Wanna Help Me Pick My Next Computer For Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
chrischrischris

31 May 2017

Hi,

My Ryzen 1800X is flying at the moment but I always thought that My 9590FX did a good job.

I'm selling it cheap because I got a great deal on My Ryzen Setup.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322533363031? ... 1555.l2649

Thanks in advance

Chris

CephaloPod

31 May 2017

OP: Help me buy a new computer.
ReasonTalk: Build your own!
OP: No way I'm building my own.
ReasonTalk: BUILD YOUR OWN!
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

bxbrkrz

31 May 2017

757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

aeox
Competition Winner

31 May 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:Scrap all those computers they are pretty much more expensive than building your own. It is extremely easy to build from scratch and you will get way more bang for your buck.

https://pcpartpicker.com
this was the first thing i said but he really doesn't want to build his own :/

jjkjjk

31 May 2017

No love for Mac?

aeox
Competition Winner

31 May 2017

jjkjjk wrote:No love for Mac?
hes looking for something with some hair on it's chest ;)

stfual

01 Jun 2017

If you can wait a couple of months. I have a gen 2 quad core I7 which is ancient in technology terms but apart from power saving there hasn't been any significant improvement in CPU performance to justify upgrade for years. Intel finally has some competition and has announced their 18 core CPU to compete with AMDS announced 16 core CPU. While I'm not suggesting you need that for Reason, there is a huge step forward taking place this year in CPU which means you will get current tech for less money or much more for the same money. Also most current applications (and operating systems) are extremely poor at utilising multicore so more speed is generally better than more cores. Hopefully that will change but it's been 10 years and it hasn't yet. Of course most applications are running 15 year old core code with an annual update to the UI :)

Also as it hasn't been mentioned consider water cooling. My current rig with a stock cooler used to sound like a hair dryer when heavily loaded with the air con turned off. Fine if you aren't doing audio recording but useless in the average shoebox home studio. I put a massive finned cooler in there which helped but my next PC will have water cooling.

KevTav

01 Jun 2017

I'm typing on a Mac right now. Love em.
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

01 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
hes looking for something with some hair on it's chest ;)
Pretty much this
Yamaha DGX-650 (Controller) - Komplete Audio Interface - Asus GR8 2 - Intel Core i7-7700 3.60 GHz - 16GB RAM - Audio Technica ATH M50x - Yamaha HS 80Ms - Reason 10 - Izotope - Cubase - Pro Tools - Ableton - Epiphones - Taylors - SH*TLOAD of Plug-Ins

KevTav

01 Jun 2017

stfual wrote:If you can wait a couple of months. I have a gen 2 quad core I7 which is ancient in technology terms but apart from power saving there hasn't been any significant improvement in CPU performance to justify upgrade for years. Intel finally has some competition and has announced their 18 core CPU to compete with AMDS announced 16 core CPU. While I'm not suggesting you need that for Reason, there is a huge step forward taking place this year in CPU which means you will get current tech for less money or much more for the same money. Also most current applications (and operating systems) are extremely poor at utilising multicore so more speed is generally better than more cores. Hopefully that will change but it's been 10 years and it hasn't yet. Of course most applications are running 15 year old core code with an annual update to the UI :)

Also as it hasn't been mentioned consider water cooling. My current rig with a stock cooler used to sound like a hair dryer when heavily loaded with the air con turned off. Fine if you aren't doing audio recording but useless in the average shoebox home studio. I put a massive finned cooler in there which helped but my next PC will have water cooling.
Thanks for the offer but I'm gonna go with something new and out the box. And mod it if I need. Appreciate it.

KevTav

01 Jun 2017

aeox wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:Scrap all those computers they are pretty much more expensive than building your own. It is extremely easy to build from scratch and you will get way more bang for your buck.

If I COULD build my own I would. I go crazy trying to run a business and work too much to begin with. I would NEVER get it built and the time would literally cost me thousands

KevTav

01 Jun 2017

CephaloPod wrote:OP: Help me buy a new computer.
ReasonTalk: Build your own!
OP: No way I'm building my own.
ReasonTalk: BUILD YOUR OWN!
I would have said "Hey Reason Talk, help me build a computer"

:|

AttenuationHz

01 Jun 2017

KevTav wrote:
aeox wrote:

If I COULD build my own I would. I go crazy trying to run a business and work too much to begin with. I would NEVER get it built and the time would literally cost me thousands
Well I thought the same never built one before...

I Looked at a handful of YouTube videos 3 hours tops, Ordered all the parts 1 hour tops, Built the thing putting it together like lego (were you good at lego?) 3 hours tops. Out of the 9 days a week you work you can't find 2 Sundays to do all that? You run a business you should be well used to managing your time. When you try and break it down with 0 experience it looks daunting it is not as bad as you think I took a plunge into building my own with no experience what so ever after doing it I look back on it now and its laughable how easy it was.

I'm telling you the absolute best computer you will get for your buck is one that you will build yourself if you don't want to listen to anyone else with that advise just keep your fingers in your ears while going Blaa Blaa Blaa.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

sublunar

02 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
sublunar wrote:I build my computers for 10 year service. I'd recommend 8 core with 4ghz per core or better.
That's just silly. Better build something that's easily upgradable.
They are just as up-gradable as anything else. I actually just swapped out my old dual core AMD for a quad core AMD in the old XP machine just for the hell of it, even though I'm not using it as my main production machine anymore. The point is to be as cheap as possible. I don't want to have to spend money on a computer more often than about 10 years. I'm cheap. My old XP machine still runs great more than 10 years later. Reason 6 and tons of other stuff loaded on it running fine. 24/96 audio with no latency issues. :thumbs_up:

jonheal

02 Jun 2017

I just bought this for my new Reason computer, and for me, it's a real splurge. I haven't paid over $250 for a computer in quite e while. But the old Core2Quad barely stumbles through Reason/VST land.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M4 ... ZWRAJ36F48
Jon Heal:reason: :re: :refill:Do not click this link!

michael.jaye

08 Jun 2017

Hey KevTav, be sure to let us know when you get your new computer, if it's good with Reason I might match the specs for my system.

jonheal

08 Jun 2017

I realize I butted (and continue to butt) into someone else's thread with my own selfish news. Sorry about that. But the $350 refurbished five-year-old i7 arrived and I am about to load Reason and Reaktor on it to see how it does ...

KevTav

09 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:I realize I butted (and continue to butt) into someone else's thread with my own selfish news. Sorry about that. But the $350 refurbished five-year-old i7 arrived and I am about to load Reason and Reaktor on it to see how it does ...

I didn't feel you were 'butting in'. Everyone has their input here. What threads are for :thumbs_up:

Gorgon

09 Jun 2017

KevTav wrote:
jonheal wrote:I realize I butted (and continue to butt) into someone else's thread with my own selfish news. Sorry about that. But the $350 refurbished five-year-old i7 arrived and I am about to load Reason and Reaktor on it to see how it does ...

I didn't feel you were 'butting in'. Everyone has their input here. What threads are for :thumbs_up:
So? Buy anything yet? :)
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

jonheal

09 Jun 2017

So far, I am kind of sad. The instant I installed the Universal Driver for the PreSonus USB interface, I started getting a variety of BSODs. I am researching the path forward ...

KevTav

09 Jun 2017

Gorgon wrote:
KevTav wrote:

So? Buy anything yet? :)
Yep, bought the computer I listed as my final choice. The thing CRANKS. I can have 7 stacked VSTs and the DSP meter is at 20% at most the entire song. This is amazing

jonheal

09 Jun 2017

Awesome. Pretty colors, too.

jonheal

09 Jun 2017

One last hijacking ...

Buy something brand new, and one, quite reasonably, expects instant plug-and-play gratification. Buy something a little aged as I did, and one is possibly in for an adventure ...

Holy shiitake mushroom, that was painful! I think I reinstalled Windows 10 about 10 times before I got it sorted out (I hope!!).

What I thought was a problem with my new (old) machine's compatibility with the PreSonus USB driver, Universal Control, turned out to be a compatibility problem with the latest "Creators" build of Windows 10. After trying many things, eventually, I found a couple of (still quite old) BIOS updates on HP's site that seems to have coaxed the machine into a state where it can accept the Creators update without turning blue.

I am going to wipe it one more time to be sure, and maybe then ... I can install Reason. And then Reaktor, and then, see if I can load more than a few modules into Reaktor and apply a few Reason effects before the CPU maxes out.

Fingers crossed ...
Last edited by jonheal on 09 Jun 2017, edited 1 time in total.

KevTav

09 Jun 2017

jonheal wrote:One last hijacking ...

Buy something brand new, and one, quite reasonably, expects instant plug-and-play gratification. But something a little aged as I did, and one is possibly in for an adventure.

Holy shiitake mushroom, that was painful! I think I reinstalled Windows 10 about 10 times before I got it sorted out (I hope!!).

What I thought was a problem with my new (old) machine's compatibility with the PreSonus USB driver, Universal Control, turned out to be a compatibility problem with the latest "Creators" build of Windows 10. After trying many things, eventually, I found a couple of (still quite old) BIOS updates on HP's site that seems to have coaxed the machine into a state where it can accept the Creators update without turning blue.

I am going to wipe it one more time to be sure, and maybe then ... I can install Reason. And then Reaktor, and then, see if I can load more than a few modules into Reaktor and apply a few Reason effects before the CPU maxes out.

Fingers crossed ...
Good luck, sounds like a task

• Information