Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Seckin

28 Apr 2017

I've been thinking how - if ever - this whole VST expansion move could open up new possibilities for the RE format. Here's a scenario that came to my mind:

Now that Reason has VST, many more people download the trial. Some of those people end up buying it while some don't, which nevertheless means a much larger user base for Reason.

Now that Reason is more popular, its trait of being the only DAW that allows practical comparison between two formats begins to tell among the popular opinion: People load a VST in Reason and then the RE version of it and begin to take notice that the RE version is more stable, cleaner, faster and overall less of a pain to work with. They choose to work with the RE version of a VST whenever there is the option. More and more people start doing the same, well because RE is a newer technology than VST anyway.

And then this starts a format discussion and fast forward 2 years: Studio One (or some other DAW) comes up with a revolutionary announcement - they are introducing the RE format in their next release. Then another DAW and then another..

Slowly this becomes a trend and RE becomes Propellerhead's next gift to the DAW world after Rewire :P

Mind you, I'm not saying this will happen. I'm not even saying this might happen. Just a scenario I imagined and found worth posting here :D

And cheers and thanks Props for making my day :D
If you can't make a hit with Malstrom, Subtractor and Redrum, you can't make a hit at all.

Social Exodus

28 Apr 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote:Has anyone asked or otherwise know if Reason's Players will be usable with the new VST container?
Yes, and you can see a quick clip of that happening in the video. It works as you'd expect any instrument to work with Players.
Thanks Ryan, I'll look closer for that. I assumed as much, but these are uncharted waters!
:reason: 11 Suite/12 Perpetual License :re: Too many to count :refill: A few choice items

Nektar Panorama P4
Korg padKontrol

cursors

28 Apr 2017

It's going to be great using Thor and Cytomic's The Drop.

kuhliloach

28 Apr 2017

...also I forgot to say to Propellerheads: grats...

And Oh look I already have a VST folder. Hehe. With NI stuff in it. Good times.

Zac

28 Apr 2017

I've always loved Reason and I'm blown away by this announcement. I almost feel smug for having all these years experience of using Reason because to my thinking, the props implementation of vst support offers so much. Cv! I'll be going from 7.1 to 9.5... It's going to blow my mind!

jamiefbolton

28 Apr 2017

Maybe I missed it? Surely Reason will hose Audio Units?? Certainly VST is a general term, right?

esselfortium

28 Apr 2017

jamiefbolton wrote:Maybe I missed it? Surely Reason will hose Audio Units?? Certainly VST is a general term, right?
For now, at least, it's only hosting VST 2.4.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

jamiefbolton

28 Apr 2017

well that sucks.

Catblack

28 Apr 2017

Well this is one way of getting Kontakt content into Reason.

So 8 CVs in to the new VST device? Does that mean maybe a Combinator 2.0 with 8 dials and inputs is around the corner?
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

O1B

28 Apr 2017

Just when I was ready to load Logic.

Please, Gives us Console 1 with REason 9.5 w/VST Support.

That would be so nice.

jamiefbolton

28 Apr 2017

I just like the stock compressors in Logic. I have both AUs and VSTs for my Waves plug-ins, but there are a few stock Logic plug-ins I like too. Hmm...I really want to like Reason a DAW for mixing, but Logic works so well....hmmm...decisions decisions

ReasonUser

28 Apr 2017

Anyone else more excited about PDC than VST support? I remember it was not too long ago when someone from their team claimed it would be impossible to implement PDC. v9.5 is truly a case of the impossible coming to reality!

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

ReasonUser wrote:Anyone else more excited about PDC than VST support? I remember it was not too long ago when someone from their team claimed it would be impossible to implement PDC. v9.5 is truly a case of the impossible coming to reality!
I remember all that talk too how it couldn't be done.

ezelkow1

28 Apr 2017

QVprod wrote:
Chizmata wrote: they should have pushed way further into the direction where reason is already good at instead of using resources to catch up to other platforms strengths.
But they did. What other DAW allows CV control of VSTs? There are now even more things that can be done in Reason that can't be done elsewhere.
CV is basically the equivalent of another daws macro controls, or in the instance of live of bitwig, their entire suite of lfos/envs/etc. Its just either an on/off or 0-127 value which is the same thing those other daws do. Its just a different way to think about the same thing that you've been able to do for a long time in alot of daws.

The one thing reason has that's different is CV outs from env/lfo's of specific instruments/effects, but you could mock up something similar using a daws built in modulators
Last edited by ezelkow1 on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

sonicbyte wrote:A peek of VST in Reason with Justin Williams on his new video. :mrgreen:

This guy is on a mac,I thought only VST could be loaded in Reason?

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Catblack wrote:Well this is one way of getting Kontakt content into Reason.

So 8 CVs in to the new VST device? Does that mean maybe a Combinator 2.0 with 8 dials and inputs is around the corner?
Hey you might be onto something! I mean people asked for VST and they got it. And a larger Combinator is a piece of cake in comparison to what they've just done. So maybe it's in the works!

ezelkow1

28 Apr 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
sonicbyte wrote:A peek of VST in Reason with Justin Williams on his new video. :mrgreen:

There are mac vst too, its not a windows only format

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:

Bio
Macs use vst's??? Wow where have I been :o ? All this time thought macs used AU.

ezelkow1

28 Apr 2017

Goriila Texas wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:

Bio
Macs use vst's??? Wow where have I been :o ? All this time thought macs used AU.
Yea been that way forever. Only reason AU is a dominant format on mac's is because so many people use logic on macs. So if they are going to install the plugin once may as well make it the format that will work with logic along with most other daws. But mac vst is available from most plugin makers as well. Hell even bitwig on mac doesnt support AU and only supports VST

mozaic36

28 Apr 2017

Wow, this kind of blew my mind upon seeing the email in my inbox. It looks like there will be full CV control over any VST parameter as well, no?

Exowildebeest

28 Apr 2017

But will Ctrl+Z/undo work?

Goriila Texas

28 Apr 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:
ezelkow1 wrote:
Goriila Texas wrote:

Bio
Yea been that way forever. Only reason AU is a dominant format on mac's is because so many people use logic on macs. So if they are going to install the plugin once may as well make it the format that will work with logic along with most other daws. But mac vst is available from most plugin makers as well. Hell even bitwig on mac doesnt support AU and only supports VST
Ive only used a G5 with logic 7-8 and Reason 3 way back so I wouldn't know lol

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

zakalwe

28 Apr 2017

ReasonUser wrote:Anyone else more excited about PDC than VST support? I remember it was not too long ago when someone from their team claimed it would be impossible to implement PDC. v9.5 is truly a case of the impossible coming to reality!
yes, i just wonder about the details of that, like how it works with RE and CV/automation.

ableton live had horribly broken PDC for ages, so lets hope it's implemented well. i can't wait to start throwing saturation knob on parallel channels and sends without thinking about it.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:But will Ctrl+Z/undo work?
It does, yes!

• Information