Reason IRC Chat

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Kenni
Site Admin

02 Jun 2015

Hi Guys,

First of all, I have no clue why I haven't stumbled upon this site sooner. This community seems very active and inspiring!

Secondly, in my experience, talking with other Reason users "live" about everything, sharing previews, asking for tips and tricks etc., is a very rewarding feature. Because of that, I've setup a IRC channel (chatroom) called #Reason on irc.rc6.org, for those of you that are interested.

If you don't have a chat client like X-chat, mIRC or the likes, you can use this web client:

http://chat.mibbit.com/?channel=%23Reas ... rc.rc6.org

Hope to see you around

UPDATE 24-06-2015

Bot up and running. Here's a list of the most useful commands.

.g search_term - Searches google for a given term and returns the top result.rt search_term - Searches Reasontalk for the given given term and returns the top result.w search_term - Searches Wikipedia for a given term and returns the top result.wa search_term - Wolfram Alpha search. Computational knowledge search engine, can answer a lot of questions!.yt search_term - Searches Youtube for a given term and returns the top result..8 question - Magic 8-ball, just for fun
There's a lot more commands with the bot, and more usefull commands coming for searching the forums in the future. Join and you'll see
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

alex

02 Jun 2015

Wellcome Unkown Source! ;)

Thank you for opening a Reason irc chat: great idea, hope to see other people there!

PS: I really dig your Realization demo song for reason 2.0/2.5! :thumbup:
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

tibah

02 Jun 2015

We used to have a proper active IRC, created by MattiasHG, but it died slowly over the past months/years. The main issue is that people mostly leave after seconds of joining. It's not like a forum where you have a topic or a constant stream of talking. I will check back around this now more often. I would advice to bookmark the mibbit link and also get involved or start conversations and see if people are active! :)

And welcome US of course! You made some of the finest uplifting trance I remember! :D

Kenni
Site Admin

02 Jun 2015

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I got lucky being offered to do that demo-song.

Its been so long, but I finally found the inspiration to do some uplifting again. I really hope this irc thing kicks off, those talks and sharing previews in the old days was some of the most inspiring stuff I've done. Really constructive!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

tibah

02 Jun 2015

That's exactly my experience, starting out with music around the same time as I got into chatting via IRC and having those kinds of talks and feedback. Some of my longest real-life friendships started in IRC.

However, nowadays people seem to get confused about this kind of format, for one reason or another. For starters, expectations and staying in the chat.  :s0826:

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Jun 2015

Well, that was a cozy first night. I feel confident that the people who already joined up will keep coming back!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

03 Jun 2015

Since I'm also a developer, I'm toying with the idea of having a bot in the channel that makes it possible to have certain nice functions.

Just off the top of my head:

Search the forum from within the chat and deliver the most relevant result in form of a linkFollow twitter-tweets from selected profiles, ie. @PropellerheadSWMaking links pretty by getting the title of the link if available
If you have more suggestions, please don't hesitate to post them here!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

tibah

14 Jun 2015

I would like to add:
  • Google search integrated into the chat / bot (first hit approach), if forum search isn't enough :)
  • RE news feed if something enters the shop, e.g. PH Facebook feed or again, the new RE threads from here
  • Quiz or alike, maybe even fed with user questions e.g. audio / music related

esselfortium

14 Jun 2015

No chatbot quizzes please... In my experience, they inevitably end up overtaking the whole channel with botspam and people spamming answers to the bot. If we need a bot at all, keeping its functionality limited to simple useful stuff would be preferable IMO.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

tibah

14 Jun 2015

Right.

A quiz should never be started randomly by anybody. Everyone currently online should agree on having one, of course. Or, best solution, having a #Reasonquiz which is dedicated to this only, like a side channel, where an OP can start it after enough people gathered.

First they should be some simple features that are useful, I totally agree! :)  Just an idea.

Gotta go with the chord progression randomizer first! :D

As Kenni mentioned this idea already, another suggestion:
  • Shoutcast integration for the current stream / radio 
As we are planning to do Reason live streams and maybe some DJ sets (I assume) this could be handy to request who is currently streaming, what kind of music, production, live jam or mixing and so on. :)

hydlide

14 Jun 2015

I had a blast here this evening ;)

Gutenabend.

tibah

16 Jun 2015

hydlide wrote:I had a blast here this evening ;)

Gutenabend.
You heard it here first people. A blast! ;)

jappe

19 Jun 2015

andruszkow wrote:Since I'm also a developer, I'm toying with the idea of having a bot in the channel that makes it possible to have certain nice functions.

Just off the top of my head:
  • Search the forum from within the chat and deliver the most relevant result in form of a link
  • Follow twitter-tweets from selected profiles, ie. @PropellerheadSW
  • Making links pretty by getting the title of the link if available
If you have more suggestions, please don't hesitate to post them here!
a reason-file-to-post converter would be Nice.

tibah

19 Jun 2015

jappe wrote:a reason-file-to-post converter would be Nice.
Hm. Interesting idea, but I'm not 100% sure what you mean. A bot can use text information from somewhere else and put it into the chat or vice versa.

Do you mean, if someone is posting a link to a reason project it will automatically create a post in the forum? Seems complicated, but maybe it's manageable and not too open to abuse.

andruszkow is the one to shine some light on this, but he seems to be currently somewhere else! :)

KnowKontrol

21 Jun 2015

I have been pushing for a chat on this site for awhile! I am hoping Heir Luni makes it happen! There are very few good live chats left to talk music anymore I used to go to boyinaband... but since he became superstar the site is dying. 

tibah

21 Jun 2015

Well, I just saw you come and go. :)

Not monitoring the chat all the time, so it would be nice if people could stay for a while. Different time zones of course, but some GMT guys (like me) are usually around all day, getting more activity in the evening.

This isn't the official ReasonTalk chat, but Lunesis was kind enough to make it sticky, so eventually it can get bigger and grow over time. :)

Lunesis

21 Jun 2015

There is a chat room feature, but unfortunately you have to sign up seperately for it which makes it more of a pain in the ass then simply joining this IRC. The website devs here have been promising to integrate it for six months now, but I think they are just stringing me along to keep that cashflow coming out of my wallet :frown:

tibah

21 Jun 2015

Still thankful for making it sticky! :) The chat on here wasn't too bad, feature-wise.

We do have a bunch of nice people around already. I guess not everyone can be into chatting at all or get confused by how this *works*, compared to a forum where you have a fixed topic and enough time to read and follow along. A chat is way more interactive and, well, live. ;)  

Just have to get a few more regulars and new people won't be confused by nothing going on or how to start a conversation. A "Hi" is always a good place to start.

Kenni
Site Admin

23 Jun 2015

Lunesis wrote:There is a chat room feature, but unfortunately you have to sign up seperately for it which makes it more of a pain in the ass then simply joining this IRC. The website devs here have been promising to integrate it for six months now, but I think they are just stringing me along to keep that cashflow coming out of my wallet
Wait, what?

If you ever need help with anything, feel free to ask. Free of charge, of course. Integrating a chat login with current forum user database should be a very straight forward task.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Kenni
Site Admin

24 Jun 2015

A bot has now been added. Name is Thor

Read the update in the OP for more info.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

craven

04 Jul 2015

the chat proved already its usefulness! Thanks for all your work on the chat and the migration, Kenni! Much appreciated!
:ugeek:

Kenni
Site Admin

07 Jul 2015

Just to have it updated everywhere, as announced earlier the chat has now been integrated with the forum.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information