How you make glitch sounds

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
ejanuska

04 Jan 2017

I have been making glitch / scratch type sounds by combining RE synths, CV, automation, and effects. Sometimes I use Ochen K. EDS06s Drum Synth as a base and tweak on it but, I'm not getting the sounds I want out of it. It can be very time consuming doing it this way.

I was wondering what others are doing? Boxed samples? A certain RE? Sample hardware synth with NN-XT?

Loque

04 Jan 2017

I think there are endless possibilities. I tried Malstroem with low motion and connected something to automate the position and other parameters. A short decay time is handy for this.

Add some different delays, add more fx to some of the delays like a Scream4, reverb and envelope shaper. Also try RV7000 in reverse mode.

As modulation source you can try Malstroems LFOs, Matrix random curves, sequencer randome notes and so on. Try different combinations through a Spider before you use it for automation.

Instead of Malstroem try it with a complex sample in NN19 with a bit of release, short sustain and decay. Now automate pitch and position.

For more rythmic stuff use a OctoRex env out as a CV source or use a conpressors gain reduction out.

As i said, endless possibilities...
Reason12, Win10

rcbuse
RE Developer

04 Jan 2017

Do you have any audio examples of the kinds of sounds you want
to generate?

VHS

04 Jan 2017

Like loque said, as far as audio destruction goes there's really no end. I like to overly distort or bitcrush foley samples, bounce em, stretch em waaaay too far, then add really fast volume modulation. For scratches, I used to make some almost believable turntable stuff by loading vocals into Rex/nn19/xt, jamming on one part of the phrase or word, and modulating the pitch wheel and volume for each hit.
ejanuska wrote: but, I'm not getting the sounds I want out of it. ?
If you have a specific example to point to maybe we can help recreate it. :puf_smile:

theshoemaker

04 Jan 2017

Have you tried FRITZ?

For modulation sources I'll have a look for the next version of PSQ-1684, namely V3. It will have a modulation matrix. I already love it for modular stuff. ... I also like to use the Convolution Reverb on the RV7000 for this type of stuff, expecially in gated mode with short decays or as Loque already said in Reverse Mode. I also love the reverser form kiloherts for reversed echo effect. Any type of Envelope Generator should be good as modulation source for automating the movement, like Shape, Synchronous, 4Mers Envelops, PSDN, Charlotte, ...
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

theshoemaker

04 Jan 2017

I'll also love to use Nostromo and Parsec for this type of stuff

EdGrip

04 Jan 2017

For a start, buy OchenK's ridiculously cheap Glitch RE.
It'll do stutter-ter-ter-ter effects, but you can use The Echo to do that too. It also does sync'd reverse, a tape stop, a slice shuffle and a gate and you can trigger any of them manually or leave them to happen at random.

SugarBytes have some REs that cover this area too - though sadly not their epic all-in-one glitch VST.

Catblack

04 Jan 2017

My tip is to pick up Shape, set a cv on phase, then feed back 2 of it's cv outputs to Start and End -- and you may need to trim them. Be sure to put something, maybe a feedback on it's cv monitor in so you can record some incoming and run everything against that.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

theshoemaker

04 Jan 2017

Try the Audio In of Parsecs Modifier 1. With version 2 there is also the link A>B switch for having 3 modulators additionally after the Audio In on Modifier 1. Repeat with the Audio out, you can go carzy with this. With Nostromo, have a look at the Tips & Tricks section on how to sweep through the waves manually. http://lectricpanda.com/NostromoSpectra ... _1_0_0.pdf. Similiar to moving the wavetable in Malström

ejanuska

04 Jan 2017

Just trying to get a feel for how others create sounds such as build-ups that ramp up in pitch and speed, or sounds that morph over time into a different sound, say a tone that degenerates into clicking glitch for example.
I'm aware there are endless sound sources with effects, CV, modulation, and automation that can be applied and I don't have a problem doing that, just wondering what users consider their go-to tools for the process. Is it chopping up a sample and dumping it in NN-XT? Is it creating a sound from scratch on a synth and trashing it? Or hitting a clip with effects and automated CV?

EdGrip

04 Jan 2017

One thing that springs to mind because I heard it again at New Year is that track on Random Access Memories, where the sound of a single oscillator note drops and drops in pitch until it becomes not a single oscillator, but a series of kicks, which continue to drop in pitch and speed until they're a four-to-the-floor kick. Can't remember which track.

theshoemaker

04 Jan 2017

Got another idea, while creating a field scaper combinator for my upcoming EP. You can use the Env Follower from the Pulveriser for certain effects

Will attach a basic setup. I'll enhance my next Version with Korde, PSQ and some other LFO/Env Generators I have around in my rack :P ... Maybe also with FRITZ when giving it a trial.

This combinator
ScapeR.cmb.zip
(41.97 KiB) Downloaded 87 times
is a setup of free or base devices. Included is:

- Thor
- Malström
- Matrix
- Audiomatic
- Pulveriser
- khs Delay
- RV7000II
- Spiders
- TMA-1 Commentator

If someone got another cool idea. Feel free

Noplan
Competition Winner

04 Jan 2017

Alligator.

MannequinRaces

05 Jan 2017

Noplan wrote:Alligator.
Can you elaborate on this or share some sound examples?!

MitchClark89

05 Jan 2017

EdGrip wrote:One thing that springs to mind because I heard it again at New Year is that track on Random Access Memories, where the sound of a single oscillator note drops and drops in pitch until it becomes not a single oscillator, but a series of kicks, which continue to drop in pitch and speed until they're a four-to-the-floor kick. Can't remember which track.
that sound so cool! i will try to find that song :thumbs_up:

EdGrip

05 Jan 2017

It happens at the end of "Giorgio by Moroder", but the journey through the track to get to it is well worth taking.

househoppin09

05 Jan 2017

The easy/lazy way to get great glitch effects is to use one of the excellent REs specifically designed to do just that. Peff's Buffre, Sononics' GSX, and Quadelectra's BeatChop are all great choices. I'm stunned none of them have been mentioned yet!

MannequinRaces

05 Jan 2017

househoppin09 wrote:The easy/lazy way to get great glitch effects is to use one of the excellent REs specifically designed to do just that. Peff's Buffre, Sononics' GSX, and Quadelectra's BeatChop are all great choices. I'm stunned none of them have been mentioned yet!
Buffre is amazing for making glitch sounds!!

Faastwalker

05 Jan 2017

MannequinRaces wrote:
househoppin09 wrote:The easy/lazy way to get great glitch effects is to use one of the excellent REs specifically designed to do just that. Peff's Buffre, Sononics' GSX, and Quadelectra's BeatChop are all great choices. I'm stunned none of them have been mentioned yet!
Buffre is amazing for making glitch sounds!!
Still not got Buffre! I really need to get hold of this at some point. Looks like a lot of fun for this sort of thing.

Faastwalker

05 Jan 2017

Still not got Buffre! I really need to get hold of this at some point. Looks like a lot of fun for this sort of thing.

Check out Uhbik's G as well. It's bonkers!
https://shop.propellerheads.se/product/uhbik-g/

Loque

06 Jan 2017

Forgot to mention Synchronious.
Reason12, Win10

Loque

06 Jan 2017

Forgot to mention Synchronious.
Reason12, Win10

Electric-Metal

06 Jan 2017

If not mentioned already, how about the obvious one, Ochen Ks' Glitch Effect. :puf_smile:
:?: The question is - Who cares :?:

PhutureD

06 Jan 2017

the simplest and quickest solution for me is to bounce audio to rex loop and mangle it from there on.

• Information