Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
swamptooth

28 Apr 2017

Oquasec wrote:Uhe zebra came to reason.
yeah, that's a beastly combination.

Last Alternative

28 Apr 2017

Mattais told me delay compensation is all around for Reason. I asked on Facebook.
https://lastalternative.bandcamp.com
:reason: 12.7.4 | MacBook Pro (16”, 2021), OS Sonoma, M1 Max, 4TB SSD, 64GB RAM | quality instruments & gear

swamptooth

28 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
pjeudy wrote:Here's a quote I posted a few weeks ago regarding Propellerhead and the POTENTIAL for VST in reason, some users where saying never...and I said... : ;)
pjeudy wrote:first of all, I'm old enough to have learned to never say never! EVER!
If Propellerhead's back was against the wall, i.e (sales wise or in fading popularity )..then you would be surprised on how quickly the inconceivable would become conceivable (I'm saying this as an example, not saying that there back is against the wall)
Type "propellerhead" in Google Trends.

'That said, I think it's insane. Insane in the good way. I can use Reaktor and Stutter Edit in Reason? F'in A Cotton, F'in A!
you can actually get the results with any daw maker on google trends. the only ones that don't get consistent drop-off are ableton live and studio one. the other ones... well, users probably find their niche and don't search as much.

centomila

28 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
Karim wrote:
centomila wrote:
stevan wrote:I expecting many crashes with VST's ... :(

Was it not exact the "Reason" why we had no VST implementation ? Is the ultra stable Reason time over ?
From https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

"What about stability? Will Reason be less stable now?
We've implemented a limited crash protection system for VSTs that means we attempt to detect crashes in the VST and prevent the plugin from crashing Reason. Since VST plugins are third-party code, it is still possible to experience problems with plugins. Keep in mind that our VST support in Reason in itself doesn't make the application less stable if you don't have or use any VST plugins."

For my experience, most problems with VST stability comes from the host (especially in the Live 8 era) or from pirated vsts.

---------

I'm happy for serum, some kontakt libraries and fabfilter... except that, i didn't miss anything on reason :p.... but anyway is a good and REALLY unexpected news :D

----------

Rethinking about all the "PH acquired by the rich guys" i've imagined it's gone something like this

Money guy: what is your number one request from users?
PH guy: well... they ask about VSTs support but...
Money guy: and why you don't have it?
PH Guy: ehm...
Money Guy: Add those damn STD or how it's called. Now.
PH Guy: (oh fuck)... ok :(
about the part of money I THOUGHT EXACTLY THE SAME THING AHAHAHHA. Sense of practical business... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
This is just stupid. You can't just pull VST support out of your sleeve in a few months. They've been working on this for over a year, at least.
Don`t be so angry... It was just a joke :) ... Anyway an investement like the verdane one, require a lot of time too. Maybe they said "you have one year to add vst support".

I know it`s not the most realistic conversation possible like the first one... I just like make movies in my head. You don`t? :)

RandomSkratch

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:
chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.
So what's that mean, is it just the way the VST is displayed, 2 different modes, Camera or Screenshot?
It serves 1 function and I wouldn't get too hung up on it... Lol. You'll see (and probably say, "oh.. That's it?")

WongoTheSane

28 Apr 2017

TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Can you just use your normal VST folder? I'm nervous to install all these iLok things and then to possibly have to change the folder. It gives me chills ;)
Yes, you can. By default, Reason will scan the two most common VST folders, but you can add as many as you want in the Preferences, including folders located on a secondary drive.

WongoTheSane

28 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:
chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.
So what's that mean, is it just the way the VST is displayed, 2 different modes, Camera or Screenshot?
Camera was the name of that button in previous betas I think, now it's Screenshot. It allows you to take a screenshot of a VST so they appear in the browser:
screenshot.JPG
screenshot.JPG (32.83 KiB) Viewed 2555 times
Note that in this picture, I have screenshotted Charlatan and tunefish4 but not Synth1 which appears as a generic VST (I haven't gotten around to it yet). The reason for this is that VSTs can have vastly different visuals depending on the context (think Kontakt and its thousands of devices for instance), so you get to choose exactly which view you get in your browser.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

28 Apr 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
TheGuyNotNamedBob wrote:Can you just use your normal VST folder? I'm nervous to install all these iLok things and then to possibly have to change the folder. It gives me chills ;)
Yes, you can. By default, Reason will scan the two most common VST folders, but you can add as many as you want in the Preferences, including folders located on a secondary drive.
thanks

CephaloPod

28 Apr 2017

I've been with Reason since, I think, 1.5. I've always longed for plug-in support, but understood why it wasn't implemented. REs came out and it seemed like everything was solved..."developers, port your plugins to RE format in a matter of hours!" We all thought we'd get most of our favorite plugins in a matter of months. NOPE. Didn't happen.

I supported the RE format as best I could, spent hundreds of US$ on REs. While I'm excited to use plugins like Diva, Omnisphere, Zebra, Kontakt, etc in Reason, I doubt I will ever buy another RE. The RE format never really delivered what I thought it would. I kind of wish I hadn't shelled out all that money for REs, but it was my choice.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

SA Studio

28 Apr 2017

Gorgon wrote:
pjeudy wrote:Here's a quote I posted a few weeks ago regarding Propellerhead and the POTENTIAL for VST in reason, some users where saying never...and I said... : ;)
pjeudy wrote:first of all, I'm old enough to have learned to never say never! EVER!
If Propellerhead's back was against the wall, i.e (sales wise or in fading popularity )..then you would be surprised on how quickly the inconceivable would become conceivable (I'm saying this as an example, not saying that there back is against the wall)

'That said, I think it's insane. Insane in the good way. I can use Reaktor and Stutter Edit in Reason? F'in A Cotton, F'in A!
I've been talking about Stutter Edit for years and years. Nothing for Reason has ever come remotely close to it.

When Reason users compare Glitch or Buffre to Stutter Edit, they're going to pee themselves.

SA Studio

28 Apr 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
Gorgon wrote:
Karim wrote:
centomila wrote:
stevan wrote:I expecting many crashes with VST's ... :(

Was it not exact the "Reason" why we had no VST implementation ? Is the ultra stable Reason time over ?
From https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-95

"What about stability? Will Reason be less stable now?
We've implemented a limited crash protection system for VSTs that means we attempt to detect crashes in the VST and prevent the plugin from crashing Reason. Since VST plugins are third-party code, it is still possible to experience problems with plugins. Keep in mind that our VST support in Reason in itself doesn't make the application less stable if you don't have or use any VST plugins."

For my experience, most problems with VST stability comes from the host (especially in the Live 8 era) or from pirated vsts.

---------

I'm happy for serum, some kontakt libraries and fabfilter... except that, i didn't miss anything on reason :p.... but anyway is a good and REALLY unexpected news :D

----------

Rethinking about all the "PH acquired by the rich guys" i've imagined it's gone something like this

Money guy: what is your number one request from users?
PH guy: well... they ask about VSTs support but...
Money guy: and why you don't have it?
PH Guy: ehm...
Money Guy: Add those damn STD or how it's called. Now.
PH Guy: (oh fuck)... ok :(
about the part of money I THOUGHT EXACTLY THE SAME THING AHAHAHHA. Sense of practical business... [emoji16][emoji16][emoji16]

Inviato dal mio SM-G925F utilizzando Tapatalk
This is just stupid. You can't just pull VST support out of your sleeve in a few months. They've been working on this for over a year, at least.
I suspect that about two years ago, they saw that after the growth of Reason with RE's, that the growth was stagnating. At the same time, the RE platform matured. Now that it's no longer a danger to RE's, and the most obvious way to start growing again, VST's can be introduced.

I wouldn't be surprised if the PH shop starts selling VST's at some point as well. They might want to build a huge music making platform... Verdane must have known this was coming of course, seeing potential.
You guys, they devalued Rack Extension by 70% in the 14th month (im pretty sure it was the 14th month) that Rack Extensions were out.

That's when the first 70% massive bundles appeared.

Guys, they've had this in the works for a long time. And wisely so.

However, there was a lot of time wasted in the last 5 years and a lot of trying to get blood from a turnip. :cry:

And a lot of hate and bullying thrown at people who wanted VST. I'm glad those days are over and we can all finally get on with making music in Reason without restrictions. :thumbs_up: :reason:
Last edited by SA Studio on 28 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Jagwah

28 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:
Gorgon wrote:

I've been talking about Stutter Edit for years and years. Nothing for Reason has ever come remotely close to it.

When Reason users compare Glitch or Buffre to Stutter Edit, they're going to pee themselves.
That sounds like a lot of fun, remember looking at it years ago.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

SA Studio

28 Apr 2017

I bet Magnus is absolutely stoked. He's free to create what he envisions for Reason.

Gonna be an amazing new era.

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:I bet Magnus is absolutely stoked. He's free to create what he envisions for Reason.

Gonna be an amazing new era.
He doesn't have to build it for REASON..all he needs to do is just build it :thumbs_up:
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

Also...this :
WAVES.png
WAVES.png (52.52 KiB) Viewed 2519 times

pjeudy

28 Apr 2017

No more seeing a VST device and dreaming about it in REASON...Soon as a developers announces a new device..Boom it's available in REASON end of story!:

swamptooth

28 Apr 2017

still use one of these so i'd like better external midi support
Attachments
20170428_191716.jpg
20170428_191716.jpg (914.64 KiB) Viewed 2505 times

fieldframe
RE Developer

28 Apr 2017

CephaloPod wrote:I've been with Reason since, I think, 1.5. I've always longed for plug-in support, but understood why it wasn't implemented. REs came out and it seemed like everything was solved..."developers, port your plugins to RE format in a matter of hours!" We all thought we'd get most of our favorite plugins in a matter of months. NOPE. Didn't happen.

I supported the RE format as best I could, spent hundreds of US$ on REs. While I'm excited to use plugins like Diva, Omnisphere, Zebra, Kontakt, etc in Reason, I doubt I will ever buy another RE. The RE format never really delivered what I thought it would. I kind of wish I hadn't shelled out all that money for REs, but it was my choice.
I too have spent hundreds on RE, but VST in Reason just makes me more glad I bought them all. Every RE I've purchased was an investment in Reason's always-inspiring rack workflow, and that's not going away. Getting to use VSTs in the same workflow now just makes those native RE devices even more valuable in my opinion.

16BitBear

29 Apr 2017

zakalwe wrote:
Marc Swing wrote:
danc wrote:One thing I've been awaiting in Reason for a long time is a much more advanced sampler - beyond NN-XT which has served me well, but always feel like I'm fighting it rather than working with it (especially on the splitting up of samples across the keyboard). VST could be my route to making this happen. There are plenty of really strong and well-supported VST sample players/editors to choose from.
Yes same here! any suggestions of a good vst sampler?
it has a pig of an interface but TX16Wx is probably the best freeware sampler you can download right now. it also has a premium version with some additional features. it depends what you're looking for though.
I really like TAL Sampler for the vintage feel but overall, I would agree that TX16Wx is a fantastic VST sampler especially if you truly want to make samples not just playing them (Kontakt!). The Pro upgrade is worth the cost.

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

how do you cancel reason 9 trial? downloaded it a few hours back but can't upgrade to reason 9 wtf.
[Edit] nvm it worked] Gonna be using this shit so much.
That tableosc RE is getting hooked up to some zebra 2 modules.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

SebAudio

29 Apr 2017

mind2069 wrote: im pretty sure that the RE's format is pretty much dead (i mean no major dev will go onbard, it will slow down), they will release stuff like cv and sequencer tools, maybe I'm wrong but I'm ready to bet on it.
Who's gonna buy a RE now ? I think nobody. I mean do you really want to buy something you can only use inside Reason, can't sell, just to have it in the rack (that is stil great) with poor graphics resolution (that today kill the "rack advantage") ?
When I think about all the investements some made in developping RE... well it's business !

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

If you have no use for reason or it's RE format and stock devices, you're not using the right daw and didn't bother to dig into reason.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information