Reason 8.3 Official Public Test Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Koshdukai

09 Jun 2015

ahs wrote:the blue arrow schould be always there and if you wish you can click him or the device directly!
Koshdukai wrote:Always present near every existing rack device? wow, that would be even more visually annoying than it is now, IMHO :)
JiggeryPokery wrote: [...] if it was on every device it would actually be harder to tell which device was actually in focus when looking at the rack. [...]
Maybe the answer is simpler than what's being presented to us:

Keep the skeuomorphic style of the Rack and use less visually intrusive note-on style LEDs embedded on the wooden sides.

This would get rid of that flat neon blue marker(s).

...just my humble opinion, as usual :)

LudvigC
Reason Studios

09 Jun 2015

ahs wrote:the blue arrow schould be always there and if you wish you can click him or the device directly!
Koshdukai wrote:Always present near every existing rack device? wow, that would be even more visually annoying than it is now, IMHO :)
We feel having the blue tab/button visible for all devices all the time would be intrusive and unnecessarily cluttering.

We also feel that using double clicking for this would be too obscure, with no affordance (hard to find).

The "show a tab on the selected device" feature is a middle way, which we so far feel works fine.

BTW, a couple of things that are good to know about the testing:

* With release a couple of weeks away, we won't redesign stuff (or add features) - only fix bugs. But don't let that stop you from voicing your opinions - we take notes! :-)

* Please report bugs by mail (to reason83@propellerheads.se as mentioned on the testing page)! We'll try to read the posts here, but it's easy to miss things.

Thanks again / LudvigC

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

09 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote: [...] if it was on every device it would actually be harder to tell which device was actually in focus when looking at the rack. [...]
Koshdukai wrote:Maybe the answer is simpler than what's being presented to us:

Keep the skeuomorphic style of the Rack and use less visually intrusive note-on style LEDs embedded on the wooden sides.

This would get rid of that flat neon blue marker(s).

...just my humble opinion, as usual :)
Trouble is, the wooden sides are normally used for navigation of the entire rack, so putting permanent markers there isn't viable: again, you'd have a similar problem to "device drag from anywhere".

At least with the current view, a large and fairly easy-to-hit arrow appears and is obvious and less likely to be "accidentallied" ;)

edit: yeah, what LudvigC said...!

joeyluck

09 Jun 2015

LudvigC wrote:
* Please report bugs by mail (to reason83@propellerheads.se as mentioned on the testing page)! We'll try to read the posts here, but it's easy to miss things.

Thanks again / LudvigC
Thanks for being here :)

Hey Brent, is ReasonTalk still at it's cap for number of forums?

I think it would be handy to have a forum dedicated to beta testing (so folks can make new threads for newly found bugs/suggestions). Would be easier to follow/keep track. It would function the same way the private beta forum operated in the past...

Koshdukai

09 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:Trouble is, the wooden sides are normally used for navigation of the entire rack, so putting permanent markers there isn't viable: again, you'd have a similar problem to "device drag from anywhere".
I LED "dot" the size and position of the current blue arrow. There would be plenty of free wood area for nav dragging the rack as there is now with the blue marker, IMHO.
JiggeryPokery wrote:edit: yeah, what LudvigC said...!
yeah yeah... too late now :)

Olivier

09 Jun 2015

On the RV, when using the gate, if decay mod is enabled within the gate, the displayed convolution gets updated (for its decay) in real time when audio is going through. Is this intended ? It only happens for the convolution, none of the other reverb types do this.

If not i'll gladly send you the project file where this is happening to illustrate.
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Exowildebeest

09 Jun 2015

Don't like the new colour on the RV7000 though, it's the type of cheap blue I have an aversion to.

But oh well details, it's awesome!

ncurry

09 Jun 2015

I'd love if Props would do a tutorial about recording IR for the new device. Maybe someone else on the forum has come good tips for doing this. Really, I just miss Frank's VOs.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

09 Jun 2015

Koshdukai wrote:I LED "dot" the size and position of the current blue arrow. There would be plenty of free wood area for nav dragging the rack as there is now with the blue marker, IMHO.

Don't forget that not all devices are the same size, so such icons would appear at almost random positions up and down the sides. I suspect it would look really odd that way.

But we're agreed the current method is good, yes??! ;)

Julibee

09 Jun 2015

Sooo.... Official Props is referring beta testers to the unofficial forum of our homeless selves, made when the Official Props Forum closed?

Perhaps I need more coffee, but it seems we are useful, after all.

That being said, I'm super excited about the Zoom and MKII. :)
Attachments
Screen_Shot_2015-06-09_at_8.04.52_AM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-06-09_at_8.04.52_AM.png (90.66 KiB) Viewed 2731 times
I'm still doing it wrong.
Bandcamp | Soundcloud | Twitter | .com

Koshdukai

09 Jun 2015

JiggeryPokery wrote:But we're agreed the current method is good, yes??! ;)
:s0403:

joeyluck

09 Jun 2015

ncurry wrote:I'd love if Props would do a tutorial about recording IR for the new device. Maybe someone else on the forum has come good tips for doing this. Really, I just miss Frank's VOs.
To capture spaces/create IRs, it's great to have a nice setup with nice mics. There's some tutorials out there. But for starters, just experiment by recording some claps in different rooms with whatever you have. Also, try throwing ANY sample into the RV7000. Heck—put a song in there! You can get some REALLY cool sounds. 

If you download some IRs intended for convolution reverb, and listen to those prior to loading, that will give you a good idea of what you can do to capture spaces.

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2015

ncurry wrote:I'd love if Props would do a tutorial about recording IR for the new device. Maybe someone else on the forum has come good tips for doing this. Really, I just miss Frank's VOs.
I'll try to put something together for non-traditional IR creating (ITB) which has many applications. I've got friends who create IRs and may tap them for some suggestions. 

The main concepts are the same as for any recording: instrument quality (speaker in this case), room position of the instrument/speaker, microphone selection/position/quality, etc. Probably best to use multiple microphone setups if you can since it's a pain to setup the whole shebang and may as well get some position options if possible.

In short, it's a lot like sampling, and the phrase "garbage in, garbage out" couldn't apply more in this case!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

LudvigC
Reason Studios

09 Jun 2015

selig wrote: The main concepts are the same as for any recording: instrument quality (speaker in this case), room position of the instrument/speaker, microphone selection/position/quality, etc. 
Don't forget silence! 

There's a fantastic natural reverb in the woods next to my house, but there's always birds chirping, airplanes overhead, far away motorcycles, etc, etc.

/ lc

selig
RE Developer

09 Jun 2015

selig wrote: The main concepts are the same as for any recording: instrument quality (speaker in this case), room position of the instrument/speaker, microphone selection/position/quality, etc. 
LudvigC wrote:
Don't forget silence! 

There's a fantastic natural reverb in the woods next to my house, but there's always birds chirping, airplanes overhead, far away motorcycles, etc, etc.

/ lc
Indeed, "isolation from unwanted noises" is important to all recording so I should include that as well. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

iramrezso

09 Jun 2015

Setting the focus of Mater Keyboard directly in Rack View is a great enhancement. However I would have expected another button, too, to lock an external surface to the selected device. Right click -> scroll menu -> click has been so annoying for now.

helmutson

09 Jun 2015

RV7000 MK2 works so perfect as a cab sim together with the softube amps ... very lucky now :)

Exowildebeest

09 Jun 2015

Btw, is the new RV7000 RE-based?

Does this mean sample loading to RE's is coming?

normen

09 Jun 2015

Am I doing something wrong or is the predelay for IRs wonky somehow? When I sample an IR I always have a gap at the beginning in the visualizer (but the reverb seems to be immediate) and with imported IRs I seem to have to set the predelay to -20ms to get an immediate reverb tail without predelay..

This is the gap with IRs recorded directly in RV7000:

Didn't have much time to play with it yet, maybe its a mistake on my side..

Edit: Scrap that, I was just too dumb to properly cut the recorded IRs.. Still a -20ms predelay doesn't move the whole sample in when its recorded through RV7000, it always seems to keep the first few samples at the beginning (at least in the visualizer)

Exowildebeest

09 Jun 2015

LudvigC wrote:
Don't forget silence! 

/ lc
There's this thing called "night". If you wait a long time, then after a while it gets dark and silent. It's unreal!

:P

lowpryo

09 Jun 2015

LudvigC wrote:
Don't forget silence! 

/ lc
Exowildebeest wrote:
There's this thing called "night". If you wait a long time, then after a while it gets dark and silent. It's unreal!

:P

tell that to the crickets!

theohilton

09 Jun 2015

beta is reeeeeeeely slow

normen

09 Jun 2015

theohilton wrote:beta is reeeeeeeely slow
Beta is reeeely telling you why that is so in the window you just pressed "OK" on at the start.

Exowildebeest

09 Jun 2015

normen wrote:.

Edit: Scrap that, I was just too dumb to properly cut the recorded IRs.. Still a -20ms predelay doesn't move the whole sample in when its recorded through RV7000, it always seems to keep the first few samples at the beginning (at least in the visualizer)
I did not even realize you could record directly into it  :t2018:

Edit: wow, it's amazing how some simple noise from Thor makes for a fairly realistic hall!

theohilton

09 Jun 2015

pretty much cant even use it its that slow

• Information