Reason 9.5 – VST in Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
taddx

29 Apr 2017

NI Reaktor inside of Reason holy cow!

GRIFTY

29 Apr 2017

Several angles-
1. VSTs will decrease sales/development of RE's

2. Reason NEEDED VSTs to be taken seriously as a DAW--it was always a mistake to exclude them

3. Props is a small team with limited resources--it was likely more difficult to implement into the code then many of you realize.

4. VSTs will create a burst of Reason sales. Many professionals have a soft spot for Reason but just never bought a legit copy because it didn't support VSTs. Magazines can drop the "great features but sadly lacks VST support" tag line in their coverage, likely leading to lots of new adopters.

5. Perhaps this burst of new Reason sales will be good for RE sales. Perhaps. It's kind of like Honda saying "perhaps all of these Toyota sales will lead more people to consider Honda". There's a chance, but the reality is not likely.

6. Props likely needed to do this in order to stay competitive. With much of the word of mouth about Reason 8 & 9 being very negative, I'm guessing the whole "best selling version ever" thing was a smokescreen. I imagine version 9 was actually their LEAST successful version (if not then 8 surely was), and Props need a cash infusion to stay solvent and continue development of version 10.

6a. The older the platform gets, the more complicated its development becomes. The problems become more and more abstract and old code looks more and more foreign. All the while the amount of assets grows and becomes more difficult simply to navigate. Just working on the base program is likely requiring Props more time and manpower than it used to (this also fails to take into account the increasing costs of marketing that Props is obviously incurring). By releasing this as a free point upgrade, they will save version 9 sales (which, again, I imagine were quite bad) and earn them a little bit of money to improve the base program once more. Because of this, I imagine the 10 upgrade will be yet another workflow update, likely sequencer related. It will likely spawn another choir of detractors saying "What a small, pointless upgrade". But I don't think it matters anymore, because suddenly, in this one flash, Reason is a legitimate DAW. It can be taken seriously in the professional world now. It will sell better in general, across the board because of this.

aallvor

29 Apr 2017

Personally I'm feeling a bit nostalgic for the good old days when a new Reason version meant getting new (usually) awesome native devices. Vst integration is fine, but the real news for me is PDC. I'm actually running my other DAW because of the lack of PDC in Reason - bye bye other DAW :D

I was just looking in my vst folder today, and even though there's stuff from Eventide, Psp Audio, D16, Sknote, NI etc. none of it is indispensable - for me workflow and an inspiring interface is much more important than having plugins x and y.

All IMO, of course :)

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

Use what you like tbh. waiting for that beta so I can see how synth edit works with it natively since surprisingly, it's layout is simple and easy on the eyes, can be used as another modular synth :lol:
Last edited by Oquasec on 29 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

EdGrip

29 Apr 2017

Grifty's post totally covers what I meant my post to be, minus the decreasing sales bit.

Someone early in this thread mentioned typing "Propellerhead" into Google Trends; but you get exactly the same line graph if you type in Cubase, Cakewalk Sonar, FL Studio, or any other DAW - so there are confounding factors that make this meaningless for our purposes because DAW use in general is obviously growing.

rexbrewer

29 Apr 2017

This is good for Reason. When you open up the program and bring more users in you will start to get other companies like Sample Magic and Loopmasters and the like making exclusive Reason devices like they do Ableton because the program will have more users making it more feasible for these companies to do so. Also if Reason keeps developing things like the Player devices and come out with a new killer synth or re write the code on the existing synths, shit is going to get wild. Opening up to Vsts has way more implications then just being able to use VST instruments and effects.

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:
chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.
So what's that mean, is it just the way the VST is displayed, 2 different modes, Camera or Screenshot?
Camera was the name of that button in previous betas I think, now it's Screenshot. It allows you to take a screenshot of a VST so they appear in the browser:

screenshot.JPG

Note that in this picture, I have screenshotted Charlatan and tunefish4 but not Synth1 which appears as a generic VST (I haven't gotten around to it yet). The reason for this is that VSTs can have vastly different visuals depending on the context (think Kontakt and its thousands of devices for instance), so you get to choose exactly which view you get in your browser.
So the camera thing won't be there on release, is that what you're saying?
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

SA Studio wrote:I bet Magnus is absolutely stoked. He's free to create what he envisions for Reason.

Gonna be an amazing new era.
Not sure what that means? Magnus can continue to make VST's for any VST compatible daw like he could last week lol!

Sorry mate. Chuckled me.

miscend

29 Apr 2017

The VST support has so many caveats though. Everything Prop's does has to have a catch. Just like when they brought in midi out, it worked but with some limitations that affect the more hardcore users.

WongoTheSane

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
WongoTheSane wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
RandomSkratch wrote:
chrischrischris wrote:Hi,

As I watch The Video for The 3RD time I am noticing that there are 4 options when A VST window is open. Keep Open / Automation / Remote / Camera.

Camera is changed in a later image to Screenshot.

I'm wondering if that is something to do with the way that Undo / Redo will be implemented. Interesting.

Chris
The Camera/Screenshot is just that - for an image (for displaying the plugin). Has nothing to do with undo/redo.
So what's that mean, is it just the way the VST is displayed, 2 different modes, Camera or Screenshot?
Camera was the name of that button in previous betas I think, now it's Screenshot. It allows you to take a screenshot of a VST so they appear in the browser:

screenshot.JPG

Note that in this picture, I have screenshotted Charlatan and tunefish4 but not Synth1 which appears as a generic VST (I haven't gotten around to it yet). The reason for this is that VSTs can have vastly different visuals depending on the context (think Kontakt and its thousands of devices for instance), so you get to choose exactly which view you get in your browser.
So the camera thing won't be there on release, is that what you're saying?
No, I just meant it will probably be called "Screenshot" instead of "Camera". Unless they find that "Snapshot" fits better? The underlying function will be available whatever its name is, though.

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

miscend wrote:The VST support has so many caveats though. Everything Prop's does has to have a catch. Just like when they brought in midi out, it worked but with some limitations that affect the more hardcore users.
The only thing I've found so far is that multiple MIDI tracks to multi-timbral VSTs isn't possible. Everything else seems to work just fine, including remote maps and automation.

RDS

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
SA Studio wrote:I bet Magnus is absolutely stoked. He's free to create what he envisions for Reason.

Not sure what that means? Magnus can continue to make VST's for any VST compatible daw like he could last week lol!

Sorry mate. Chuckled me.
Well since Magnus is more or less "responsible" for the fact that we now can use VST in reason (at least according to his twitter feed) he have some insight of the whole thing...

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
Moccrok wrote:Sorry if this has been answered before, but my question is Like Cubase Pro 9 will Reason 9.5 only use 64-Bit Vst's? Or will 32-Bit be usable as well?
Like with any 64bit DAW it will run native 64bit plugins, as with any other 64 bit DAW to run 32 bit plug-ins they will need to be bridged. Some DAWs e.g Sonar have bridging built-in and some you need to use a 3rd party bridge. e.g jBridge is a popular choice.

https://jstuff.wordpress.com/jbridge/

Bear in mind bridging 32 bit plug-ins isn't an exacting science and some plug-ins will work better than others.
Was does Bridged mean?

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

RDS wrote:
Creativemind wrote:

Sorry mate. Chuckled me.
Well since Magnus is more or less "responsible" for the fact that we now can use VST in reason (at least according to his twitter feed) he have some insight of the whole thing...
Ok cool! His twitter feed?....spill!

Goriila Texas

29 Apr 2017

Subscription is most definitely coming now watch. They got y'all hooked now.

Mucrafta

29 Apr 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
miscend wrote:The VST support has so many caveats though. Everything Prop's does has to have a catch. Just like when they brought in midi out, it worked but with some limitations that affect the more hardcore users.
The only thing I've found so far is that multiple MIDI tracks to multi-timbral VSTs isn't possible. Everything else seems to work just fine, including remote maps and automation.

what about the combination with midi out??? what brings multi output when you cant use multi midi channel?

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

miscend wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
miscend wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Mattais told me delay compensation is all around for Reason. I asked on Facebook.

That would change the way old song projects sound. I hope there is a way to disable delay compensation.
Yes there is a nice switch in the transport bar currently.
Nice!
Oh nice. Are you allowed to screenshot that? Would be lovely to see your delay switch lol!
Last edited by Creativemind on 29 Apr 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Abstrax

29 Apr 2017

Blind speculation: the learn function in the VST's CV programmer may be added to the combinator at a later date. Just like convolution was added before sample import...

RDS

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
RDS wrote:
Creativemind wrote:

Sorry mate. Chuckled me.
Some quotes...

Magnus Lidström‏ @soniccharge

\O/ Finally PH found some use for that VST support I coded for them 10+ years ago. Never thought I'd see the day, but neither did you right?
No no. I've been involved this time around too and the project began by dusting off a library I built for them long ago. Hence the tweet.

Creativemind

29 Apr 2017

RDS wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
RDS wrote:
Creativemind wrote:

Sorry mate. Chuckled me.
Wow, nice. Good man he is. A decade ago...what a wait lol!

Some quotes...

Magnus Lidström‏ @soniccharge

\O/ Finally PH found some use for that VST support I coded for them 10+ years ago. Never thought I'd see the day, but neither did you right?
No no. I've been involved this time around too and the project began by dusting off a library I built for them long ago. Hence the tweet.

joeyluck

29 Apr 2017

Creativemind wrote:
miscend wrote:
joeyluck wrote:
miscend wrote:
Last Alternative wrote:Mattais told me delay compensation is all around for Reason. I asked on Facebook.

That would change the way old song projects sound. I hope there is a way to disable delay compensation.
Yes there is a nice switch in the transport bar currently.
Nice!
Oh nice. Are you allowed to screenshot that? Would be lovely to see your delay switch lol!
I mentioned a link in the following comment. You can see it in the images on Propellerhead's site.

Jagwah

29 Apr 2017

After all that time trying to convert SeamlessR's FM synthesis videos from Sytrus to Blamsoft's Zero (with the help of a conversion table from Blamsoft for this purpose - http://blamsoft.com/tutorials/zero-conv ... -semitones ) I can now follow SeamlessR's tutorials with Sytrus itself. Not sure if I would then try and convert things back around after it, REs were quite often 'limited' to fit Reason and the SDK and that always pained me, seems that isn't a concern of mine anymore.

pjeudy

29 Apr 2017

Jagwah wrote:I can now follow SeamlessR's tutorials with Sytrus itself.
? how ? Sytrus is only available to FL studio.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

chimp_spanner

29 Apr 2017

pjeudy wrote:
Jagwah wrote:I can now follow SeamlessR's tutorials with Sytrus itself.
? how ? Sytrus is only available to FL studio.
Don't all the FL plugins come as VST versions as well?

Oquasec

29 Apr 2017

every last one. https://www.image-line.com/ FOR YEARS.
Still don't own most of those because I don't really phuck with imageline products if ya get me. :lol:
Tons of useful plugs that don't get use from many people too, which is a shame but eh, what can you do lol.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information