Could Reason get a better multicore support?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Olivier

02 May 2017

Jolla wrote:
avasopht wrote:
Jolla wrote:unfortunately Reason not supporting full my amd fx 350 CPU. only 4 core from 8. Other Daw , like Samplitude, Reaper use full power my cpu. It's sadly..

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk
They're not real cores and for DSP it doesn't always give a speed up. Where Reason processes in batches of 64 frames you might find hyperthreading causing spikes (or maybe they're just being conservative for the fun of it).

At most you might see 25% speedup using all virtual cores, but you might also suffer from frequent dropouts.

In any case I wouldn't worry about it. The aim is not to reach 100% CPU (that's unstable) but to facilitate production with minimal issues.
problem is that, amd fx350 is not 4 core with hyperthreading, it's 8-Core/8 thread CPU. that's not have hyperthreading like intel chip with 4 core.

As far as I understand it, for rendering audio you need a floating point unit and I remember reading not every amd core has one.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Jolla

02 May 2017

it seems to me you remember very old amd)) in multithread fx350 easy beat i5 and old i7 too

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

Jolla wrote:it seems to me you remember very old amd)) in multithread fx350 easy beat i5 and old i7 too

They're 8 integer cores but have 4 floating point units, so for DSP it's effectively 4 cores. Most of what's going on in your plugins uses the floating point units.

Jolla

02 May 2017

avasopht wrote:
Jolla wrote:it seems to me you remember very old amd)) in multithread fx350 easy beat i5 and old i7 too

They're 8 integer cores but have 4 floating point units, so for DSP it's effectively 4 cores. Most of what's going on in your plugins uses the floating point units.
hm, where is this information?

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

Jolla wrote:
avasopht wrote:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/0 ... ued_cores/

Jolla

02 May 2017

avasopht wrote:
Jolla wrote:
avasopht wrote:

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/0 ... ued_cores/
well. that may be true and you right, but that's not the point. I'm not an expert in coding cores.
But I have 5 years experience of usin AMD Fx8350 and I`m satisfied.
I'm not interested in the architecture of the processor, but as a user i`m wondering why the Reaper, Ableton, Samplitude uses 8 cores, but the Reason only 3?
Unfortunately, I notice that the Reason has been very hungry for resources since version 6.
The Props too quickly drop support for old computers and operating systems.
My old Mac with Os 10.5 is not supported with Reason 7, but is supported by Logic 9 and Ableton 8. I don't know why they do that, but it is very inconvenient in professional activities.

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 May 2017

Jolla wrote: I'm not interested in the architecture of the processor, but as a user i`m wondering why the Reaper, Ableton, Samplitude uses 8 cores, but the Reason only 3?
Sorry if the answer is a little too technical. It is a question about a technical feature.

Long story short, 8 of those cores do not give you anywhere near twice the amount of performance as 4. At best it would be like having 5 cores, but might come at the cost of unpredictable dropouts.
Jolla wrote: My old Mac with Os 10.5 is not supported with Reason 7, but is supported by Logic 9 and Ableton 8. I don't know why they do that, but it is very inconvenient in professional activities.
Logic 9 and Ableton 8 came out in 2009. Reason 7 came out in 2013. Logic X came out in 2013 and does not support OSX 10.5. Logic X is made by Apple. From version 9.2, Ableton is not compatible with OSX 10.5 or 10.6.

So it's not just Propellerhead, but Logic that stopped supporting OSX 10.5 from 2013, and Ableton 9.2 from 2015.

Jolla

03 May 2017

Ок, Avasopht. technically you are right. Don't want to argue with you, but we're talking about different things. Technical answers do not answer my questions. :puf_smile:

• Information