reason+REs so I have no plans to change.

Mostly I don't use CV for music expect for using the Matrix. Matrix into a Combi containing a Player+Instrument is a fun thing I have discovered recently, as you can't hit a 'wrong' note.

dioxide

09 Dec 2016

MitchClark89 wrote:yes i also would like to know this. i have tried to learn a bit about it and what it can offer me (hobby bedroom producer) but it seems very techincal and i think i should just stay to writing music!
Even if you write your music in the main sequencer there are things that you can do with CV. You still need to mix your music, so try running a Subtractor or Pulsar LFO into the Pan input on the back of a Mix Channel. Set the range to narrow using the knob next to the CV input socket. The advantage of this over using sequencer automation is that the LFO rate can be easily adjusted and even mapped to a MIDI control if you want to fine tune it.

You can try the same with Instruments by running a slow LFO into a filter input. Of course it depends on whether the sound suits this or not. If the sound is a bunch of atmospherics or a reverby sound you could use a very slow LFO to fade the volume up. Or you can use the LFO > Volume to create a gated or tremolo effect.

jfrichards

09 Dec 2016

When I have the time and inclination, I like to add CV modulated effects to a sound. For me it is liking and appreciating the ever-changing clouds in the sky and their effect on the lighting all around. Sometimes I don't care about how the sky looks and fully appreciate a cloudless day, sometimes I love the cloud formations and changes. CV can make "cloud changes" in the sounds of synths with LFOs especially. The Shape device can deepen and shake up a patch a lot, and if it is carefully synced with the tempo, can add power and accenting that gets people into the rhythm, sometimes like adding 3 percussionists. If you don't need to spice things up, then maybe you don't need CV, most music flourishes well without CV, but I find it useful and fun.

MitchClark89

09 Dec 2016

dioxide wrote:
MitchClark89 wrote:yes i also would like to know this. i have tried to learn a bit about it and what it can offer me (hobby bedroom producer) but it seems very techincal and i think i should just stay to writing music!
Even if you write your music in the main sequencer there are things that you can do with CV. You still need to mix your music, so try running a Subtractor or Pulsar LFO into the Pan input on the back of a Mix Channel. Set the range to narrow using the knob next to the CV input socket. The advantage of this over using sequencer automation is that the LFO rate can be easily adjusted and even mapped to a MIDI control if you want to fine tune it.

You can try the same with Instruments by running a slow LFO into a filter input. Of course it depends on whether the sound suits this or not. If the sound is a bunch of atmospherics or a reverby sound you could use a very slow LFO to fade the volume up. Or you can use the LFO > Volume to create a gated or tremolo effect.
:puf_smile: these sound like cool ideas and not super technical. thank you @dioxide i will try!

jayhosking

09 Dec 2016

For what it's worth, I don't think to use CV specifically. I just have a particular sound in mind (e.g. I have a pad and I think I want more texture/motion to it) and then use the tools Reason offers to get that sound. While different patches and REs have their own characteristic sound, sometimes imagination strikes, I can hear something particular/unique in my head, and the best way to find the sound is by wiring up the ol' CVs.

And then sometimes it's just fun to goof off, right? Sometimes plugging in cables leads to things I could have never envisioned.

Raveshaper

09 Dec 2016

I use CV to create strange waveforms by using Thor for audio conversion. I also use it for things like subtle pitch adjustment of high hats to keep things sounding organic. For me, anything that allows part of my sound to remain spontaneous or unexpected is an asset. The patch build process usually starts with a sound that I like, but ends with some degree of CV manipulation to bring out an organic or multifaceted feel.

In general, I focus on arrangement first but begin to create relationships between sounds via CV to push a bit further than the sequencer.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

rcbuse
RE Developer

09 Dec 2016

Totally biased here, but personally I view the CV side of reason to be one of its greatest assets. But, I like crazy ass sounds and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time manually automating parameters. I view CV as automated automation. Throw all devices in a combinator, put a bunch of lfos or whatever into the combinators CV inputs, and then send those CV inputs to the parameters of the devices. The more dynamic the CV, the crazier the devices sound. I then record record record and see what sticks.

And shape isn't necessary at all, just a few matrix curves, each with a different step length and tempo sync.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2016

Great answers guys. Reading your comments it obviously has a lot of good usages that I don't normally think about.

As a very non technical guy it confuses the heck out of me when I see people go nuts with all the routing in Reason. It's like my brain filters out a certain type of information. Everything I hear about mixing, arranging, even most music theory, the more philosophical side of music, different concepts, all of that goes right in and gets saved in my brain. But everytime I watch a video of someone showing any sort of technical/logical thing (CV, routings, combinators) my brain stops working.
I guess it's no coincidence that I like synths like Legend and Megasaur. Even a technical dummy like me can figure out what everything does.

Still it looks like there are benefits to learn more about CV, even if it's on a very basic level. So I'm probably gonna give it another chance later on when I get stuck in a rut. But for now I'll focus on songwriting, arranging, mixing and learning synths.

Loque

10 Dec 2016

I mostly use it for rythmic panning, dynamic EQs, side chaning conpressors, let one sound interact with another, slow modulated changes to have a differebce in the sound, control devices from another device, create complex FX chains... I like this feature, but i use it if it fits my needs, not just to use CV. And i am still learbing, eg using Rex loops as rythm generators for a synth...
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

10 Dec 2016

rcbuse wrote:I view the CV side of reason to be one of its greatest assets. But, I like crazy ass sounds and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time manually automating parameters. I view CV as automated automation. Throw all devices in a combinator, put a bunch of lfos or whatever into the combinators CV inputs, and then send those CV inputs to the parameters of the devices. The more dynamic the CV, the crazier the devices sound. I then record record record and see what sticks.
Same here. I like drones, evolving soundscapes and general sonic weirdness, and for that sort of thing CV is the pretty much the best thing about Reason. I love building large complex systems where everything is modulating everything else, then just sort of sitting back and tweaking to see what happens. The element of surprise is always a joy. Devices like PSQ-1684 and CV Tuner are great if you want to keep things within a defined harmonic series, it doesn't have to be pure randomness. I record "finished" ideas and then once I've got a few of them, dump them into WaveLab for a bit of mix & match cutting & pasting. Here's how it all can end up sounding (shameless plug):

QVprod

10 Dec 2016

I'm no extreme CV techie either. Don't understand the use of most of the cv devices in the shop. But I do use CV for automated automation. Stuff like auto panning hi hats with an LFO or automating pitch or velocity. It's a lot quicker to do that with midi automation. also works great for drum triggering such as using an RPG8 for note repeat on a Kong pad.

PhutureD

10 Dec 2016

I need to use cv , its necessary for me to create complex sounds , rhythms and modulations, favourite cv device has to be parametrix, it's paramount for extra combinator controls

PhutureD

10 Dec 2016

rcbuse wrote:Totally biased here, but personally I view the CV side of reason to be one of its greatest assets. But, I like crazy ass sounds and I'm lazy, so I'm not going to spend a bunch of time manually automating parameters. I view CV as automated automation. Throw all devices in a combinator, put a bunch of lfos or whatever into the combinators CV inputs, and then send those CV inputs to the parameters of the devices. The more dynamic the CV, the crazier the devices sound. I then record record record and see what sticks.

And shape isn't necessary at all, just a few matrix curves, each with a different step length and tempo sync.
Totally agree, Cv is what sets reason reason apart from everything else.

EdGrip

10 Dec 2016

Apart from linking Kong or Redrum or Matrix together with gate/note CVs, I tend to think of CV as a "Make This Thing Do Something In Sync With This Other Thing" tool. It's a way of fixing a problem, making something happen that you want to happen sound-design wise.
Often it's just as easy or easier to do it by putting things in a Combinator, programming one of the Combinator knobs to several things and then automating that knob (Reverb length/reverb mix/synth filter, that kind of thing). But those are the kind of things that you can also use CV for.

If you mainly record and edit actual noises that you recorded in the real world, there's probably less call for it. Just as there's less call for Reason in that scenario.

NekujaK

10 Dec 2016

CV is not a primary part of my workflow, but then again, neither is tweaking synths. I mostly write and record rock/pop/jazz-style tunes where vocals are the most important instrument. I sometimes find CV handy during mixing, usually for auto-panning or perhaps adding a little movement to a guitar effect or a synth pad.

I think it's great that Reason allows for lots of creative CV routing possibilities, but for me, my eyes glaze over when I start thinking about it too hard :shock:
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

sdst
Competition Winner

10 Dec 2016

Cv, routing, and stability Are the three big things in Reason

I enjoy the CV Like a video game

That's why I want the combinator 2. :)

Catblack

10 Dec 2016

So I went on a RE spree this month (after only having the free ones for a long time.) Then I had to make myself a categorized list of what I had, so I could group all the reverbs, filters etc together.

And of course I had twice as many CV tools as anything else. Just grabbing all the free CV REs is quite a toolkit. (Don't forget Morphin Crossfader is for CV too!)

I haven't picked it up yet, but I've for Front-8 on my shortlist. It lets you AUTOMATE cv hookups! I mean, that's totally insane! If you ever wanted to change CV routings during a track, well there you go!

So the beauty of Reason is that all of these different developers have taken different approaches to CV manipulation, and you have a rich toolkit to chose from. (And if you don't run right now and grab Janitor, you are missing out!)
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

dvdrtldg

10 Dec 2016

EdGrip wrote:
If you mainly record and edit actual noises that you recorded in the real world, there's probably less call for it. Just as there's less call for Reason in that scenario.
Hmm I dunno... I use a lot of heavily processed real world field recordings with CV-modulated effects, Reason is perfect for that sort of thing

normen

10 Dec 2016

Writing music and making patches are fundamentally different things really.. Thats why most (pop/rock) people write their songs using just an acoustic guitar and their voice - not by recording each track for the final arrangement and figuring out the guitar amp sounds right away.

So theres two sides to this - actually three. One is writing music - you'll just pull up some presets and go about playing - making a song. Then theres arrangement - you decide on actual patches for the final mix, tweak the sound and even make some CV patches here and there to achieve some goal, like the vibrato you alluded to or gating effects - whatever.

But aside of that theres also making completely new sound patches or devices/combinators that create some effect - I guess even as a musician solely writing songs you appreciate some of the cool ReFills with synth sounds or sampler sounds. Thats where the whole routing and CV thing really shines. Doesn't have much to do with writing songs in the first place though :)

Iapetus 9

10 Dec 2016

If you're aren't using CV in Reason, then you are missing out on what makes it so special in the crowded world of DAW Wars.
38L > 51D every time.

stfual

10 Dec 2016

I use it but LFOs mostly. When i get a new device i'll often throw a matrix at the various inputs to see what they do .
Visualising what is actually going on is the biggest problem for me . It would be great if there was option to see the knobs moving.
There should be a read write track for CV that allows it to be recorded tweaked and played back like automation or copied to an automation track. Not sure why this isnt there as it seems obvious and relatively easy to implement and a very useful link between the worlds of automation and CV.

rcbuse
RE Developer

10 Dec 2016

stfual wrote:I use it but LFOs mostly. When i get a new device i'll often throw a matrix at the various inputs to see what they do .
Visualising what is actually going on is the biggest problem for me . It would be great if there was option to see the knobs moving.
There should be a read write track for CV that allows it to be recorded tweaked and played back like automation or copied to an automation track. Not sure why this isnt there as it seems obvious and relatively easy to implement and a very useful link between the worlds of automation and CV.
Janitor is free until Dec 31st. https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/ ... cv-shaper/

It has some built in CV displays AND gives you a automation->CV bridge.

I swear I won't post another one of my devices to this thread.

dvdrtldg

11 Dec 2016

stfual wrote: Visualising what is actually going on is the biggest problem for me . It would be great if there was option to see the knobs moving.
Apologies if you already know this, but if you move your instrument or effect device into a combinator and route the CV signals thru the combi inputs, you can see the knobs moving

• Information