Considering upgrading?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Galaxy

08 Feb 2017

Still on R8 and considering upgrading, but I still might wanna jam with the line6 stuff. Has anybody successfully run both R8 and 9 on the same system? How would you go about this? Read some user couldn't get it to work.

Galaxy

08 Feb 2017

Nobody? Really?

joeyluck

08 Feb 2017

There is no issue installing and having them both on the same system. There is nothing extra that you have to do aside from installing Reason 9. You can't however run them at the same time on the same system.

MassiveSoundStudios

09 Feb 2017

joeyluck wrote:There is no issue installing and having them both on the same system. There is nothing extra that you have to do aside from installing Reason 9. You can't however run them at the same time on the same system.
Hi Joey :)

Actually, I just upgraded to Reason 9 recently. I tried to launch Reason 8 after 9 was installed and I got a weird error message. So, version 8 would not launch. I'll report back after I check again, because I don't remember what the message was. I'm assuming there is some sort of preference (.plist) file that might be causing the issue.

I also happened to notice that, because there was an Orchester Soundbank in the Orchester folder (Application Support) the installation left the Orchester Soundbank that came with Reason 9 in the Reason 9 Application folder. Weird enough the Factory Soundbank that came with Reason version 9 moved to the Application Support folder, because there is a Reason 8 and 9 FSB folder. Maybe this might be causing the issue for launching Reason 8 as well? My laptop didn't have this problem, but still won't launch Reason 8?

Regarding, your comment about running both at the same time, I actually have 3 Reason licenses in my user account (all from different upgrade paths, Reason 2.5, Reason Adapted 3, and Record 1.5), one of which is still a version 8 license. I'm not talking about clicking on 'show details' and seeing the upgrade path, I actually have three Reason icons in my account. So, because one of them is a Reason 8 license, shouldn't I, in theory, be able to run both at the same time? I don't think I would, I never cared for the Line 6 amps, but it would be nice to know I could :D

And Galaxy, that was me who couldn't get it to work :?

Jan 2004

selig
RE Developer

09 Feb 2017

I've had no problems, recently going back to v8 to load a song file for a friend (so I could save it and he could still open it on his v8 system). The only extra step is entering my system password when switching. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

C//AZM

09 Feb 2017

Yes the password and it also seems to lose my prefs. and song starting template, even though I made sure to make a copy of it for 8 when I went to 9. Any idea why that is? Especially the password thing.

tiker01

09 Feb 2017

C//AZM wrote:Any idea why that is? Especially the password thing.
Setting which version of Reason is considered to be active to be used via Rewire.

https://www.propellerheads.se/en/reason/updates

I recommend backup preferences etc then install R8.3 without soundbanks.
Start 8 it should download the soundbanks.
Install 9 without soundbanks.
Start 9 it it should download/move the soundbanks.
Put back preferences etc to their place.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

C//AZM

09 Feb 2017

tiker01 wrote:
Setting which version of Reason is considered to be active to be used via Rewire.

Thanks!

MassiveSoundStudios

09 Feb 2017

tiker01 wrote:

So, do I need to uninstall both Reason 8 and 9, meaning trash all the Application folders and current Soundbank? Where can I find the preference file? Library>Preferences>com.propellerhead.plist, something like that?

Jan 2004

tiker01

09 Feb 2017

MassiveSoundStudios wrote:
tiker01 wrote:

So, do I need to uninstall both Reason 8 and 9, meaning trash all the Application folders and current Soundbank? Where can I find the preference file? Library>Preferences>com.propellerhead.plist, something like that?
I am on windows so cannot tell from the top of my head. I think you can find the location of the files by googling it. If you trash the folders be careful because I heard of people loosing songs and refills as they stored them in Reason`s folder!!!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.

MassiveSoundStudios

09 Feb 2017

tiker01 wrote:
tiker01 wrote:

I am on windows so cannot tell from the top of my head. I think you can find the location of the files by googling it. If you trash the folders be careful because I heard of people loosing songs and refills as they stored them in Reason`s folder!!!
Hi Tiker,

Thanks for all your help. I found what seemed to be the necessary preference files and copied them to the desktop for crude backup purposes, before trying to launch Reason 8.

For some weird Reason, I am now able to run version 8? It just asks me to make changes to my system, etc. :? I guess I must have missed something or done something wrong last time I tried to boot version 8.

In fact, my preferences (we're talkin about midi controller setup and favourites in the browser right?) are not changed at all when switching back and fourth between versions.

Jan 2004

MassiveSoundStudios

09 Feb 2017

selig wrote:I've had no problems, recently going back to v8 to load a song file for a friend (so I could save it and he could still open it on his v8 system). The only extra step is entering my system password when switching. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Hi Giles,

Thank you :) I wonder if you might know why the version 9 install left the Orkester Soundbank in the Reason 9 Application folder? Could it be that it recognized there was already the same (but older dated version) Soundbank from version 8, in the Application support>Phead Softwate>Soundbanks>Orkester>Orkester.rfl? They're the same thing, as nothing has been changed in that .rfl.

I found that the latest version that came with Reason 9 (and stayed in the Reason 9 Application folder) does absolutely nothing, and doesn't even have to be there.

Jan 2004

tiker01

09 Feb 2017

tiker01 wrote:
tiker01 wrote:

Hi Tiker,

Thanks for all your help. I found what seemed to be the necessary preference files and copied them to the desktop for crude backup purposes, before trying to launch Reason 8.

For some weird Reason, I am now able to run version 8? It just asks me to make changes to my system, etc. :? I guess I must have missed something or done something wrong last time I tried to boot version 8.

In fact, my preferences (we're talkin about midi controller setup and favourites in the browser right?) are not changed at all when switching back and fourth between versions.
Yes preferences are shared by default. Maybe Reason healed itself. It can do such a thing on a Mac but I don`t know how and what can be fixed that way.

Anyway I am glad it is working.

Regarding Orchester I think Reason 8 looks for it in different place than 9. You can use symbolic link to the 9 one so you only need one copy. Or simply delete both of them and run 9 let it download it and run 8 to see if it works. In worst case 8 will download a second copy.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Feb 2017

There was a batch file about that help keep the preferences....

I pretty sure on my other system (not at hand) I just ended up renaming one of the Reason.exe to Reason7.exe, can't see why this would not work with 8..

MassiveSoundStudios

09 Feb 2017

tiker01 wrote:
tiker01 wrote:
tiker01 wrote:

Hi Tiker,

Yes preferences are shared by default. Maybe Reason healed itself. It can do such a thing on a Mac but I don`t know how and what can be fixed that way.

Anyway I am glad it is working.

Regarding Orchester I think Reason 8 looks for it in different place than 9. You can use symbolic link to the 9 one so you only need one copy. Or simply delete both of them and run 9 let it download it and run 8 to see if it works. In worst case 8 will download a second copy.
Okay, I'll give that a shot if I can't sort this out :) As it currently stands, I think both version of Reason point to the Orkester Soundbank in my App Support directory. The Orkester Soundbank in the Reason 9 folder isn't being access by Reason at all. The browser helps determine where Reason is fetching patches from, so I'll double check this again.

Thanks again :)!

Jan 2004

Galaxy

10 Feb 2017

Thanks guys, lots of stuff to read. So preferences might default is basically the gist. Good to know it's doable. :)

• Information