Reason 10 Rumors

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Creativemind

09 Feb 2017

Karim wrote:they are welcome... I can't wait another year with any improvements...[emoji11]
Do you mean you can't wait till 10, you agree with the point updates I suggested?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Gorgon

09 Feb 2017

3 words.

HUGE
SEQUENCER
OVERHAUL
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Revise

09 Feb 2017

I agree completely. Better zooming, the ability to have different and larger track sizes, folder tracks.. please! I keep going back to Ableton because the sequencer is so clunky.

aisling

09 Feb 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:I'm not sure how often the Props are checking these forums but I have a question about rack extensions.

Is there anything preventing other DAWs from supporting the Rack Extension format?

If the answer is no I will start bugging some of the other DAWs that I use to start supporting the format.
I'd love to use rack extensions in Ableton.

decibel

09 Feb 2017

i think that for most of the people who have spent a lot of time on reason and gotten fairly comfortable with it, that vst support is not really a huge deal, but i do think it has the potential to bring more users onto reason, there will be a million kids who are new to daws who may be swayed in their decision making by having the option available to them imo, for me personally theres lots of vsts that would obviously be great to use in reason but i think reasons capability's are getting better all the time so im happy to be around as those new changes occur, if they add vst support then kool, i wont complain, i have logic and ableton anyway if i really want to play with something else so bad

OverneathTheSkyBridg

10 Feb 2017

I think with VSTs people should think outside the box and question why they actually need them. Is there a specific VST that you actually NEED? Cause really, if you're willing to pay several hundred dollars for a specific VST, you ALREADY HAVE the DAW of your choice to use it for such a trivial price in comparison. Reaper. $60. Fully Functional Unlimited Trial time period (no crippled features). DONE. You can sync it to Reason using a MIDI loopback program to send both instrument and sync data to to control both tempo and time but also note data to your VST synth of choice.

Mac has loopback solutions here: http://www.macworld.com/article/3021939 ... vices.html

There's also Windows programs: https://www.google.ca/?gws_rd=ssl#q=mid ... ck+windows

PH's products are all behind a successful closed ecosystem that prevents piracy. Opening that world up to VSTs nullifies that ecosystem, and takes away from what they protect. PH makes money from every sale of every RE, and the only thing VST related that they SHOULD be looking into is making an SDK of a caliber that can accommodate whatever these higher level VSTs are developed on.

The Reason market is a market that guarantees a 100% user base that PAID for their product, and would definitely see ported VSTs if PH were to make that possible for those devs. They clearly don't want to compromise the stability of Reason though, and I'm sure that's why we don't see the same update frequency that we do from other software.

In short, there IS ways to use external VSTs for anyone out there, but VSTS pose a threat to Reason's stability which is why they're not an accepted plug in. I believe that a lot of the VST hype could be attributed to would-be pirates hoping to fire up PirateBay's edition of Serum for Reason Pro Edition RE make some fuckin wubs. Reminds me of people that go off about standalone MPCs. I bet half those people will never actually buy the standalones that just came out. They'll suddenly say "you know, those NI Maschines are pretty sweet. They should be fucking standalone. I would totally buy one if they were."

TL;DR Anyone that needs VSTs already has what they need. The rest of us just want that shit because we spend more time discussing our gear and software than actually USING IT. I'm drunk. CMD-Q

tiker01

10 Feb 2017

Could someone who filled out the survey send the questions to any of the forum moderators via private message?

Thx in advance!

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

electrofux

11 Feb 2017

All i need is a clip launcher.

I doubt i would be tempted to get Vsts if there was support. There are alot of Res that are still on my list.

Creativemind

11 Feb 2017

aisling wrote:
ltbrunt00 wrote:I'm not sure how often the Props are checking these forums but I have a question about rack extensions.

Is there anything preventing other DAWs from supporting the Rack Extension format?

If the answer is no I will start bugging some of the other DAWs that I use to start supporting the format.
In answer to the first question, no, other daws don't have a rack.

And you could use Re's in Ableton via rewire?

EdGrip

11 Feb 2017

Yeah, sequencer and mixer update would be good - track folders in the mixer would help with organisation on smaller screens. Also the ability to zoom waveforms much bigger than we currently can.
These are old, long-standing requests; but they should be fairly easy to implement, so I do wish they'd just do it.

aisling

11 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:
aisling wrote:

In answer to the first question, no, other daws don't have a rack.

And you could use Re's in Ableton via rewire?
I don't want to run two programs simultaneously if I had the option not to, but in theory yes I could use it via rewire, and I already do/have been for quite a few years.

miscend

11 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:Yes numerical entry would be great and yeah shift tweaking doesn't always get you to where you want either.
There's also an option to make the knob behaviour slower and more precise in the preferences menu. You can also just use a midi controller.

Personally I've never been unable to enter single digit increments using on a touch pad.

miscend

11 Feb 2017

It would be impossible without a lot of hacking, reverse engineering and running into legal issues.

Steinberg licence out the VST format for anyone to add into their DAW. Propellerheads keep their stuff proprietary.

miscend

11 Feb 2017

I remember Props say they are working on latency compensation since at least the version 6.5 beta test. I wonder what's taking them so long?

I would like improvements to the combinator device, the sequencer, piano roll, audio editor and more functionality in blocks.

I would also like improvements to the MCLASS effects like M/S processing, multiband processing and animated displays (so you can see the effect of your limiting/compressing/eqing on the waveform). On the EQ I want to choose mid or side processing per band.

Kaosis

12 Feb 2017

If anything they could make some kind of conversion tool to help get VSTs to REs, but other than that I don't think I want actual VST support.

Sure there are some great ones out there, but I like that REs and refills are pretty inclusive and I don't have to go through some installation and setup libraries and then remember how everything was in the event of some kind of computer refresh. I also like the idea of a central login and repository, except some refills obviously.

Would love to get some maschine or kontakt in Reason, pretty good default libraries, that I would rather not have to convert
Last edited by Kaosis on 13 Feb 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Kaosis

12 Feb 2017

I would like a smarter tool for editing midi, especially chord velocities and better more defined grids. Quick blocks for a scratch pad of sorts.

Also longer fader bars for the ssl. And obviously vector based graphics so things are scalable.

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:I want a fix for this: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/serious- ... -reason-7/
Oh my, that one is still biting me in the ass from time to time. Been annoyed by it since Record, and IIRC it was difficult to describe to the props (indicating they were not initially even aware it existed).

I really think this one is tied to the whole concept of audio in Reason, and is why we've not yet seen a fix - it's 'baked in' to the way Reason handles audio IMO. It's the same reason we're not likely to see audio fades outside of the comp mode (I need to cross-fade even when I DON'T need to comp…), and why I also worry we won't see grouped edit tracks in the sequencer - unless there's a major overhaul in the way audio is handled in Reason (if that's even possible at this point).
:)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

12 Feb 2017

miscend wrote:I remember Props say they are working on latency compensation since at least the version 6.5 beta test. I wonder what's taking them so long?

I would like improvements to the combinator device, the sequencer, piano roll, audio editor and more functionality in blocks.

I would also like improvements to the MCLASS effects like M/S processing, multiband processing and animated displays (so you can see the effect of your limiting/compressing/eqing on the waveform). On the EQ I want to choose mid or side processing per band.
I remember some really bad bugs in Pro Tools after it added latency compensation. The main one was when recording multiple tracks, some tracks would not be placed correctly in the time line. Problem is, you never knew for certain which track was right and which was ahead/behind, and sometimes you didn't notice the odd track timing until after a take was complete and the (expensive) studio musicians were sent home. VERY frustrating when working on major projects…

I'm all for them taking their time to get it right - it's not going to be easy to do this 'bug-free' from day one IMO.

Selig Audio, LLC

tiker01

12 Feb 2017

selig wrote:
Marco Raaphorst wrote:I want a fix for this: http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/serious- ... -reason-7/
Oh my, that one is still biting me in the ass from time to time. Been annoyed by it since Record, and IIRC it was difficult to describe to the props (indicating they were not initially even aware it existed).

I really think this one is tied to the whole concept of audio in Reason, and is why we've not yet seen a fix - it's 'baked in' to the way Reason handles audio IMO. It's the same reason we're not likely to see audio fades outside of the comp mode (I need to cross-fade even when I DON'T need to comp…), and why I also worry we won't see grouped edit tracks in the sequencer - unless there's a major overhaul in the way audio is handled in Reason (if that's even possible at this point).

AFAIR PH said enable disable stretch audio jumps could be fixed but they haven`t received enough requests to deal with it in comparison to how hard it would be and how much work it would involve. I think Reason 10 would be a great opportunity to finally take a deep breath and do something about this so it won`t affect any development further down the line.

So everybody who hates this http://melodiefabriek.com/blog/serious- ... -reason-7/

Write support email to PH (they gonna hate me for this :puf_bigsmile: )

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Voyager

12 Feb 2017

Something that i would really like to see in the sequencer at some point is having the possibility to play a note at any location whitin it instead of having to play from the begining of the note to be able to ear it.

Creativemind

12 Feb 2017

Voyager wrote:Something that i would really like to see in the sequencer at some point is having the possibility to play a note at any location whitin it instead of having to play from the begining of the note to be able to ear it.
Good idea yeah. Was only working on something today and having this issue. Thinking about it though, wouldn't that make It sound like the note started later than it does if you played the track half way through a note?

Voyager

12 Feb 2017

Creativemind wrote:Thinking about it though, wouldn't that make It sound like the note started later than it does if you played the track half way through a note?
What do you mean ?

If you have very long notes and want to hear a specific part of your track which is whitin the note it's quite very frustrating to start playing from the begining of the note and wait until you reach the part you want to listen to.

What i do in this case if i want to start listen from a specific location of my track that is having very long notes like pads for instance is moving the note(s) at the beginning of the part i want to listen, press play and then hit ctrl z to put my note(s) at their initial position.

esselfortium

12 Feb 2017

Voyager wrote:Something that i would really like to see in the sequencer at some point is having the possibility to play a note at any location whitin it instead of having to play from the begining of the note to be able to ear it.
Yes please! I run into this frequently with non-quantized or timing-randomized parts.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

househoppin09

13 Feb 2017

Yes, yes, yes! This is desperately needed.

• Information