Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

@Ostermilk and @chimp_spanner wish there was a like button still... agree with both your post also. :thumbs_up:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

ezelkow1 wrote:
Reason is not some special flower in this regard, many daws can come up with the exact same crazy routing setups that you can do in reason by splitting, combining, pulling signals from different parts of the audio path at will, automating devices on/off. Ableton can do all that stuff just as easy as reason can albeit with a different interface. They all have the same pitfalls that you cannot compensate for and those that you can
Eh, two guys were debating why someone from the Props said that PDC was impossible in Reason, and then they go and do it.

I explained to them that it IS still impossible, in all scenarios.

You walk in and go blah, blah, Ableton, blah, Ableton, PDC that covers every eventuality is impossible in Live too.

Cool story bro... :mrgreen:

I remember a time when PDC in Live was more of a liability than it was a help, I'm sure it's not like that now, but man it was woeful. I hope the Props start out better than that.

per-anders

28 Apr 2017

Very cool news, can't wait to play around with it, maybe I'll finally find a use for these UAD plugins I've got laying around. I wonder why they didn't opt for VST 3.0 though.

ReasonUser

28 Apr 2017

Anyone else mention that props could have added a few cosmetic tweaks, called it Reason 10, and charged us all $129? I have to commend them for making this one a free upgrade...

Ostermilk

28 Apr 2017

per-anders wrote:Very cool news, can't wait to play around with it, maybe I'll finally find a use for these UAD plugins I've got laying around. I wonder why they didn't opt for VST 3.0 though.
Looks to me like a shit-ton of work has already gone into this behind the scenes, I'm sure it'll happen eventually but even plug-ins that are available as VST3 are most often VST2 as well so I guess it still has the biggest audience.

It's the 20 year old format that just won't die...lol

miscend

28 Apr 2017

ReasonUser wrote:Anyone else mention that props could have added a few cosmetic tweaks, called it Reason 10, and charged us all $129? I have to commend them for making this one a free upgrade...
Reason 10 will have to be pretty rad to compare to the megaton that is Reason 9.5. They could have easily made this a full version upgrade.

kitekrazy

28 Apr 2017

Not really a Reason user but this one does not make me giddy. I liked the proprietary system. It was also the most stable DAW I have. No with VST support you can now go crazy over a plugin not working or showing up in a scan. If anything they should have taken some of their products like Thor and put it on the VST market. VST isn't going to make people drop their DAWs and go to Reason anytime soon.
The most unique DAW in my collection is no longer unique.

kitekrazy

28 Apr 2017

per-anders wrote:Very cool news, can't wait to play around with it, maybe I'll finally find a use for these UAD plugins I've got laying around. I wonder why they didn't opt for VST 3.0 though.
VST3 isn't foolproof in other DAWs.

kitekrazy

28 Apr 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
Karim wrote:
centomila wrote:
stevan wrote:I expecting many crashes with VST's ... :(

Was it not exact the "Reason" why we had no VST implementation ? Is the ultra stable Reason time over ?
From https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

"What about stability? Will Reason be less stable now?
We've implemented a limited crash protection system for VSTs that means we attempt to detect crashes in the VST and prevent the plugin from crashing Reason. Since VST plugins are third-party code, it is still possible to experience problems with plugins. Keep in mind that our VST support in Reason in itself doesn't make the application less stable if you don't have or use any VST plugins."

For my experience, most problems with VST stability comes from the host (especially in the Live 8 era) or from pirated vsts.

---------

I'm happy for serum, some kontakt libraries and fabfilter... except that, i didn't miss anything on reason :p.... but anyway is a good and REALLY unexpected news :D

----------

Rethinking about all the "PH acquired by the rich guys" i've imagined it's gone something like this

Money guy: what is your number one request from users?
PH guy: well... they ask about VSTs support but...
Money guy: and why you don't have it?
PH Guy: ehm...
Money Guy: Add those damn STD or how it's called. Now.
PH Guy: (oh fuck)... ok :(
about the part of money I THOUGHT EXACTLY THE SAME THING AHAHAHHA. Sense of practical business... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
This is just stupid. You can't just pull VST support out of your sleeve in a few months. They've been working on this for over a year, at least.
I suspect that about two years ago, they saw that after the growth of Reason with RE's, that the growth was stagnating. At the same time, the RE platform matured. Now that it's no longer a danger to RE's, and the most obvious way to start growing again, VST's can be introduced.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PH shop starts selling VST's at some point as well. They might want to build a huge music making platform... Verdane must have known this was coming of course, seeing potential.
Insane pricing and taking half of a developer's cut will do that.

aburazaru

28 Apr 2017

I'm just over here panicking about whether or not I'll get a beta test invite... super stoked on this! No more sound card I/O voodoo to get VSTs to work! I'm curious to see how the VST patch settings will hold through a save/close/reopen thing. What I mean is, if I load up a Kontakt instrument or Serum, init the patch, then build a monster sound, will reason save the current state of that VST through a close and reopen it that way tomorrow when I work on the same track again?
How was I supposed to know "don't touch" meant to not push the big...red...button?

strangers
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Some very interesting posts in here. I wasn't going to upgrade 8.3 to 9, but this may have swayed me. This will be a huge time saver to be able to use Toontrack products within Reason without having to use any loopback anymore. I don't know all of the technical aspects like many of you, I'm just hoping I'll be able to run EzDrummer 2 or Superior Drums without having to work in multiple locations anymore.

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
Camera / Screenshot - interesting, what's that all about?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Noplan
Competition Winner

28 Apr 2017

Anyone else mention that props could have added a few cosmetic tweaks, called it Reason 10, and charged us all $129? I have to commend them for making this one a free upgrade...
They made it free because they want to test it extensively for R10. They avoid big shit-Storms when they make it free.
Last edited by Noplan on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

O1B

28 Apr 2017

This'll fit quite nicely into my Rack:
This is just too much.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

28 Apr 2017

Can you just use your normal VST folder? I'm nervous to install all these iLok things and then to possibly have to change the folder. It gives me chills ;)

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

Noplan wrote:
They made it free because they want to test it extensively for R10.
It isn't free? it's free for Reason 9 users like ALL point updates are if you're already on the same main number version. They could have made this a pay what you want update though like they did on 6.5 to introduce Rack Extensions.

doctecazoid

28 Apr 2017

I think a few years back to the YouTube vid of Ernst introducing the (then new) Rack Extension feature for Reason, explaining along the way why going the VST route was a bad idea, and as I let it sink in that they are about to completely contradict that stance and give users a feature they have been clamoring for since Reason 1.0, I am reminded of the line Ian McShane delivers in the wonderful movie Sexy Beast...

"Where there's a will, there's a way ... and there's a fucking will ... and there's a fucking way!"

:puf_wink:

decibel

28 Apr 2017

Electric-Metal wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote:Has anyone asked or otherwise know if Reason's Players will be usable with the new VST container?
Would be ridiculous if it wouldn't work.

yes they do work ;)

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

O1B wrote:This'll fit quite nicely into my Rack:
This is just too much.
Nice. Magnus Lidstrom doesn't have to wait for SDK III nor go through the hassel of coding another RE haha!

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

decibel wrote:
Electric-Metal wrote:
Siberian Khatru wrote:Has anyone asked or otherwise know if Reason's Players will be usable with the new VST container?
Would be ridiculous if it wouldn't work.

yes they do work ;)
Didn't you watch the video?...it's shown in the video. You can.

mind2069

28 Apr 2017

doctecazoid wrote:I think a few years back to the YouTube vid of Ernst introducing the (then new) Rack Extension feature for Reason, explaining along the way why going the VST route was a bad idea, and as I let it sink in that they are about to completely contradict that stance and give users a feature they have been clamoring for since Reason 1.0, I am reminded of the line Ian McShane delivers in the wonderful movie Sexy Beast...

"Where there's a will, there's a way ... and there's a fucking will ... and there's a fucking way!"

:puf_wink:
I remember like it was yesterday, just like a good politician, there all the same, hey big money is involved (verdane), but he wont say it out loud, he goes on like vst's was the best logical thing now. but I dont blame him, I reverted on positions I once taught I would never change, imagine if millions of bucks were involved. He sold out, but Im glad he finally did, I will be able to get all these guitar amps simulator (mercurial) that were never coming anyway.

And it not like there a gun to your head forcing you to use vst's, the only downside, but im pretty sure that the RE's format is pretty much dead (i mean no major dev will go onbard, it will slow down), they will release stuff like cv and sequencer tools, maybe I'm wrong but I'm ready to bet on it.
Last edited by mind2069 on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

RandomSkratch wrote:
chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.
So what's that mean, is it just the way the VST is displayed, 2 different modes, Camera or Screenshot?
Attachments
Plug-In Device Camera.JPG
Plug-In Device Camera.JPG (38.15 KiB) Viewed 1956 times
Plug-In Device Screenshot.JPG
Plug-In Device Screenshot.JPG (34.81 KiB) Viewed 1956 times

Creativemind

28 Apr 2017

And does anyone know if the delay compensation is gonna be for Reason in it's entirety or is it only usable on VST's?

EsotericSound

28 Apr 2017

This is fantastic news. :puf_smile: Since version 2.5, I've enjoyed watching Reason's evolution.

chimp_spanner

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:And does anyone know if the delay compensation is gonna be for Reason in it's entirety or is it only usable on VST's?
Entirety :)

• Information