CV - Do you use it? I don't.

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
artotaku

16 Dec 2016

dallasknight wrote:Wish had Octorex had the capabilities to allow slices to be triggered via CV, that would be insane
You can trigger Dr. Octorox slices with note CV/Gate. See http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason9/Ma ... _Chart.pdf which note triggers which slice.
You have to create any note CV signal of course, but that could be done e. g. with Thor´s step sequencer.
Put the Dr. Octorex in a combinator, connect the CV/Gate output of the triggering device to the combinator´s CV/Gate in.

Faastwalker

16 Dec 2016

Life without CV has no meaning ..............

https://www.facebook.com/Reason-CV-Modu ... 285494893/

ejanuska

16 Dec 2016

I'm going to post something, but I have to finish it this weekend.

ejanuska

16 Dec 2016

dallasknight wrote:
Im currently using it in combination with Ochen's CV tuner and a LFO editor modulating the quantizer CV's, amazing!

Wish had Octorex had the capabilities to allow slices to be triggered via CV, that would be insane
I'm building something that uses only stock rack equipment except the PSQ-1684.

VHS

16 Dec 2016

I use CV like crazy, but I honestly don't miss it on the rare occasion I work outside of Reason. It fill gaps for me more than anything.

dallasknight

17 Dec 2016

artotaku wrote:
dallasknight wrote:Wish had Octorex had the capabilities to allow slices to be triggered via CV, that would be insane
You can trigger Dr. Octorox slices with note CV/Gate. See http://cdn.propellerheads.se/Reason9/Ma ... _Chart.pdf which note triggers which slice.
You have to create any note CV signal of course, but that could be done e. g. with Thor´s step sequencer.
Put the Dr. Octorex in a combinator, connect the CV/Gate output of the triggering device to the combinator´s CV/Gate in.
Thankyou, going to have a go at this now

dvdrtldg

17 Dec 2016

^^^ if you have Step, it works very well for this. Lots of possibilities

ejanuska

17 Dec 2016

I posted a combi here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=7498086

MitchClark89

18 Dec 2016

artotaku wrote:
hello can i just to ask with such things as using cv to trigger other players samplers etc - by the time all the routing and setting up is done, could the person just load and then play their samples to track in the dr rex (for example, or redrum) rather than to using the cv to trigger the samples? i am sure i am missing something here but i dont have a lot of knowledge of the cv and it seems like a lot of extra steps to achieve same thing (in this instance) to me :?:

ejanuska

18 Dec 2016

You could play loops by selecting a pattern in the sequencer lane the normal way.
By using CV to do it is just another way.

nigeljohnwade

20 Dec 2016

If I didn't use CV so extensively in sound design then I would probably use a different software package. The lack of CV in other software is my primary reason for using Reason. I 'grew up' using hardware modular analogue synths and 24 or even 56 channel mixing consoles (I was fortunate enough top attend a very well equipped college). I didn't get into Cubase because it lacked any decent routing features and it wasn't until Reason came out that I moved into digital.

However, your point about it helping write music would be dependent on how you view music. If you mean actual scored notes then no, it doesn't help me at all. The score for most of my pieces would be one very long single note that I press on the keyboard whilst automated and programmed CV takes care of everything else. I personally still consider this music so yes it helps me compose music, but I get the notes and sequences out of my head and into the world via creating a programmed musical system rather than placing notes on a stave.

Gorgon

20 Dec 2016

CV is awesome. Put LittleLFO's 4 LFO's into a CV spider, set them all on different settings, throw out the spider CV to either OSC or filter and start flipping switches on and off. That'll do it.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Ostermilk

02 Jan 2017

People often talk about wanting a 'Super Combinator' with more knobs and buttons.

Well why not stick one of Hamu's CV Mod Panels inside a combi and use it to control your big complex bunch of devices instead?

You'll have automatable buttons, knobs and sliders galore to control your devices via their CV inputs and don't forget you can control more than one combi and the devices within them from a single panel.

The Mod Panels are a really simple way of harnessing the power of CV and once you start to see the possibilities you wont stop.

Even folk that say they don't ever use CV are probably using it extensively inside some of the preset patches they use.

Ostermilk

02 Jan 2017

Noplan wrote:Toilet paper. Do you use it? I don't.
I can make pretty convincing toilet paper just with a single instance of Thor.

sdst
Competition Winner

03 Jan 2017

Ostermilk wrote:People often talk about wanting a 'Super Combinator' with more knobs and buttons.

Well why not stick one of Hamu's CV Mod Panels inside a combi and use it to control your big complex bunch of devices instead?

thanks but For the same thing the CV8X4 CV Generator is free. :)

but you can't control all the parameters of a device, (some device don't have cv in) and the combinator only has 4 cv in

MitchClark89

03 Jan 2017

Faastwalker wrote:Life without CV has no meaning ..............

https://www.facebook.com/Reason-CV-Modu ... 285494893/
thank u for this link :) i just watch this video that was posted in the comments there: https://vimeo.com/165395675 and it did help me to understand this new thing which is baffling to me.

is there easy way to hook up something in reason8 with factory instruments to experiment? i am still trying to work out if this would be useful to me since i most do hip hop and some pop stuffs..

best,

MC

ejanuska

03 Jan 2017

[quote="MitchClark89"

is there easy way to hook up something in reason8 with factory instruments to experiment? i am still trying to work out if this would be useful to me since i most do hip hop and some pop stuffs..

best,

MC[/quote]

Yes, the CV connections in Reason 8 and 9 are the same as far as I know.
If you are just starting out with CV try a Matrix hooked up to any Synth or drum machine.

Another is try taking a LFO or envelope from the back panel of one synth and plugging it into another synth.

You can't break anything or harm any device. The only limitation is that some CV conections are outputs, some are inputs. You can't hook a input to another input. Same for output to output, won't work.

Bumbum

17 Jan 2017

You know you been using too much reason when all graphs look like CV signal
Using CV is crucial part of my reason use, it makes everything so much more interesting and surprising.
Psq,Synchronous, Frame,Janitor and so on.
Attachments
graph.jpg
graph.jpg (81.49 KiB) Viewed 2547 times

KirkMarkarian

18 Jan 2017

Yep, CV routing is very useful. I used to just automate everything via MIDI when I was trying to emulate Autechre back in 2002. I would design all my drum sounds in Orangator (what a neat synth!), then I would put all the samples in Redrum and edit all my synth parameters in the piano roll. CV didn't make sense to me then. Now, I use it all the time. CV works in the same manner as automated MIDI, without having to mess around with drawing the curves (unless you want to).

One user posted the movement of clouds - an apt example. Free movement of sound (pitch, timbre, etc.) within a controlled environment. Very useful. CV is also excellent for making rigid (or "swung") sequences that sound different that what a keyboard player could bang out or finesse with their fingers. It's not the only way to do things, but it's a really handy way to do things, especially since the environment allows us to control more parameters than we have fingers for. Sometimes a simple riff is all a song needs, and sometimes an undulating robotic sex demon is what a track needs. Also, for sound design purposes, some of the features on some of the synths only have CV control to do fine shifting work. Imagine listening to a sound effect on loop that is one second long, and trying your damndest to shift the mod wheel "just right" every time, by hand. Whoooo! CV to the rescue.

Learn it, live it, love it! :)

The main thing to keep in mind is that many of us who use Reason are not keyboard players, nor traditionally trained in music composition. For some of us, we hear a sound, and want to create a different sort of music. Piano keyboards, notes, rests - they can also be realized with CV sequencers, and offer a physical/visual way to realize our imagined sound. We are all, to some extent, "musical". It's a matter of how one chooses to compose that makes music a fluctuating, living, breathing entity. Imagine if everybody did it the same way!

All hail CV as a venerable and useful music production tool.

On a side note, if anybody has been having issues understanding CV, sometimes (just like math, science, or language arts), the way the principles are being explained may be the cause for confusion or being overwhelmed. We may understand that someone is confused, but not what exactly is causing the confusion. Feel free to actually explain what is overwhelming about CV. Please, don't give up, find a different angle, I'm sure somebody else out there may have had a similar situation. Personally, I know a little about CV, but I still have a lot to learn, myself. Time and practice is needed to get a better understanding.

theshoemaker

18 Jan 2017

KirkMarkarian wrote:
Learn it, live it, love it! :)

The main thing to keep in mind is that many of us who use Reason are not keyboard players, nor traditionally trained in music composition. For some of us, we hear a sound, and want to create a different sort of music. Piano keyboards, notes, rests - they can also be realized with CV sequencers, and offer a physical/visual way to realize our imagined sound. We are all, to some extent, "musical". It's a matter of how one chooses to compose that makes music a fluctuating, living, breathing entity. Imagine if everybody did it the same way!

All hail CV as a venerable and useful music production tool.

On a side note, if anybody has been having issues understanding CV, sometimes (just like math, science, or language arts), the way the principles are being explained may be the cause for confusion or being overwhelmed. We may understand that someone is confused, but not what exactly is causing the confusion. Feel free to actually explain what is overwhelming about CV. Please, don't give up, find a different angle, I'm sure somebody else out there may have had a similar situation. Personally, I know a little about CV, but I still have a lot to learn, myself. Time and practice is needed to get a better understanding.
It's really not that hard if you get some good explanation and very usefull indeed. It atook me some time in the beginning, when I started with reason and all things syntesizers. But in the end, it's what makes your life more easy and some awesome sounds, because of the movement it adds. That's what CV does, it moves knobs, filters, faders ... whatever by multiplying it with and ever changing value from an LFO, Envelope .... or whatever source you have (Audio to CV ... ). So it's the automation of automation. You don't draw values in lanes on the sequencer but setup a device to somehow generate a lane of values for you.

The things that helped me personally to make better use of CV and understand the usefulness of it.

CV in its raw and basic form is Mono! PolyCV fixes this, but your device has to support it. Watch out for devices supporting. But that's another topic

- Gate is a Key Down or Key Up on your Keyboard. A device/instrument assumes to receive either a 1 (high signal) or a 0 (low signal). On/Off ... Black/White. So whenever the 1 is sent, your devices is doing something audible. But thats a very basic, and low pitched tone.
- In order to tell the device to switch to another pitch, we need the Note signal. Or sometimes just call CV on the back of a device next to the Gate. So CV/Note (the one next to Gate for the Sequencer control) moves/modulates the pitch of your device; that's why it is called Note sometimes. This is a factor between 0% and 100%.
- The other CV jacks are for controlling either values inside the device (input) or sending values outside to other devices (output). The little Knobs nearby a CV jack is for scaling the value up or down, just in case the original one is to big or small for the automation/movement you want to achieve.

In practice what does that mean? An LFO for example will send values according to it's waveform. The LFO generates this percentage value between 0.0 and 1.0. Where from? The waveform has a value. Let's call it X. this value changes over time. Let's call that Y. So now when you draw that X every Y you get a graph in a coordinate system. X is sent out as changing over time Y.

But all you really have to know is: You get values that change. Whether it's an LFO or Envelope (Generator) ... doesn't matter, the only concept that matter is: You get changing values. And the source are just differen at when they trigger (send out) the values and how they repeat or recur.

On your Subtractor for example, the predefined routings and modulations are the same: Internal CV signals you don't see and you are not able to change.

The modulation matrix of Thor is the same thing, but here you have the abilities to route and scale the values. Basically the same thing, whitout plugging cables in and out. Just clicking values on the display.

:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

X1Lo

18 Jan 2017

I didn't use cv for the first year I started using reason because I was using presets and was intimidated by it honestly. When I started making my own combinators is when I fell in love with it. I use it a lot for modulating effect values. With pads I tend to use slow lfo rates and it always makes them more dynamic. With leads I use small amounts on distortion to give the melodies more flow. It is a crucial part of my workflow but I tend to hook up cv after I have completed all the midi data and before mixing. I feel that way I can get a better idea of how I want it to all work off each other.
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

plaamook

19 Jan 2017

dvdrtldg wrote:
EdGrip wrote:
If you mainly record and edit actual noises that you recorded in the real world, there's probably less call for it. Just as there's less call for Reason in that scenario.
Hmm I dunno... I use a lot of heavily processed real world field recordings with CV-modulated effects, Reason is perfect for that sort of thing
Absolutely. I'm a field recordist and I tweak all sort of stuff all the time. Love it. One of the main reasons I'm still on Reason. I guess it depends on what you're doing with your rec's though. Some people don't process em that much. I do both.

As for what I do?... Modulate stuff with random patterns. Send same patterns it to other places. Route audio all over the place. As someone has said, these days less because of RE's and bussing parallel chanels n stuff but I still hit it pretty hard.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

PhutureD

20 Jan 2017

take distributor, and instances of thor, pan each one differnetly , each with it's own patch setting. take rpg 8 and hook up the note out into the note in of distributor. Take a matrix and , make several patterns. hook the gate out into distributor gate in and the gate outs into each thor or mixer Draw some chords in the sequencer, in the rp- 8 lane. trigger the matrix, play the track.
Further: draw a 32 bar pattern, take one instance of randrome junior and intersect the gate out of the matrix. automate the the percentage of randomness across the entire 32 bars or however long u need the sequence to be. save u hours and hours of time programming variations of notes and patterns.

PhutureD

20 Jan 2017

some basic examples using distributor and few instances of khs one which u can replace with any device. no midi needed just run.
u can go as complicated as u want by adding other fx devices and more cv devices.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6zPk ... 0MxNm5xNkk

PhutureD

20 Jan 2017

I have updated the folder to include a patch consisting of 8 instances of thor , echobode and some filters, all replaceable with other devices.

• Information